Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq V Aygo

daveyjp

Also posted on the IQ forum, but you may not visit there!

I've just seen an IQ - Trafford Centre Manchester has one on display for anyone local - near the food court.

My first reaction was how much it was - the model on display was £10,495, 50% more than our Aygo cost, but is it 50% better?

Interior is very high quality, more Yaris, Auris than the cheaper offering of the Aygo. Only three doors and the main doors are quite large - opening in car parks may need plenty of room as it's quite a wide car.

Person I spoke to was obviously well programmed to react to any mention of the Aygo - as soon as the name is mentioned she was off! Zero road tax (so that saves me £35, soon to be £20 a year), group 1 insurance, better equipped - it has traction control and stability programme, I can't see the point in either in a city car, congestion charge free - considering only London has a CC and the low CO2 exemption has been dropped this was a red herring.

The spec list shows it has plenty of goodies found on larger cars, hence the high price.

My main concern was the rear - no boot and the rear headrests virtually touches the rear window. In a rear end crash I wouldn't want to be in the back. I highlighted this and was told it was NCAP 5* - it probably is, but that only tests a front impact was my response.

All in all expensive for a city car. Toyota will have to do some real selling to overcome the obvious comparison with the Aygo. If you want a better specced city car this could be it, but get saving.

Road test reports say the engine is lackluster compared to the Aygo and considering the Aygo isn't the fastest car in the world you do have to wonder how it would be out of the City.

Regards

Andy

also regarding the rear crash safety, the IQ is the first car to be fitted with a rear curtain airbag!

I thought that was what the headrests were supposed to do, to me the rear airbags look like another cost that you will have to pay to be repaired whenever you get a very minor tap on the backend.

I still dont understand where the IQ fits within the Toyota range, sure looks funky and its another attempt to fit in the new Eco world, but as you say cost and performance wise you would still go for the Aygo I think.

Where does the IQ stand in comparison with the Smart car given that it is still is closest competitor in giving that the IQ only seats 3 adults?

I think the IQ is aimed squarely at the Smart FourTwo type customers.

Thanks I got that :lol: I dont think my Rubbish to English translator machine is working today

I meant how does it compare price, eco and power wise to the SmartForTwo?

I think the IQ is aimed squarely at the Smart FourTwo type customers.

Thanks I got that :lol: I dont think my Rubbish to English translator machine is working today

I meant how does it compare price, eco and power wise to the SmartForTwo?

A Smart FourTwo 1.0 Passion has 83BHP/57 MPG and is £9,200, the spec is ok Alloys/Air Con/Leccy Windows

The IQ is worlds apart from the Aygo, the IQ is aimed more at the premium buyer, thats why its got such an ambitious price tag! I wouldnt be suprised if they thought long and hard about calling it a Lexus in the same way Audi did with the A2, shame that car was so far ahead of its time.

The Aygo is a budget car, the IQ is not! Hence the price difference.

While they are similar (ish) in size and share an engine, the similarities end there. The IQ is much more luxurious with more gadgets and nicer trim, it's been built to a much higher price point, while the Aygo was built to be as cheap as possible.

So, depends what you're after - if you want cheap to buy and run, then get an Aygo. If you want a small, cool car with all the mod cons, and can afford another £2k-£3k get the IQ. :thumbsup:

• 12 years later...
On 11/23/2008 at 9:59 AM, KevinKevin said:

Has the iQ got the same engine as the bugs AYGO, C1 & 107 considering it has 68bhp. Sounds similar.

Thats what I came on here for, coz the IQ when you look it up is built in Japan and the Ayago (badged car) is built in the Czech Republic, so that would explain the price difference and make me want the IQ more because engines built in Japan are much higher quality and that’s why you buy a Toyota for build quality right? so it wouldn’t be “the same” engine, please if anyone can give more clarity on this would be helpful. 

It is a 13 year old topic so not really relevant as the IQ and first generation Aygo are both out of production - the IQ because of low sales and being too expensive to re-engineer for the required safety updates.

Both were replaced by the second generation Aygo, which itself is due to be replaced within the next year.

The KR series engine was designed by Daihatsu (now solely owned by Toyota), and was used in the IQ, Aygo/C1/107/108 (first and second generations), Yaris, Daihatsu Boon/Sirion/Toyota Passo/Perodua Myvi/Subaru Justy, Daihatsu Cuore, and some other models. Built by both Toyota and Daihatsu in Japan and by Toyota in Poland.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links