Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Belt Replacement

TokeTillDeath420

Hey, i have a 91 Turbo, and my alternator belt snapped. I have a new one, I know how to tighten and losen the alt belt... everyone says its real easy to install the alternator, but no one ever mentions on how to remove the AC drive belt to put on the new belt! Help please!

Well, nobody replied but i figured it out, incase anybody wants to know ill put it out there. If you look down in between your two pipes from the intercooler you see a pulley. You have to loosen the bolt in the middle of it, its a 14MM Bolt. There is about 1 or 1.5 inch of space to work with and the bolt is very tight. I used a 14MM Offset wrench, and the broken alternator belt wrapped around the wrench to pull for some leverage. Once that is done, right above the idler is a 15MM bolt that you have to loosen. Your belt will slack, you pull it off, and yeay! We can put the alternator belt on. Well, hope this helps people! Its actually very easy (AFTER you get the idler bolt lose!)

post-5903-1229557575_thumb.jpg

post-5903-1229557588_thumb.jpg

All spot on mate :)

I did mine not so long back and changed the pully, which believe me, pays to just undo the whole assembley, but ive ripped out the intercooler so its alot easier to get at.... can actually see it through the side vent now :lol:

All spot on mate :)

I did mine not so long back and changed the pully, which believe me, pays to just undo the whole assembley, but ive ripped out the intercooler so its alot easier to get at.... can actually see it through the side vent now :lol:

So how'd your pully go bad?? Im not down for rippin the intercooler out, lol that must of sucked. Thats a lot more work. For a 17 yr old car, you cant complain! But its a bad ***** lookin car!

Well i could hear a 'rumbling' noise coming from that side of the engine, originally got scared as i thought it might be cam belt related.

But the engine was running sweet, but i noticed the aircon was being a bit weedy so thought it may be the aircon pump or clutch assembly on its way out.

But once i got in for a look under the car the belt was shagged and starting to split, so once i started on rebuilding the intake (cars got an ST205 chargecooler now) i undid the pully adjuster and whipped off the old belt, but found the pully was very stiff, where the bearing had started to seize. So got a new one from Toyota, built it all back up, and its lovelly and quiet and the air con works sweet again.

Pulling the old intercooler out is a nightmare!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links