Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Help

Fry-Up

I have managed to accidentally download some malware (not on this machine) and have been on the web to find out how to get rid of it, and I don't understand any of it, lol, basically I can't get on websites now, I get a false webpage instead (claiming to be microsoft security centre) prompting me to download spyware removers, but the grammar is poor, so I know its not legit

here is my dilemma:

I can reformat the system, as I don't actually use it for anything of major importance, but I bought it in 2004, and therefore Windows takes a week to download the numerous updates it needs, and the few programs I do use then take a further week to update to fit windows service pack whatever-the-hell-it-is-now, more hassle than I like

I can reformat and put a new copy of windows on (or can I?) but isn't that expensive?

I can invest in a Laptop, fix the pc, and sell it on (thats hassle and expensive)

What happens if you just put another website in the address bar at the top??

It could just be a 'duff' page set up as your home page?

no i've tried that, i've googled the malware and it took me to a tech support site that a few other people have been to with the same problem, but it looks like a hell of a lot of hassle to resolve

Boot up in safe mode with networking... wndows will only load up what it needs with no other 3rd party software running, then download some trusted malware removal tools.

I don't see how reformatting it will take you so long.. I can do xp in about an hour.... incl all updates and srvice packs.

I would format but unless you are confident that you can get all the correct drivers and OS system going I wouldnt bother. An old PC like that is worth nothing as you can get average PC's now with a good screen for under £300.

as soon as you switch on, start mashing F8 until the screen comes up :)

That sound like the one I just had to take of my dads laptop at xmas. Following the online guide i found only took 20-30mins, much quicker then a reformat and no fiddling with having to sort out backing anything up and finding new drivers etc. Worth seeing if you can find a decent online how to fix it guide. which malware was it ?

lookup hijackthis and spybot, thats all I use to fix other peoples computers

I had this issue so I downloaded Stopzilla, Once run it and it shows all the problems you have.

It was well worth £ 20.00 not to have to reload some 50Gb of software, not to mention the week of time needed ;)

Try it for free before doing anything too radical.

I just re-formatted it in the end, it was one that gave a pop up every minute or so saying Comanglia!!! and pages like facebook, google, etc all re-directed to a fake microsoft security web page

'least you got it sorted.

I had the same problem on my dads PC a few months back. Took me 2 days to get rid of it.

its merely an inconvenience luckily i'm jobless at the moment so I had the time to do it, just not the patience, or the brains to do it a quier way, so patience was sacrificed, and I re-formatted, i'm now gonna see if my machine (being a few years old) is capable of running Vista, that way there will be much less to update should the same happen again

its merely an inconvenience luckily i'm jobless at the moment so I had the time to do it, just not the patience, or he brains to do it a quier way, so patience was sacrificed, and I re-formatted, i'm now gonna see if my machine (being a few years old) is capable of running Vista, that way there will be much less to update should the same happen again

It'll probably run but take up a good bit of yer memory.

i'm now gonna see if my machine (being a few years old) is capable of running Vista, that way there will be much less to update should the same happen again

It's not worth buying Vista - Windows 7 will be released before the year is out and its a hell of a lot better..... :thumbsup:

i'm actually gonna invest in a laptop, (never been one for making my mind up) I had a look around today, and I have a budget of £400 which should get me one more than adequate for my needs, I still live at home and my desk is more a dressing table for the missus as i'm forever moving all her stuff (that no woman ever really needs) just to get on the comp whenever she's stopped over, she can have the !Removed! desk, lol

I have a couple of things due to sell to cover my budget, might aswell make use of items that are just sat there...

Thanks for your help guys, I know where to come when I kill the laptop now ;)

EDIT: Actually, maybe u can help a little more...

Whats the risk of buying a laptop off eBay? are cheap components ever used to substitute standard ones?

Buy from ebuyer, they are reasonably priced and I've bought loads of stuff from them and never had issue.

I wouldn't recommend buying any laptops or pc's off eBay - you never know where they're from. I've only ever bought one pc from eBay and it turned up with a rattle coming from the case and looped booting....

Luckily the guy I bought it from was decent and offered to refund me but not all sellers are like that.

Even though he was a good seller, I'd never do it again.

My brother in law took out a mobile phone contract and they threw in a laptop so he gave me it :D

i thought it might be a mucho cheapo type but acording to the info it ain't that bad. ;) CLICKY

lol, ok then, today is the day I buy a laptop, I have a couple of options I want to choose between, I just need a little advice on which

one is a Toshiba satellite a200

the other is sony vaio nr38s

both 15.4" 250gb drive and 2gb memory, both very similar spec, but 2 seperate retailers have told me they have had toshibas returned, one of which keeps recommending an Acer but I have been told they are not as good quality, the vaio is a little more expensive, but I am willing to pay the difference if they are known for reliability...

I have an Acer laptop and its a great little thing, it's over 2 years old now and still as sharp as it was back then.... all makes have good and bad points.

Looking at the more detailed specs online for the two you mentioned, the Sony has the better processor and graphics card - I'd go for that one. :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's help and input, much appreciated

Demonic Angel, I got a little impatient and bought one already lol and it was the vaio I opted for

This thread may now be closed if its in the way :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links