Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engaging 4 Wheel Drive

helicopterdcr

I'm a newbie here, with a couple of questions. Hope y'all can help!

We have a '08 Hilux diesel double cab, which is based in West Africa, in support of our conservation project. (www.cercopan.org). Access to this forum is difficult from there, so I'm posting from the UK.

The car was a recent gift from a local sponsor, but didn't come with an owner's manual. The people driving it don't have a vast experience of off road driving, but in my experience the Hilux is fantastic for just that. One of our trustees from the UK is out there now, and reckons that there is some confusion about engaging 4WD. There's a button to the left of the steering wheel with a 4 wheel drive diagram next to it. When should this button be pressed (I think that's the question) or alternatively, can someone kindly spell out how to get into 4WD and change hi/low diff?

We also have a much older Hilux, which is probably on its last legs. It has been 'maintained' sporadically, and the maintenance practices out there are pretty dire. Can anyone advise any simple things to check for when the exhaust belches out thick black smoke when revved (apart from the engine being completely knackered)?

Cheers,

Dave

I'm a newbie here, with a couple of questions. Hope y'all can help!

We have a '08 Hilux diesel double cab, which is based in West Africa, in support of our conservation project. (www.cercopan.org). Access to this forum is difficult from there, so I'm posting from the UK.

The car was a recent gift from a local sponsor, but didn't come with an owner's manual. The people driving it don't have a vast experience of off road driving, but in my experience the Hilux is fantastic for just that. One of our trustees from the UK is out there now, and reckons that there is some confusion about engaging 4WD. There's a button to the left of the steering wheel with a 4 wheel drive diagram next to it. When should this button be pressed (I think that's the question) or alternatively, can someone kindly spell out how to get into 4WD and change hi/low diff?

We also have a much older Hilux, which is probably on its last legs. It has been 'maintained' sporadically, and the maintenance practices out there are pretty dire. Can anyone advise any simple things to check for when the exhaust belches out thick black smoke when revved (apart from the engine being completely knackered)?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, that button sounds like the rear electronic diff lock button, nothing to do with 4WD really.

To get it into 4WD, dip the clutch and pull the 'other' transfer box gear lever back. To get it into low ratio 4WD you'll need to move the back into 4WD first, then right, then forwards.

Lots of black smoke will be something simple like a clogged air filter

Thanks for the reply JasX, I've forwarded it on to Africa and it all seems to make sense to them now. Cheers, Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links