Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

She Got A Taste For Oil.....

SMiFFAD

I know its common for certain makes of cars to loose a bit of oil over time, but this is not normal!

Every two weeks im having to put in at least a litre of oil, with no visible leaks. When i first got it i noticed a burning oil type of smell after driving, this has since gone, but the iol levels still heading south all the time.....

Any common problems i should know about, leaks i may not have spotted? anything?

:help:

Think i will have re-built the entire car by next year :angry:

headgasket is most likely cause,but youve probs already checked that!? check for a mayonnaise like deposit around oil filler cap?

Get someone to follow you when driving. Get them to see if the car emits excessive blue/black smoke when the engine is under load. How many miles has your car done? Could be worn piston rings, bore etc. at the more expensive end.

Its done 91,000 miles give or take (converted from KM)

Just praying i get my xmas bonus in the end, can just give it to toyota to sort it! :(

On the flip side i cant see any white snot in the cooling system, will check again tomorrow.

places oil leaks from include oil pump (you won't see this as the lower belt cover is well sealed and it collects in there), headgasket out the block under the inlet manifold, small amounts out the inlet manifold (re circ'd)... my cars very leaky, slowly sorting them all though.

does it leave any oil on your drive way adam aslo check to see if it uses water i have followed you i think and i could not smell any oil

see if the car miss's first thing in the morning this should eliminate the HG

I'm sad to say that I have been in the same boat (but not every two weeks) since I got my MR2 over a year ago.. I'm stumped to where the oil is going..

Coolant levels have hardly changed.. get a little white smoke/vapour when the engine is cold and thats it. No clue what is going on... no strange rattles or loss in power (jimlad knows that...arf arf).

Just keep putting the oil in and be happy!

Both my NA & Gen II used to go through it fast if I used a thin Synthetic oil...changed to a bit thicker stuff and it was fine. What are you guys using??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

no strange rattles or loss in power (jimlad knows that...arf arf).

in your little fantasy land again !!

If you have regular oil changes... should you not be fine, and not need to top up your oil ?

TBH... I've never noticed my oil dissapear in any sorta rapid way.

Hopefully it's not worn piston rings although theoretically it's quite possible if there are no visible signs of leakage.

That would be costly! Definitely get somebody to follow you and see if you're burning oil.

Mine used it loads then i just changed the oil to thtat Shell stuff - toyota recommended it to me and now it doesnt burn any!!! Brill.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm well cooled seems fine, no snot in it, oil that is in the sump looks quite clean too. Possibly try some thicker oil next oil change and see what happens.....

What thickness Shell stuff you using titto?

cheers :thumbsup:

Its this stuff - It doesnt burn at all like the Halfords ******* I had in it before:

(see the attachment)

Also, here is a link to Shell oil page:

Shell

I was advised NOT to use the Shell helix Ultra, but to use the Plus one. Apparently its better for older engines - the ultra will burn more also.

I have to say that in my experience with Motorbikes and their engines, I used Shell before and it does seem to do older engines some justice!

Cheers

Adam

post-38-1074266554.jpg

I've always used GTX Magnetec 10W 40. It works a treat. Thin oil can cause excessive consumption and make the engine sound rattly on startup - due to the thiness of the oil. Try some of this and see if it makes a difference.

dame right about the thin oil making the engine noisy but i figured i'd give it a try in the winter time and about a month ago i had a full oil change done and the mobile1 stuff put in, the 0w engine oil.

Can't rem the name of the top of me head but it the expensive one, lol.

i reckoned i wanted it a little thinner during winter time so decided to give it a try.

But i can say i'm not that impressed with the loudness of the engine, or shouls i say rattly-ness, not the GOOD loudness we all know and love :)

-Z

Yep for these engines, 10W is the lowest I would go. TBH the engine shouldn't be that hard to turn over in winter anyway, as long as the Battery, starter motor and electrics are in good order. 10W is pretty thin (it always is when i drain for an oil change, and then the engine is warm, so in reality it's probably more like 20 - 30w)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links