Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem Horn!

serenity

Hello,

I've had my Aygo Black for just over a year and have been very pleased with her. Today, however, every time we have reversed the horn continues to go off.

(It's not just me, my partner tried it too and we're not leaning on it while we steer!)

Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be very gratefully received (by me and my neighbours) and any tips on how to disconnect the horn would be great too, seeing as how this decided to go wrong at Xmas when we can't get to a garage.

Many thanks in advance

I can't think of any reasons the horn should go off when you go in reverse,

but you can disable the horn by removing a fuse. Luckily this fuse is

located in the engine compartment, in the box just behind the Battery.

If you open up this box (there's a latch on the left side when facing the box) you'll

see a row of 8 or so fuses near the Battery. The rightmost fuse (again facing the box,

so the lefthand side of the car)is for the horn and nothing more,

it should be 10A and red in color. Remove this and no more horn!

For troubleshooting you could disconnect the switch in the steering wheel.

This DOES involve removing the covers acround the column,

but is not that hard. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver

If you want to disable the switch first you have to remove the bottom cover of the steering column.

This involves removing the two screws behind the wheel, revealed by turning the wheel to 3 o' clock

and 9 o' clock. On the under side there's one more screw, just in front of the adjustment lever.

Remove this and separate the bottom from the top cover. These are snapped together, so you

may need to use some pressure. In my experience you can easiest split them apart working

from the dash to the wheel, with the column all the way down to make room for your fingers.

Now with the bottom cover off you can see a bunch of plugs, a couple on the left,

a couple on the right and two in the middle. The one in the middle with ONE WHITE wire

is from the horn, unplug this and your horn should keep quiet.

Do NOT mess with the other plug with two yellow wires, as this is for the Airbag.

Should your horn still sound with the plug disconnected (and the fuse in place!) I'd suspect

the wiring to have been damaged and shorting to ground. If the fault does not happen again

your problem probably is in the wheel switch and/or the rotary contacts behind the wheel...

Thank you Jan, I've taken the fuse out and that has shushed her for now! Will investigate further after xmas and try and work out what is going on!

Again many thanks for your reply, much appreciated

Merry Christmas!

Did you order the female option pack? It's a useful feature that lets other drivers know that a women is reversing into a parking space or around a corner.

:lol:

Did you order the female option pack? It's a useful feature that lets other drivers know that a women is reversing into a parking space or around a corner.

I was thinking it...............but you said it................so it's you who is in trouble.............. brave man :lol:

Hi, does the horn sound as soon as you put it in reverse or only once the car is moving in reverse?

might sound like a silly question but if its the first then its most likely an electric fault. If its only sounding when you are moving backwards, you might have some loose wires around the physical horn itself which is behind the front bumper behind where the passenger side fog light should be.

Either may, if your car is under warranty let Toyota sort it out for you

I was thinking it...............but you said it................so it's you who is in trouble.............. brave man :lol:

It sadly came with a male comfort pack, it's smaller than I'd hoped for and it's horn is just annoying....:)

• Haha 1

Hi, does the horn sound as soon as you put it in reverse or only once the car is moving in reverse?

might sound like a silly question but if its the first then its most likely an electric fault. If its only sounding when you are moving backwards, you might have some loose wires around the physical horn itself which is behind the front bumper behind where the passenger side fog light should be.

Either may, if your car is under warranty let Toyota sort it out for you

It's only as I start to actally move in reverse, so will have a jiggle with some wires!

Typically the warranty JUST ran out!

Thanks for your input

• 12 years later...
On 12/25/2008 at 1:12 PM, serenity said:

It's only as I start to actally move in reverse, so will have a jiggle with some wires!

Thanks for your input

On 12/25/2008 at 1:12 PM, serenity said:

Thanks for your input

Hi Did you manage to resolve this as its now happening to my Aygo. With the heavy rain I am thinking that dame is crossing the connections which may go away when it dries out  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links