Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mk2 Alternator Problem - Help Please!

nicko_12345

Hi, i am a total newbie to MR2's and aquired mine when my dad passed away earlier this year, I got the car through its mot and now have the car on the road, until today

Basically after starting the car to move it out of the garage to get my other car out, the car died and when i say died not even the hazard lights would work, luckily as i was on a matter of meters from my drive i manage to push the car out of the road.

Ok, on to my problems, when i pushed the car onto the drive i noticed some smoke coming from the engine bay thinking the worst i open the cover in record time and noticed that the smoke was coming from the alternator, first thing i did then was to disconect the Battery and fetch the hose pipe!

Next i then took the Battery and put it on charge, it was totally flat, several hours later and a full charge i connected it back up, 30 seconds after conecting it up the alternator started smoking again, even before i tried to start the car, so i took the Battery off asap.

Now considering the car has done 300 faultless miles simce it went through the MOT and now this has happened 3 days before it is due to be driven to France by my brother where my dad wanted it to end up im pretty gutted

Anyone got any advise or help they can offer to me or at least help me learn more about the car, i.e specs etc etc?

All i no about the car is that it IS a import and is a 2.0 n/a and says G-limited on the rear (it also has a really nice tagra roof)

Thanks In advance

Nick....

It sounds like the alternator is seized, either the bearings or brushes will be knackared. I had the same issue a year or so ago, due to the engine layout water drips down onto and inside the alternator, 1 day it was fine, the next day I started the car and there was a plume of smoke, the alternator bellt went flying and after checking the pulley was stuck solid.

the solution is to buy a replacement alternator, check eBay there are few new/reconditioned ones for decent money .... all you need to make sure of is that you have the correct one. On the mk2 there are 2 versions, one with a round plug (the most common) and one with an oval plug

Fitting may become problematic if you havent had experience with an MR2, you need to get the rear end in the air, then take the middle section of the exhaust off (this is the tricky bit if its the original exhaust as the bolts will be rusted/seized), you then need to unplug the wiring and remove the earth, then you need to undo the alternators tensioner from above, and remove the long bolt from below which holds the alternator to its bracket. At this point the alternator can be dropped down and lowered between the subframe and anti-roll bar

It sounds like the alternator is seized, either the bearings or brushes will be knackared. I had the same issue a year or so ago, due to the engine layout water drips down onto and inside the alternator, 1 day it was fine, the next day I started the car and there was a plume of smoke, the alternator bellt went flying and after checking the pulley was stuck solid.

the solution is to buy a replacement alternator, check ebay there are few new/reconditioned ones for decent money .... all you need to make sure of is that you have the correct one. On the mk2 there are 2 versions, one with a round plug (the most common) and one with an oval plug

Fitting may become problematic if you havent had experience with an MR2, you need to get the rear end in the air, then take the middle section of the exhaust off (this is the tricky bit if its the original exhaust as the bolts will be rusted/seized), you then need to unplug the wiring and remove the earth, then you need to undo the alternators tensioner from above, and remove the long bolt from below which holds the alternator to its bracket. At this point the alternator can be dropped down and lowered between the subframe and anti-roll bar

I dont have the experience to fit it, but i have several friends tht hopefully will, is there a way of telling which Alternator it is without removing it from the car?

the solution is to buy a replacement alternator, check ebay there are few new/reconditioned ones for decent money .... all you need to make sure of is that you have the correct one. On the mk2 there are 2 versions, one with a round plug (the most common) and one with an oval plug

I dont have the experience to fit it, but i have several friends tht hopefully will, is there a way of telling which Alternator it is without removing it from the car?

yeah, to see which type it is, get under the car and have a look at the electrical plug, be it oval or round

yeah, to see which type it is, get under the car and have a look at the electrical plug, be it oval or round

i now have the car jacked up, trying to see which type it is via seeing if its a oval plug or round one, can you tell me which i should be looking at? the top cable coming out of it or the bottom which has 3 smaller cables going into one bigger cable?

Thanks

Nick

there is only 2 lots of cables, 1 is an earth and is held on by a 10mm nut

the other is a plug which has 3 wires coming from it, this is the one you need to check, the plug itself is either round or oval in shape

there is only 2 lots of cables, 1 is an earth and is held on by a 10mm nut

the other is a plug which has 3 wires coming from it, this is the one you need to check, the plug itself is either round or oval in shape

Right its off the car, its got the round connector, i think the car is a 1990 car. its was inported into this country in 1994 so is on a g plate?

this will do you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A716-Toyota-MR2-2-0-...1QQcmdZViewItem

although I have seem them for alot cheaper from time to time

After cleaning it up 100211-8380 part number is there so yes that is the right one :)

It does seem expensive though :(

Any toyota specalists about, that i can call in the morning?

managed to get a new one for £90 this morning, fitting it this afternoon, hopefully it should be ok then, oh and some good news, the MR2 is now mine and is staying here :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links