Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Used A Car Performance Parts Diesel Tuning Kit

Craig69

Hi,

I've done a search through the archives and can't see a reference to the following kit:

http://www.carperformancepartsuk.com/shop/...uning-Chip.html

Has anyone any experience of these? From what I have read on here they seem very cheap (alarm bells ringing) at £105.98.

I'm looking just to 'freshen' the car up a bit. I had it for five years and 25% more power and increased economy seem like a good way to go. Do these type of plug and play kits do what they say on the tin or is it all hype?

This is of course presuming its not going to detrimental to an engine that done 75k but has been looked after.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Craig.

I have heard that these units are just a fancy resistor to fool the ecu into thinking the air is warmer. Apparently it can be done with the right resistor so the usual 500 notes for these units makes them more profitable than drugs! The 100 or so quoted for the unit you mention seems like better value for money!

ollie

I like the "more profitable than drugs" analogy. So true.

Anyways certainly when I superchipped (by superchips www.superchips.co.uk) one of my previous cars - Citroen Xsara Estate Hdi 90 the effects were considerable. Bhp went from 90 to 120 bhp and torque went up from 154 lbft (at 1900 rpm) to 192lb/ft (at 2300rpm). This made the car more driveable and contributed to lower fuel consumption from 53 mpg to about 57 mpg.

As much I would like to do a similar mod on my Yaris, because it has the MMT (and suprisingly is working okay) I would not dare do such a thing as I am not sure if the gearbox would cope with the extra torque. The bhp would go from 90 to 108 bhp and torque from 141 lbft to about 172. If the car had a manual box then yes Id do it in the future when I have the spare cash.

I have heard that these units are just a fancy resistor to fool the ecu into thinking the air is warmer. Apparently it can be done with the right resistor so the usual 500 notes for these units makes them more profitable than drugs! The 100 or so quoted for the unit you mention seems like better value for money!

ollie

There are chip kits, and then again there are chip kits :rolleyes:

Any DECENT chip kit will be fully mapped to take into account your throttle position, they work by keeping the injectors open longer and therefore delivering more fuel, but because they are mapped, you get a much smoother drive, use less throttle and you get improved MPG. You don't end up thrashing the car! You do get what you pay for ;)

A mapped chip kit will cost considerably more to buy than a few grammes of white powder :eek: so the drugs profit margin is definatly better :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for info.

I wouldn't be expecting a lot from this, certainly not the kind of increases you get from fully mapped chips but my thoughts were that the better economy would be welcome on the work commute where I don't get chance to open the car up and the increase in power would be handy for when I've a car full of heavy dive kit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links