Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super Diesel - I Am Correct!

cabcurtains

Having just watched the 5th gear article on super diesel (V-Power & BP Ultimate), i am vindicated in thinking my Passat performs better on the good stuff :yahoo:

As the test showed the car (Citreon C5) went from 155 BHP to 161 BHP when compared to standard supermarket Diesel, shame they didn't test the MPG as well, i have always said the basic supermarket fuel makes my car feel slower and lowers the MPG.

I must confess to being slightly worried when they announced the result, if it had been the same i would be :bag: for a long time :lol:

Am so glad its not just in my head!

Having just watched the 5th gear article on super diesel (V-Power & BP Ultimate), i am vindicated in thinking my Passat performs better on the good stuff :yahoo:

As the test showed the car (Citreon C5) went from 155 BHP to 161 BHP when compared to standard supermarket Diesel, shame they didn't test the MPG as well, i have always said the basic supermarket fuel makes my car feel slower and lowers the MPG.

I must confess to being slightly worried when they announced the result, if it had been the same i would be :bag: for a long time :lol:

Am so glad its not just in my head!

I wouldn't have thought the increase of 6bhp would make any noticeable difference to the power on your VW, and any improvement in fuel consumption is only going to be marginal. Where Ultimate and Super derv score is in the way they burn; far more cleaner than with conventional fuel. I have heard of cases where emissions have been reduced, even with only occasional use of this type of fuel.

Cabcurtains.... I am sorry but I have to take issue with a part of your post.

You wrote "i have always said the basic supermarket fuel makes my car feel slower and lowers the MPG." I suggest that it does not make your car feel slower nor does it affect the MPG, I suggest it simply does not give your car any noticable 'increase' in performance or MPG away from what it was meant to have. I buy my diesel from Tesco and the car drives perfectly well with a full, Toyota stated, 200bhp of power when I push my foot down :P

Now I have no idea if the Shell or BP diesel improves performance as Fifth Gear alleges but I for one will not pay extra for a paltry 6bhp. Now if it was an extra 12+bhp then I would be willing to give it a go :yes:

I used to use VPower diesel all the time in my Golf but the difference in MPG was marginal & I was paying extra so it worked out at about the same price per mile. I stopped using it because it was doing my head in only being able to use 1 pump at certain stations & also because I felt it was giving Shell the impression I was happy to pay more for my fuel which I most certainly am not so I just went back to normal Shell diesel.

In around 2 years of ownership I only ever filled up at Shell but I drove to London & back (around 500 miles in total) for an Everton game not long ago & filled my tank at a BP at a service station & since then a little problem I had (when my engine was cold & I got stuck at traffic lights for a short while, my engine would sort of vibrate in pulses) seems to have gone, whether it was the run that sorted it or the fuel I'm not sure, but I'm sticking with BP for a while now.

buy millers sport from Halfords increases cetane by 4 . £ 12 a bottle and treats 500 litres of derv , used with shells normal derv , you in theory make your own super + derv at a much cheaper cost. benefits are more bhp, a quieter engine , better cold starts , and alot cleaner burning . my passat has 93k on the clock and the last mot gave a reading of 0.3 on the emmisions test.

Surely a 6bhp increase for an oily burner is immense! Does that mean that I won't be getting stuck behind the road rollers that use this version of diesel? :P

How did i know you lot would pour scorn on my confirmation that my suspicions are correct.....

I do between 1,000 & 1,200 miles a week with 90% of the mileage on the motorway at around the legal limit, when my car runs on Ultimate it returns an average range of between 720-740 miles on a tank of diesel. When i am forced to fill with Tesco/Sainsbugs low sulphur Diesel this drops to 650 max, this in turn affects the MPG by 5-6. The mid range power is also affected as the car is noticeably slower in the mid range when in the maximum torque band.

However what do i know, its not as if i spend most of my life steering the thing :rolleyes:

Perhaps the non believers should replicate one of my weeks.........

How did i know you lot would pour scorn on my confirmation that my suspicions are correct.....

I do between 1,000 & 1,200 miles a week with 90% of the mileage on the motorway at around the legal limit, when my car runs on Ultimate it returns an average range of between 720-740 miles on a tank of diesel. When i am forced to fill with Tesco/Sainsbugs low sulphur Diesel this drops to 650 max, this in turn affects the MPG by 5-6. The mid range power is also affected as the car is noticeably slower in the mid range when in the maximum torque band.

However what do i know, its not as if i spend most of my life steering the thing :rolleyes:

are vw still using the PD engine in the new passats or something else now. ???

a higher cetane fuel requires less throttle to get you to the speeds where fuel economy is maximised . i will stick to using the millers sport in the shells cheaper derv , its worth every penny.

Actually in terms of £ per hp its quite a good gain...

I always swore by BP ultimate in my Surf, I used to regularly get 50 or so miles to a tank extra, the engine ran smoother too... As for speed, it was the slowest thing on the planet so I couldn't comment!

I drove my old surf at the weekend! It rocks!

are vw still using the PD engine in the new passats or something else now. ???

a higher cetane fuel requires less throttle to get you to the speeds where fuel economy is maximised . i will stick to using the millers sport in the shells cheaper derv , its worth every penny.

This is one is Common Rail with a DPF, shes done 20k now and nothings broke yet :lol: ;)

I wouldn't have thought the increase of 6bhp would make any noticeable difference to the power on your VW, and any improvement in fuel consumption is only going to be marginal. Where Ultimate and Super derv score is in the way they burn; far more cleaner than with conventional fuel. I have heard of cases where emissions have been reduced, even with only occasional use of this type of fuel.

What about biodiesels? They supposedly burn very clean, and clear a lot of the crap out of the engine (The downside being that the fuel filter needs to be changed after the first tank), which should boost performance too?

Actually, does anyone here use biodiesel? It'd be interesting to compare normal, super and bio diesels...

I used to run my surf on 100% veg oil in the summer... MPG and performance dropped... but it smelt nice!

I wouldn't put Bio Diesel near my car unless it was being sold by one of the major fuel companies, modern diesels are to complex & expensive to repair to risk put unproven fuel in them. I have personally even seen issues with common rail cars that have been run on low sulphur EN590 for prolonged periods and thats only got a 5% Bio Mix.

That was the beauty of it.... It wasn't common rail ;)

I used to run my surf on 100% veg oil in the summer... MPG and performance dropped... but it smelt nice!

my surf could do 90 + mph on veg oil . :lol:

on private land of course. ;)

Give me some credit, i was aiming that at Cyker! :P I wouldn't call a Surf complex, more like an honest old smoker :lol: ;)

Give me some credit, i was aiming that at Cyker! :P I wouldn't call a Surf complex, more like an honest old smoker :lol: ;)

Millers sounds a good bet to me. I would trust Halfords far more than BP or Shell

Well that's good to know!

I've been tempted to try putting biodiesel in my Yaris to see how it goes, but since I've only had it two months, I don't want to risk anything bad happening or voiding the warrenty!

my surf could do 90 + mph on veg oil . :lol:

on private land of course. ;)

The Third gen would do waaaaaaaaaay over that ;) I want another one! I have forgotten how little fun !Removed! roads are in a "firm" car.

Cabcurtains.. fair play ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links