Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Some Scrot Has Stolen The Plates Of My Wifes Car!

Fizz

Very random.. got in my car to set off to work this morning while still half asleep and i see the front plate of the Yaris missing.

Went to take a closer look and it had been unscrewed off along with the rear! FFS!

Got her to phone the local cop shop and tell them that she aint been commiting any crimes over night just in case they think otherwise! :rolleyes:

Seriously though... that means another £60 odd quid out of my back pocket!

Rant over!

I recon they will be used for something hooky in my opinion :eek:

Doncha just love people who do things like this? :angry: :ffs:

This has been happening a lot of the last few years. It has serious implications and you are correct in reporting it to the Police. I hope the reason is some scroat wanted a bit of fun and smashed them up and tossed them over the nearest hedge, the next reason is somebody has a cloned and dodgy Yaris and wants to use the identity of your car. The other reason they nick plates is to avoid congestion charge payments, you may find invoicing coming through the post saying you havnt paid the congestion charge :eek: We have had cars with the plates nicked off them, it is nearly always followed up by speed camera fines and parking tickets, I hope this doesnt happen to you as it is a right pain to get sorted out

On another note, why £60 out of your back pocket? do I need to put my prices up :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Although it does mean for a while you don't have to slow down for speed camera's! :lol:

This has been happening a lot of the last few years. It has serious implications and you are correct in reporting it to the Police. I hope the reason is some scroat wanted a bit of fun and smashed them up and tossed them over the nearest hedge, the next reason is somebody has a cloned and dodgy Yaris and wants to use the identity of your car. The other reason they nick plates is to avoid congestion charge payments, you may find invoicing coming through the post saying you havnt paid the congestion charge :eek: We have had cars with the plates nicked off them, it is nearly always followed up by speed camera fines and parking tickets, I hope this doesnt happen to you as it is a right pain to get sorted out

On another note, why £60 out of your back pocket? do I need to put my prices up :lol:

Aye.. too true... get this though.. The copper came out within 55 min of my wife reporting it which supprised me a tad since it took 3 hours for them to come out when my mums place had a break in! :huh: Maybe the response times are getting better after all! :)

Well as you say i did the right thing in contacting the cops as i have a feeling they aint been taken because they look nice. Even when the copper came round he told the wife that she shouldnt worry if she gets a call stating that her car was at the scene of a crime! lol

Im presuming it costs circa £30 a plate as i remember getting my import MR2 dont a few years back and even then it cost about £25.

Gaz - Copper told the wife that she can drive the car until she gets the plates sorted but just to have a note in the window to say that she is off to Halfords to get it sorted! :lol: See.. some coppers are actually alright!

Little Baskets :ffs: !!

I recently replaced my front plate for £9.99 plus extra £1 for a flag at my local motor factors. £30 sounds steep.

I'm sure you know that if you go to Halfords or any place other than the dealer who supplied it (sometimes even them), you will need your V5 document and all sorts of ID before they will issue a set of plates?

Well if they charge £60 a pair, I DO need to put my prices up :lol:

We sell ours at £25 a pair but we dont do them online because you need proof of identity, strangely enough, I had the DVLA in here today doing a spot check on our plates/admin (We passed, phew!) They are really clamping down on the illegal show plates that you can buy online. As from 1st November the ONLY details that can go on a plate are, Plate makers name, Post code, British Standard number, and GB/EU emblem built in. NO phone numbers, NO stickers, According to the DVLA man, there is going to be a crackdown on dodgy plates

You need to take with you

1: Identity such as, driving licence or utility bill, or passport, or debit/credit card

AND

2: V5 Reg Doc, or Certificate of entitlement, or a letter from lease company etc (there are a few!)

When you get the replacement plates make sure they are glued and not screwed to the car. More and more plates are attached this way to stop them being nicked for nefarious purposes.

Might not stop someone trying to take them but when they shatter they are no use for sticking on a dodgy motor.

Hills now make a pair of number plates you can't steal, called SECURE PLATE These plates are bolted and glued in place, if you try and pull a plate off, it will just break up into several pieces. These plates are about £75 a pair, as they take a good 30-45 mins to fit, per pair. Not a lot of money if you consider the hassle of trying to prove it wasnt your car/you trying to avoid fines/charges/jail :eek::lol:

I hate having to have a supplier post code on plates....

£25 for the pair from Toyota... also they offered a fitting charge of £20.50!! I mean FFS what effort does it take to put on 4 screws!!!!!

I hate having to have a supplier post code on plates....

Tough..it's da lawww :lol: :lol: :lol:

£25 for the pair from Toyota... also they offered a fitting charge of £20.50!! I mean FFS what effort does it take to put on 4 screws!!!!!

lmao

I'll fit them for half that for you! :thumbsup:

The real kicker would be if someone swiped your plates late at night. Did whatever nefarious deed they have in mind. Then replace your plates before you go to your car the next day... Ouch.

Hills now make a pair of number plates you can't steal, called SECURE PLATE These plates are bolted and glued in place, if you try and pull a plate off, it will just break up into several pieces. These plates are about £75 a pair, as they take a good 30-45 mins to fit, per pair. Not a lot of money if you consider the hassle of trying to prove it wasnt your car/you trying to avoid fines/charges/jail :eek::lol:

These look like a sound investment, but would super glue not have a similar effect! :P I reckon that trying to prove your innocence to some of the crimes that could potentially be committed would be a reet pain in the bum.

I've edited my opinion as it offended the powers that be so much! Why not delete it, you're mods after all. Technically that opinion now only appears on your posts.

:unsure:

Would you insurance not cover it ? If you have protected no claims it might be worth it ?

Could you ring them & poss get autorisation to purchase a pair & then send off the invoice ?

That way you could get the plates you want rather than the cheapest pair?

I'm not 100% sure what the protocol is with things like this ?

As personally I've never had to make a car insurance claim in 28 years of motoring !

(Touch wood.)

The excess usually associated with motor insurance would be more than the cost of the replacement number plates

Most motor policies these days carry at least £200 excess to prevent policyholders making small claims.

Protected no claims is a totally different aspect.

:unsure:

Would you insurance not cover it ? If you have protected no claims it might be worth it ?

Could you ring them & poss get autorisation to purchase a pair & then send off the invoice ?

That way you could get the plates you want rather than the cheapest pair?

I'm not 100% sure what the protocol is with things like this ?

As personally I've never had to make a car insurance claim in 28 years of motoring !

(Touch wood.)

one word....

Excess

have to be !Removed! special plates to make that worthwhile

Edited because of complaints, If it was so terrible why didn't mods edit it ,they usually do, I wonder why not in this case?

Any other damage, were they extra careful removing them or did they do that scratch on the bumper (The scratch that's been annoying you for months? ) ;)

As I've said I've never had to make a car insurance claim all my long motoring like so abit green when it comes to this.

The OP stated:

Went to take a closer look and it had been unscrewed off along with the rear! FFS!

Dont think that unsrewing the plates would cause enough damage to need getting the insurance company involved.

You are not suggesting that he attempts to defraud the insurance company are you? :nono::rolleyes:

Don't be so wet ! :P

As I pointed out I've never had to make an car insurance claim myself. He may have had a series of small claims issues that weren't worth the claim !?

As proven by recent events, the financial sector have had it there way far too long. The whole issue of "excess" is ridiculous. the amount of stories I've heard of "corrupt" bank & insurance companies doesn't fill me with the slightest tinge of sympathy for them. There's plenty of cases of people & members on here doing stuff "abit dodgy" with reguards to their cars so put your halo away.How would members feel if they lost an insurance claim because they failed to mention they'd put a slightly more attractive bumper on but hadn't informed the insurance company straight away, it happens !

I had a 1963 Classic motorcycle that the insurance company tried to rip me off when it was stolen, they tried to apply standard devaluation to it & offered me £25 !

So excuse me for not giving a toss. I have paid a fortune over time on Car insurance without ever getting a penny back so I'm not the type of person that rips em off, it's just that when you have a case like the theft of parts & possible damage, no matter how slight (I'm sure they didn't take special care.) then they should simply pay out, they always find ways to withold payment so why can't policy holders find a way to claim for just things !

If there isn't other issue with the car then all this is a mute point.

Plus people have minds of their own, they can choose their own course of action, on forums people simply put their points of views forward. Some ill judged,some plain daft, some reactionary but many because it's a fair point/suggestion.

So lighten up ! :yes:

Wow that was a bit of a rant..................maybe it is you that should lighten up. ;)

Whatever we may think of Insurance companies the EXCESS scheme is there to keep the premium costs down for the vast majority of policy holders...............without excesses, most of us would be paying much more for insurance.

Insurance costs have risen over the years partly because of fraudulant claims where people have misled the companies and not declared that they had "enhanced" their cars,then wondered why the companies would not pay out when they claimed.

Your "Classic" motorcycle should have been insured under an "Agreed Value" policy................costing slightly more..........but paying you out the agreed value in the case of loss :thumbsup:

I am not being "wet"..................I do have some experience with Commercial Insurance and my "Halo" has served me very well over the years :P ;) :lol: so I have no intention of putting it away ;) :rolleyes:

Part of our responsibility as Mods is to ensure that the forum not only runs smoothly, but also that people are adhering to the terms and conditions.

Anything to do with frauding an insurance company is against the law and therefore we can't have people advising other people to do it.

Same as we don't allow people to brag about speed - TOC cannot and will not condone racing or speeding on public roads.

So don't take it personally H.K. Run.

Don't be so wet ! :P

As I pointed out I've never had to make an car insurance claim myself. He may have had a series of small claims issues that weren't worth the claim !?

As proven by recent events, the financial sector have had it there way far too long. The whole issue of "excess" is ridiculous. the amount of stories I've heard of "corrupt" bank & insurance companies doesn't fill me with the slightest tinge of sympathy for them. There's plenty of cases of people & members on here doing stuff "abit dodgy" with reguards to their cars so put your halo away.

How would members feel if they lost an insurance claim because they failed to mention they'd put a slightly more attractive bumper on but hadn't informed the company tried to rip me off when it was stolen, they tried to apply standard devaluation to it & offered me £25 !insurance company straight away, it happens !

I had a 1963 Classic motorcycle that the insurance

So excuse me for not giving a toss. I have paid a fortune over time on Car insurance without ever getting a penny back so I'm not the type of person that rips em off, it's just that when you have a case like the theft of parts & possible damage, no matter how slight (I'm sure they didn't take special care.) then they should simply pay out, they always find ways to withold payment so why can't policy holders find a way to claim for just things !

If there isn't other issue with the car then all this is a mute point.

Plus people have minds of their own, they can choose their own course of action, on forums people simply put their points of views forward. Some ill judged,some plain daft, some reactionary but many because it's a fair point/suggestion.

So lighten up ! :yes:

Flexy7 you are clearly off your face, making an insurance claim over some plates? WTF

Flexy7 you are clearly off your face, making an insurance claim over some plates? WTF
Flexy7 ? Don't you mean H.K.Run !

If you'd read the post properly then I was making the point that it's ridiculous that you can have little things stolen, damaged etc..but not be able to claim for them.

Forums are a place of opinions so lighten up, it's just people voicing opinions.

I also don't condone speed (100% clean licence,& I also ride large motorcycles.)but if I saw an insurance salesman crossing the road....!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links