Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Save The World! Save Yourself Money

Hoovie

Does anyone else thing that the light they give out is a little.... "Inadequate"??

We replaced our porch light with one and can hardly tell when its on without looking at the bulb itself.....

you can get the higher wattage ones of course. Think the CFL lamp is meant to be 1/5th the power of a conventional GLS lamp but I am dubious about that myself.

The first generation ones (relly bulky ones )were pretty poor as well - but lasted well so don't get replaced

god, sounding like a lightbulb anorak :(

you can get the higher wattage ones of course. Think the CFL lamp is meant to be 1/5th the power of a conventional GLS lamp but I am dubious about that myself.

The first generation ones (relly bulky ones )were pretty poor as well - but lasted well so don't get replaced

god, sounding like a lightbulb anorak :(

I thought you were B)

Does anyone else thing that the light they give out is a little.... "Inadequate"??

We replaced our porch light with one and can hardly tell when its on without looking at the bulb itself.....

Yep :yes:

Bought one.....once

Tried it...........once

Threw it away.......once

Its not just me then!!!

-Although ours ar epretty old so probably "early" ones!

I heard that a new was to be passed that would "ban" traditional element bulbs in favour of the "energy saving" ones?? Was I dreaming it?

"Save electricity-Save the planet"

I'm all for it but you don't think it might be that there are thousands of people like us who have tried it, realised how crap they are and now they have millions of unsold energy saving "DULLBS" stockpiled that they need to offload? :rolleyes:

they ARE worthwhile just for the amount of money you can save per year - it runs into hundreds of quid a year.

The early ones were pretty poor and there is still a big range in quality - invest in a top make, like Megaman and you will be much more impressed - you won't like the price - they can be upto £15 each (though generally about £6-£9) but you will save that in the 'leccy saved easily.

There are plans to phase out 'normal' bulbs, yes - In fact, on new builds, there is a requirement for a certain percentage of lights to be low energy fittings.

out of interest, just HOW much light to you need in a porch light :eek: I have a CFL in my porch light (think it is a 11W one) and it is plenty good enough to see what I need to see. Maybe I would not sit under it to read a book, but more then adequate for the need.

Guess you dinosaurs can carry on wasting your money on electricity :) I'll use CFLs appropriately and spend the savings on me RAV4 :D

OK you have convinced me :yes:

I'll convert to the new Dullbs as soon as I get some of THESE :P :lol:

Only kidding ;)

Like Karma, my bulb was an early one so I'll give a new one a go :thumbsup: but don't forget, the older dinosaurs get the poorer their eyesight B)

Honestly, worth a go :thumbsup: - and Philips IS one of the better brands.

One other little benefit ... these lamps last 5 x longer so handy in places where it is a pain to change a lamp.

It's for an external porch light, not the internal one!

We also tried some in our garden lights and they were useless!, -they also take a while to start up when its cold...

Then again I think our electricity bill was something daft like £3k last quarter!!!

Honestly, worth a go :thumbsup: - and Philips IS one of the better brands.

One other little benefit ... these lamps last 5 x longer so handy in places where it is a pain to change a lamp.

I always take that statement with a pinch of salt regarding bulbs CLICKY, I have bulbs here that have been going for at least 20 years and I would love to survive another 100 years to check the claims out ;) if they base it on these, how do they know that their product lasts 500 years+? :lol:

Ordinary bulbs / CFL's

Just in case you are feeling a bit dim.....

This is a guide to the difference between the power output of an ordinary light bulb compared to the power output and brightness achievable when looking to convert to an energy saving or energy efficient light bulb.

Standard Wattage = Energy Saving Equivalent

40 Watt = 7 Watt

50 Watt = 9 Watt

60 Watt = 11 Watt

70 Watt = 13 Watt

75 Watt = 15 Watt

90 Watt = 18 Watt

100 Watt = 20 Watt

110 Watt = 23 Watt

125 Watt = 25 Watt

150 Watt = 30 Watt

Yes they are CRAP....

The use less energy as they give out about 4 watts....

I still think Edison had the right idea :P

And well all be running on nuclear power in 20 years time so there will be no energy crisis.

Yes they are CRAP....

The use less energy as they give out about 4 watts....

I still think Edison had the right idea

And well all be running on nuclear power in 20 years time so there will be no energy crisis.

that is why they are called energy saving lamps :rolleyes: :) the key is efficiency! If you have a 60W lamp then a 11W CFL should be the logical replacement - if you think it is too dim, get a 15W CFL or even a 20W CFL - you will still be saving 3/4 or 2/3 of the electricity!

(oh - and MY Porch light is outside as well )

and re nuclear power .... anyone remember Tomorrows World from the early 70's? "By the year 2000 Electricity will be free due to nuclear energy"

I am loving how people take measures to save millilitres of petrol everytime they driver but don't do a one-off "fit & forget" process to save £100's

Tried everything you said... still dim lol, efficiency is for n00bs :lol: real men need power :lol:

And nuclear power in the 70's was a pipe dream, trust me, in the future, your toaster, telly, fridge... everything, will be powered by nuke, ive seen the future, and it wont be free, as i plan to be part of its 500Billion Pound per year industry :D

My wife wont buy these bulbs, she reckons they look too much like tampax :shutit:

you can get "bulb" shaped bulbs as well :) I went for those in my hall and landing as the "Tx" ones are not that good looking ;)

Bought one.....once

Tried it...........once

Threw it away.......once

I found that they take a while to warm up & then seem ok. We are going to have to get used to them, here, as the traditional kind will be unobtainable next year.

Won't bother me as I have energy savers everywhere :thumbsup:

Main problem is disposal. You can't just "Bin" them as they contain a major pollutant - mercury, if my memory serves me right. You have to return them to where bought or nearest recycling Depot. In fact, if one falls & breaks, it is advised that everyone leaves the room for 10-15 minutes, till the vapour disappears

My wife wont buy these bulbs, she reckons they look too much like tampax :shutit:

Apart from the dental floss

Bought one.....once

Tried it...........once

Threw it away.......once

I found that they take a while to warm up & then seem ok. We are going to have to get used to them, here, as the traditional kind will be unobtainable next year.

Won't bother me as I have energy savers everywhere :thumbsup:

Main problem is disposal. You can't just "Bin" them as they contain a major pollutant - mercury, if my memory serves me right. You have to return them to where bought or nearest recycling Depot. In fact, if one falls & breaks, it is advised that everyone leaves the room for 10-15 minutes, till the vapour disappears

Omg just another reason not to use these bulbs - i would honestly rather pay the extra £200 quid a year to have proper effective lighting, and save myself a fortune in specsaver bills! The light they give off is truely awful, it makes you strain your eyes , they take forever to come on, some times im only in a room for literally 10 seconds to grab something, i can be in and out again before the bulb has even come on properly! Useless.

And i love it how everyone thinks that these bulbs will help save the world - our electricity company sent all their customers two free bulbs - what a waste of energy that was, making the bulbs, transporting them and packaging them! what energy the bulbs did actually save (for those who actually used them and didnt bin them)- the electricity company used up by sending them out! :bangin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links