Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Coolant

sagoo33

Hey I have a 1991 3.0L Turbo Surf, which is loosing coolant.

I had a compression test performed and it came back one was low, so I got some rad seal stuff and shoved that in, that seemed to help.

One thing I have noticed, is if I keep below 40mph (64kph) I don't loose any coolant at all, the engine doesn't over heat and all is ok.

It is almost like when the turbo kicks in and I'm going over 40mph, the coolant radiator level drops.

The turbo is water cooled right? Could there be a leak in there as opposed to a head gasket?

The reason I dont suspect the head anymore, is becaus however long or far I drive, it only ever looses the same amount of cooland (1 litre).

Also, the level only goes down when driving, I left it idling for 12 hours while the rad seal was in, and the level didnt drop.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

Has this been fitted with another engine, as a 1991 Surf should be a 2.4ltr.

I would think that the problem is a cracked head, try a new rad cap and thermostat and check the water pump for leaks, also have the coolant checked for exhaust gases.

Has this been fitted with another engine, as a 1991 Surf should be a 2.4ltr.

I would think that the problem is a cracked head, try a new rad cap and thermostat and check the water pump for leaks, also have the coolant checked for exhaust gases.

Oops, It's a 1993....

I've taken the thermostat out, so I know its not that, I can't see any leaks around the water pump either.

It's really strange, it doensn't overheat, and only ever looses the same amount of coolant, and only when going over that certain speed.

Cheers,

Adam

It's not a good idea to run it without the thermostat, also have you changed the rad cap and done the exhaust gas check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links