Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charging/heat

TokeTillDeath420

Been a LONG time reader, but im always searching history. So i almost always find my answer. But now, I have a question. Im sure you'll see more in the future, but for now... Heres the deal:

I start my car, no problems (actually, in cold weather i head a "th th th th" sound... and i know its my ALT belt slipping cause my volts take a while to charge, i think its cause the belt tightens in cold weather) normal i hope... BUT thats not my problem. From Low Water Temp to Normal Water Temp Normal volatge 14.2 - 14.5. BUT, my car has a tendency to go to 3/4 Water Temp (Needle right above the symbol) and sits there while in traffic or not driving(never goes higher). When i drive Highway, it goes to normal. Or long distances with constant speed is Normal. Quesiton #1, What could this be??? Maybe an air pocket in the coolant?? NOW, question #2... WHILE at 3/4 water temp... Car drives great, but when i press in the clucth and put it in nut. to stop at a red or stop sign... It goes down to about 550-600RPM and kinda bogs, PLUS my Voltage drops to like 13.1 or 13.2... sometimes 12.8... but after 3 seconds it goes back up to 13.8-14 and 800 RPM...(No noises, and a little less then normal) I have other problems I will get to later, but this is my major issue... As im in Florida, US, and its gonna get real hot in like 3 months.... Any help would be very greatful!

Been a LONG time reader, but im always searching history. So i almost always find my answer. But now, I have a question. Im sure you'll see more in the future, but for now... Heres the deal:

I start my car, no problems (actually, in cold weather i head a "th th th th" sound... and i know its my ALT belt slipping cause my volts take a while to charge, i think its cause the belt tightens in cold weather) normal i hope... BUT thats not my problem. From Low Water Temp to Normal Water Temp Normal volatge 14.2 - 14.5. BUT, my car has a tendency to go to 3/4 Water Temp (Needle right above the symbol) and sits there while in traffic or not driving(never goes higher). When i drive Highway, it goes to normal. Or long distances with constant speed is Normal. Quesiton #1, What could this be??? Maybe an air pocket in the coolant?? NOW, question #2... WHILE at 3/4 water temp... Car drives great, but when i press in the clucth and put it in nut. to stop at a red or stop sign... It goes down to about 550-600RPM and kinda bogs, PLUS my Voltage drops to like 13.1 or 13.2... sometimes 12.8... but after 3 seconds it goes back up to 13.8-14 and 800 RPM...(No noises, and a little less then normal) I have other problems I will get to later, but this is my major issue... As im in Florida, US, and its gonna get real hot in like 3 months.... Any help would be very greatful!

Sorry, forgot to mention, i have a 1991 MR2 Turbo...

Is the alternator belt slack? If not, then the cause of the belt slippage will be the alternator itself. The pulley bearings have a habit of seizing. If you replace your alternator I think most of your problems will be solved. Even possibly the drop in revs when you dip the clutch.

Your cooling problem is likely to be a partially stuck (closed) thermostat. Either this or your radiator is partially clogged. Change the stat. If this doesn't solve the problem I would recommend flushing the system - if possible remove the radiator to do this properly.

An air lock in the system would usually show itself in the heater pipes. If this were the problem then the heater would be permanently blowing cold.

Is the alternator belt slack? If not, then the cause of the belt slippage will be the alternator itself. The pulley bearings have a habit of seizing. If you replace your alternator I think most of your problems will be solved. Even possibly the drop in revs when you dip the clutch.

Your cooling problem is likely to be a partially stuck (closed) thermostat. Either this or your radiator is partially clogged. Change the stat. If this doesn't solve the problem I would recommend flushing the system - if possible remove the radiator to do this properly.

An air lock in the system would usually show itself in the heater pipes. If this were the problem then the heater would be permanently blowing cold.

Well, My Alt belt is perfect... only slips when very cold(or wet). My heater blows hot, definitly not a problem with heat. The radiator is kinda sandblasted a little, but i dont think that is a deal in this situation. Thought it was the alternator... Ive tightened and loosend the belt no prob(Actually my adjust bolt for my alternator is stripped!! =-O But i have enough to make it tight)... Ive heard you can take the alt out from the top... but how do you get the AC belt off(loosened enough to take it off)... BUT some background info, My car has been sitting for 4 years, with the occasional start once or twice a month, could the ALT pulley seize from that... even though, it starts normal in warm weather??

New to to the MR2... Ive also heard the thermostats might be the prob... But its weird it stops at 3/4 heat.... where is the Thermostat located in the engine..?

Lastly, since the Alt. Adjust bolt is stripped(can only loosen to a certain point).. im assuming that would be a !Removed! to get off... any suggestions.???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links