Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought For Spares

kruger

hi guys

ive only posted once here and the help was great. but anyway i bought a surf for spares the guy saying it wont go into reverse

but it does have a good m.o.t and tax i tried putting it in to reverse it feels like it is in but wont go back on closer inspection under the bonnet looks like he could have put a recon engine in it. and not every thing is connected.so do you guys think this could cause the prob with the gearbox as it has a good mot if i could get it running i might just keep it any help would be appreciated.

also it still drives when its in nuetral its an ssr-g

cheers

billy

hi guys

ive only posted once here and the help was great. but anyway i bought a surf for spares the guy saying it wont go into reverse

but it does have a good m.o.t and tax i tried putting it in to reverse it feels like it is in but wont go back on closer inspection under the bonnet looks like he could have put a recon engine in it. and not every thing is connected.so do you guys think this could cause the prob with the gearbox as it has a good mot if i could get it running i might just keep it any help would be appreciated.

cheers

billy

Hi Billy

It sounds to me as though the previous owner has had the gear stick off the box and put it back on in the wrong position. you need to get the centre console off to have a look. Some pics of the engine and car would be a help Also is it a 2.4 or 3.0??

Cheers

Paul

Hi Billy

It sounds to me as though the previous owner has had the gear stick off the box and put it back on in the wrong position. you need to get the centre console off to have a look. Some pics of the engine and car would be a help Also is it a 2.4 or 3.0??

Cheers

Paul

hi paul

its a 2.4 it appears he has also taken the ac system out of the car. i asked the guy who put me on to him about it

and it seems this guy has a habit of starting of with something good and mucking about with it. but i will have a

look at the gear stick tomorrow along with some other things that i thought about.

i was thinking maybe try to reset the ecu unit. by disconnecting

the 2 earths i seen a thread that mentioned this to reset it.the engine itself starts no problem it just

seems to lack acceleration but it does get there eventually.i will also look at the way my own surf is

wired and hose connections .checked the fluid levels they seem fine. i def think its something

this guy has done. its a waste of a good surf if i end up breaking it.

cheers

billy

will get some pics of engine and car.may be post up some of my own car as well

That would be cool

If yours is also a 2.4 try swapping out the ECU's first. If re-setting then just disconnect both batteries and go for a cuppa while you wait.(30 mins )should be enough.

It's a shame you're so far away as it's easier to sort problems with the hands on approach and i've just re-built 2 X 2.4's after broken cambelts and the like.

Also break them when the need arises

Cheers

Paul

Does the shift lever go into 'P'? If not, then it'll be the shift linkage that needs adjusting.

hi guys

sorry its taken so long to get back to you. back at work now anyway it does go into park but we have been looking at manual

and my mate seems to think a couple of pins are a missing from next to the gear stick but its been to cold just now to do anything will def post some pics of the car and engine. i would really like to get this running right use it for offroading.

and thanks for taken the time to try and help me out guys.

billy

• 2 months later...
hi guys

cheers

billy

Hi Billy

Cheers

Paul

hi matei was wonderin if you are thinkin bout sellin it as i rly need a gd engine to get my baby back on the road rdy for the shows this year i will but the whole thing for the right price

many thanx

bumblepost-75935-1239103689_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links