Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quick Question...

-T- Sport

Ok, So I'm currently running 215/35 Toyo Proxes on my 18's. Great.

Time has come to buy two new tyres...Not so great.. Does anybody see any problems with fitting 225/40/18's? (clicky..) I don't see why there'd be a problem but best double check... Alloy width is 7.5

Or shall I go for 225/35's? :help:

It will depend on how much clearance you have, the 225/40x18's will be taller as well as wider, so you would need to make sure they won't rub on anything...

215/35x18 = 75.25mm

225/40x18 = 90mm

Thats a difference of near enough 15mm... doesn't sound much but if you haven't got a lot of room, 15mmm is huge.

225/35x18 = 78.75..

Here we only have a difference of 3.5mm... if you can get your finger in between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the strut you should have enough room, that only leaves the problem of the extra width.. 10mm.

A 225/35x18 can safely go on rims between 7.5J and 9J, so no problems with it fitting the wheel... but again you will need to check you have enough clearance between the inside of the tyre and the inner strut/wheel arch... turn the steering to full lock when checking the front wheels... you also need more clearance between the tyre and the arch liner.

225/40x18.... forget that Idea... will look far too big on the car, even IF they don't rub.

Why change size?.. what is the problem keeping the 215's?

When I got new tyres I went for wider ones... the rears were 255s on 9.5J rims... I upgraded to 275/30/19 (and from 225 fronts to 245s)

However I was careful to match the profiles so overall rolling radius was very close to factory.

I'm very happy with my decision! Drives well and looks pretty cool too!

So the obvious choice is to stay with 215/35's...

I may go to 225/35's then, as the website I bought my wheels off in the first place offer to put 225/35's on instead of 215/35's. have to make a quick decission though as I have to order them before 1:00!

May consider the 215/40's then. As mine's also been lowered on Eibachs.

Marc - got a pic of your car handy? Would like to see the gap / clearance.

No!!! :lol:

The 215/35's are £91 each, and the 215/40s are £99 Each... Unsure which to go for. The 40's would be slightly comfier I suppose..

Bit more road clearance for the Mrs to keep the damn wheels away from Kurbs too!!! :lol:

May consider the 215/40's then. As mine's also been lowered on Eibachs.

Marc - got a pic of your car handy? Would like to see the gap / clearance.

I don't have any immediately available to me, as I cancelled one of my hosting accounts and forgot to download all of the pictures first :lol:

I can take a photo when I get to the car after work tonight, although it might be a bit dark.

Well.. that's that Job jobbed!

2 Toyo Proxes T1R's 215/40/R18's ordered, with a total cost of £203.38 Inc delivery.. :crybaby:

There goes my wages!

All you need now is the cash to fit them! :lol:

Cash to fit them and another £25 on top to get my tracking laser aligned.. it's waaaaay out!

Bloody expensive cars... :ffs:

£25 for alignment is cheap!

Worth doing though when you fit new tyres... ideally get a full alignment done if its that far out!

ATS charge £25 if you get them to do something else first. I'll make them swap my wheels around, put the new tyres on and align it all at the same time. :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links