Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dastek For Mr2 Turbo

pizza boy

Im looking over a website of a rev3 owner (heres the link Dastek chipped Rev3 owners review ) and I must admit its pretty damn tempting. Its the fact that overall costs such as fuel etc are apparently down with the effect of massive increase in performance..too good to be true? Can any1 tell me different?

hmm it can also do launch control and WI and NO2., The best part is it can be removed and punted on when I can gets me :drool: MoTeC :drool: . Im surprised no1 else has one..is it good or bad for the money?

Or should I just suffer %$(ed fuel economy and lob in a G-valve to 16psi? :)

Or would I really not just be better off with a boost controller like a Profec B or some thing?

most of the turbo boys on the drivers club have them, thats why i always mention them, everyone raves about them. I know Geoff's rev 3 went up to 298bhp after fitting and a blokes rev1 up to 265bhp. They are good, plus they suport WI & nos should you want it, and any other mods just pop on rolling road and remap to suit.

Owen Developments and Miltek generally regarded as the best places to get them mapped.

I'll be after one .. as MoTec's are silly money and I can't justify it .. when after fitting and mapping - I could buy a Lexus ..

I agree, Motecs are just too much. The cars can be remapped for 95 octane fuel, and told not over overfuel, hence better economy for more power - win win in my opinion. What sort of insurance premium increase would you expect?

Is it still not better to use 97+ron regardless if you could map it to optimum settings on 95? My m8 had a fully reprogrammable Emerald unit in his elise to manage his TB'd engine and they told him he HAS to use optimax. Surely they coulda set it up for 95ron? Why didnt they in his case? Hence my point...is it still not better to use 97+ron regardless due to its higher resistance against detonation?

Oh yea..how much is this unit for a 96 tubby?

Right I'll contiue to use the higher octane then. TBH I hardly notice any costs in using the more expensive petrol. Thinking about it, this is sensible, considering higher boost increases the likelyhood of detonation.

As for insurance, I think I'll give Dorset a bell when my renewal comes up, From what I remember, Jimlad had no trouble when he made his claim. I'll ask elephant to requote taking into account the fitting of a unichip too though - you never know.....:)

Im no engineer but imo its best to tune it to optimax so as to maximize the available advance. I would think If you tune it to 98ron youll then logically produce more power than 95ron.

Price on this unit anyone? Including RR setup? Im assuming itll be £400-£500. The closest place to me is in Storm Engineering in Fife who happen to be the distributors. But dunno if they are good.

The way it looks the chip is only as good as the engineers mapping it. Anyone recommend somebody up north who knows thier mr2s?

Pizza boy ... if you are going to goto fife to do this, give me a shout in advance.

I may come up with you if interested ?

I would then sell off my current chip.

Owens in Oxford have received excellent feedback for their fitting of Unichips. They charge £550 ic. mapping. Bit of a drive for you though :(

Still deciding if I should pay to fit+paint my sideskirts+debadge the front and obtain TRD topmounts as my current ones are not too happy. All in 350 odd quid for this. Or go out and get this chip fitted = £450 odd.

Ive just carried out a £350 service. My student loan is fast dissapearing ! Hmmm decisions...

Jimlad Ill have to phone this Storm Engineering to confirm whats what. You see it states they are the UK distributors but it doesnt state they fit it. I am betting they will recommend AVA Turbos next to Glasgow airport but I dont know until I phone sometime tomorrow. AVAs engineers are are real pros and know thier stuff. They charge a whack tho but at least i know the jobs bein done proper.

Ill let you know tho dude. Its a shame you didnt post up recommendation on what chip to buy back when CRD lobbed you that ABC thingy cos this Dastek is the nutz..can get launch control, has ability for WI and NOS plus its 100% customised for your cars mods rather than a generic pre-mapped chip. Think im not gonna bother with the G-valve and save for this.

Yep I have a Unichip on my Rev 2 Turbo...it runs the erl water injection and also does the FCD too. Gives me 251bhp and 250 lbft torque at 4.5k RPM, Admittedly i am not using the Unichip boost ctrl module ut it can do that too.

Super bit of kit...yes it probably could run a nos kit but since nobody is running a NOS kit properly without glitches yet it isnt worth bothering with that, any how NAAASSSS is far too Max Power and a Strap a ***** to me tuning!

Owens will fit one for the money mentioned but having said that they wont be for 6 months or so because of the ammountof work they have on at the moment.

You will see increased MPG from it but i would ahve it mapped on SuperUL cos it will develop more power...

hmmm Im gettin a lot of trouble finding a place in Scotland that will do it. Apparently StormEngineering went bust or something and was actually taken over by Dastek themsleves but nobody has their damn number. Im gonna phone ownes 2moro and try an get it from them hopefully. And does any one knoe Miltek website?

Also another very important issue I just thought of..my car has been de-catted. Now then... I need the cat back on for MOTs but this is the problem..one of the main reasons the stock chip isnt too hot is because of emissions. But the Dastek is clearly going to get tuned to take advantage of the decat mod . But would this not mean when my cat goes back on Im ill get problems passing the emissions as the Dastek will have made the car high on pollution. Am I correct in saying this?

The Unichip will make the car run better so there is a good chance it will pass without the cat...

What car is it you have again?

NickM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links