Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Oil Consumption

TokeTillDeath420

I have a 91 Turbo... And it goes through about a Liter of oil Almost every 3 weeks to 1 1/2 months. (Full to Low on the Dip stick)... I have a very slow leak from the oil plug, just too lazy to fix it... but no way its 1 liter every month and a half. I do not have any smoke coming from my exhaust... but i do notice before turbo spools up, the car stutters alot(not a very smooth acceleration). No signs of external leaks from the turbo or block. The car is also running very rich... My timing belt hasnt been changed in a while... Ive heard it could be the throttle body needs cleaning. It has 140k miles. When in 1st gear, i do hear a little bit of knocking in the engine, but ONLY in 1st gear. I hear the turbo spool up fine, no grinding... BOV sounds good. Any ideas on what the oil consupmtion could come from???

piston rings perhaps? my car is burning a bit of oil as well, granted that it is not as much as yours, but my car doesnt leak or blow smoke. only time it smokes is when under heavy acceleration, but i come to the conclusion that is just unburnt fuel!

i've been told using thicker oil might help a bit which i've done, i used to use 10w 40 but i've swapped it for 15w40 Castrol high milage mineral oil, idealy i would like to use thicker fully synthetic oil but this is just a temporarely measure just to see if it solves the problem. well so far so good, the car is still burning oil bit it is only tiny amount, even after 'hard' driving!

Well, i just bought a new car, so time to take the mr2 off the road and investigate and repair some *****. Thanks for the help!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links