Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help!

.Lynx

Hey everyone, I was out in the MR2 last night and I looked down at my water temp gauge and for a split second it was all the way down to cold, when I looked down a second time it was half way again. Then I tried to see what was causing this and came to the conclusion that every time I put my foot down, the needle goes down with it... If I'm at a steady speed with no pressure on the pedal it stays the same and as soon as I put my foot down the needle drops.

Please someone tell me its the sensor lol, I've checked my oil cap and there's no mayonnaise type gunk in the cap and I've checked my water for oil, one of my friends seems to think my head gasket is gone and its causing pressure to build up and give me a false reading.

If the worst fear is true and its the head gasket, is this something I can do? I have access to a garage, tools, engine lifts etc. If not is this gunna break the bank? :(

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Check your thermostat :thumbsup:

Well im going up to the garage tomorrow, she's done 122k miles so do you think its due some new gaskets? I was thinking about getting a whole gasket kit so atleast it will last me. I'd hate to put my kit on it and spend loads of money only for the head to turn round and blow up lol.

Blown head gasket symptoms can be:

Excessive water usage

System pressurising

Oil in water

Water in oil

Heater running cold

Visible water leak from gasket area

Visible oil leak from gasket area

Misfire (blown across cylinders)

Some of these can also be caused by cracked cylinder head or block

or........It might be a faulty sensor/gauge?

Hard to tell :(

Les

Blown head gasket symptoms can be:

Excessive water usage

System pressurising

Oil in water

Water in oil

Heater running cold

Visible water leak from gasket area

Visible oil leak from gasket area

Misfire (blown across cylinders)

Some of these can also be caused by cracked cylinder head or block

or........It might be a faulty sensor/gauge?

Hard to tell :(

Les

I think that's what I'm dealing with right now (Underlined parts). When I've got the engine out can you recommend other bits I can do while its out? I've got a week to spend with 2 of us working on it with all the right tools and I've got the contacts to get other bits done.

I also need to know what things I can do to it to increase the performance and its life span and seeing as the engines out and I can run my motorbike for a while I may as well get it over and done with. Its a 1990 Rev 1 I believe non turbo.

I think when the previous owner put a decat on it and a big induction kit he left the engine running rich so it backfires and spits flames, I think this is where the problem has come from.

Any tips would be great, sites to buy from, what I should do ect.

Thanks,

Tom

Crikey!.....Where to start on parts for extending engine life? :wacko:

Depends on how much time/money you have got. ;)

Well i'd like it back on the road quite soon lol, I was thinking along the lines of CAMS and Gaskets? seeing as thats gunna cost me the most when it goes wrong. Maybe new plugs and leads. This is my first MR2 so im not sure what tends to break first engine wise.

You must get the head pressure tested and faced or you might be looking at another head gasket in the very near future. :thumbsup:

You must get the head pressure tested and faced or you might be looking at another head gasket in the very near future. :thumbsup:

Ok ill make sure I get all that done, I'll write it on my list of things to try, buy and test lol I love the car so much I'd love for it to last me. I'll be sure to let you know how tomorrow goes when we strip it down a bit and do some fault finding.

Thanks for all the help :)

I think parts wise seeing as mines a rev 1 im looking for 1989-81? parts to fit? I've seen rebuild kits on eBay for about £120 which comes with all new gaskets, bolts etc? tbh I'm not sure what im looking for.

After a weekend of trouble shooting we found that my choke switch was broken which made my car run on full choke from the moment it was turned on until it was off again, I've ordered a new choke switch but where the previous owner was running it like this for so long I think its done damage.

I'm getting the head done because there is a tiny amount of water getting into my oil and where it was running full choke none of the fans ever kicked in. I've been running it with no choke and its been going a lot faster and running smoother.

I'm still getting the problem with my needle going down on the water temp when I put my foot down but we tried giving the sensor a false reading and the needle didn't even wanna know so that's on order too.

Sadly I fractured my leg when I tripped over at work the other day so I wont be driving it or working on it for a while :( on the other hand I can claim because it was the works fault :) also smashed my phone up and stuff. So maybe I can afford a tubby now! lol.

Anyway just to say thanks for the help :)

Tom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links