Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Price Of Diesel

RiverAuris

We're new to owning a Diesel. Someone please explain to me why its now 12p more expensive than petrol, the tax is the same. :angry:

Because Petrol & Diesel are different fuels

The same could be said about petrol and v power, same tax but completely different products

:thumbsup:

Due to the process of making diseasel and then making it more eco friendly it costs more to make, hence why it is more expensive, granted 10p a litre more at my garage!

It's always been 10-12p more expensive than petrol.... in some cases more so.... even I know that and I've never owned a diesel!

But you tend to get more miles to the gallon in a diesel so everythings eventual. :thumbsup:

It's always been 10-12p more expensive than petrol....

Er........no. It used to be 10-12p CHEAPER than petrol before it got popular for cars. Once the diesel car market really took off, the price crept up to where it is now. Diesel used to be the 'Works Van' fuel, then the engines got much better, quieter and more reliable and there was profit to be had !!

It's all theft anyway. OPEC today announced that they are cutting worldwide production by a million barrels a day - their reason............................to keep the price of a barrel of oil at a higher level - the poor little lambs weren't making enough profit.

It's always been 10-12p more expensive than petrol....

Er........no. It used to be 10-12p CHEAPER than petrol before it got popular for cars. Once the diesel car market really took off, the price crept up to where it is now. Diesel used to be the 'Works Van' fuel, then the engines got much better, quieter and more reliable and there was profit to be had !!

It's all theft anyway. OPEC today announced that they are cutting worldwide production by a million barrels a day - their reason............................to keep the price of a barrel of oil at a higher level - the poor little lambs weren't making enough profit.

Errr yes. Unlike you I've not been driving for 30 years.... :P

We're not talking about fuel in 1978, we're talking about fuel now - and in the last 5 years or so, it has been and unless you've been living under a rock, it's something most people know.... ;)

Because those ocean going yachts aren't cheap.

Theiving basts.

these ocean going yachts that you are talking about dont pay fuel tax

they used to sail out 12 miles into international waters and back again to be able to get tax free fuel

they cant do that now, so now they sail to another country, get the relevant paperwork stamped and the sail back again to get 170,000L to 700,000L of tax free fuel

It had to happen at some point Nadim.... just stay calm!

Price of Diesel is all down to "Market Forces" - remember that magic bullet Thatcher sold most people in England??

To quote Wikipedia..."

The density of petroleum diesel is about 0.85 kg/l (7.09 lbs/gallon) whereas petrol (gasoline) has a density of about 0.72 kg/l (6.01 lbs/gallon), about 15% less. When burnt, diesel typically releases about 38.6 MJ/l (138,700 BTU per US gallon), whereas gasoline releases 34.9 MJ/l (125,000 BTU per US gallon), 10% lear[4] by energy density, but 45.41 MJ/kg and 48.47 MJ/kg, 6.7% more by specific energy. Diesel is generally simpler to refine from petroleum than gasoline. The price of diesel traditionally rises during colder months as demand for heating oil rises, which is refined in much the same way. Due to its higher level of pollutants, diesel must undergo additional filtration[citation needed] which contributes to a sometimes higher cost. In many parts of the United States and throughout the UK and Australia[5] diesel may be higher priced than petrol.[6] Reasons for higher priced diesel include the shutdown of some refineries in the Gulf of Mexico, diversion of mass refining capacity to gasoline production, and a recent transfer to ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD), which causes infrastructural complications.[7]

"

Read more (if you really must ..) at....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel

I stand corrected - didn't realise that the word 'Always' only referred to the last 10 years ! :P

Only to those young enough not to know any different Rich ;) :lol:

We're not talking about fuel in 1978, we're talking about fuel now - and in the last 5 years or so, it has been and unless you've been living under a rock, it's something most people know....
In that case...

We have ALWAYS had a Labour Government

The US president has ALWAYS been Bush

Speed cameras have ALWAYS been used as have speed bumps

Car dials would read in KM/H and l/100km (as imperial measurements NEVER happened)

You would buy your milk, beer, wine etc in metric measurements

Most of the TV stations we have now would have no programs to view (seeing as most of the stuff on them was made 20 years ago, let alone 5)

There would only be 1000 DVD's and 5000 CD's to buy from Amazon or HMV instead of the millions they have

There is no problem with refugees and immigrants (cos that's how it's always been)

If history is only the last 5 -10 years we would learn nothing from our past.

I don't know, kids today...pass me my zimmer :wheelchair:

We're not talking about fuel in 1978, we're talking about fuel now - and in the last 5 years or so, it has been and unless you've been living under a rock, it's something most people know....
In that case...

We have ALWAYS had a Labour Government

The US president has ALWAYS been Bush

Speed cameras have ALWAYS been used as have speed bumps

Car dials would read in KM/H and l/100km (as imperial measurements NEVER happened)

You would buy your milk, beer, wine etc in metric measurements

Most of the TV stations we have now would have no programs to view (seeing as most of the stuff on them was made 20 years ago, let alone 5)

There would only be 1000 DVD's and 5000 CD's to buy from Amazon or HMV instead of the millions they have

There is no problem with refugees and immigrants (cos that's how it's always been)

If history is only the last 5 -10 years we would learn nothing from our past.

I don't know, kids today...pass me my zimmer :wheelchair:

Are you being serious? :unsure:

This is a thread about fuel.... there is no point talking about fuel prices 30 years ago purely because its not relevant to the topic in hand...

So why bring up a load of other stuff that's even more non-relevant?? :rolleyes::unsure:

Fuel today costs x-amount, there is no point reminiscing about the "good old days"!

This is a thread about fuel.... there is no point talking about fuel prices 30 years ago purely because its not relevant to the topic in hand...
Of course what happened 30 years ago makes a difference. How do you think oil prices are controlled? Why are they controlled that way?

Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPEC

If Toyota had developed hybrid cars years ago or cars like it would there be such a reliance on oil as there is now? If previous Governments had looked for alternative fuels 30 years ago would the whole World still rely on fossil fuels so much.

So why bring up a load of other stuff that's even more non-relevant??
To make the point that things that happened in the past are relevant to how we live today.

and here's me thinking it was a simple question....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links