Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Do I Need To Check For?

Panzerbjorn

Lo all,

A mate of mine has just been pulled over by the police for having his fog lights on :rolleyes:

Anyway, they did a check of his N Plate and his insurance details and it turns out that his car should be blue and grey (its red) and that its had crash damage.

They were going to confiscate it but they have said that he can take it away as long as he gets it to a police station with all the cars details asap.

Hes going to bring it over to my place tomorrow and he, a mate of mine and I are going to go over it inch by inch, checking for crash damage, cross checking chasis numbers with documents etc.

Basically i was just woundering if you lot could tell me what other things i should be looking for?

Thanks for the help!

Panzer

Peel back the carpet around the centre of the car and see if there is a big weld line (also check underneath) if there is then its a cut 'n' shut.

Scrape away at the paint in a couple of discrete places to see if the surface colour is the only colour or if there is another underneath.

Check panel gaps and shut lines, as it's a Toyota they should be fairly consistent on each side with corresponding panels.

Look down the side straight and see if the light reflecting ripples and if the paint finish looks ok.

There may be a bit of rough looking paint on the bottom of the doors but thats where they have been galvanised so don't worry about that.

Look under the bonnet and check the upper surface of the wings from in there and see if they line up and whether there are any creases or flaking paint.

Look in the boot near where the spare tyre is and see if new bits have been welded on in there, if there are then it's been rear-ended.

Hope that helps.

peel back the rubber around the windows that will tell you if the respray was a ligit one or weather it was a bodge job. if paint different under rubber trim its a bodge job

Right guys thanks for the help! Unfortunalty my mate couldnt get the car over yesterday to get it looked at and hes taken it to the police today :unsure:

Anyway we checked his V5 and it does say red, so i cant see what the problem is, the DVLA must know its red if it says so on the V5, so unless they just havnt updated their records or something.

Wish him luck, ill let you all know the verdict when i find out whats going on.

thanks again

Panzer

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links