Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Entry/exit - Iq2

dash

A couple of (daft?) questions regarding smart entry/exit to/from the iQ2...

Does the car come supplied with two transmitters (his and hers !!) or just the one?

How do you know the car has locked when you walk away from it (do the indicators flash)?

What happens if the iQ is parked outside the house immediately on the other side of the wall to where the car keys are kept (will the car remain unlocked and open if someone pulls on the door handle, or is very close proximity of the transmitter required for the doors to be allowed to open)?

Let's say I want to defrost the windscreen on a cold winter's morning; I start the engine, leave it running and walk back (with the transmitter in my pocket) into the house. Will the engine keep running or will it stop after the transmitter has moved a certain distance from the car? (or is there a time delay after which the engine automatically stops without close proximity of the transmitter?).

What happens if someone tries to steal the car in the above situation. Would they be able to open the doors, and if so, how far would they get before the engine stopped?

Not had any experience of smart entry before ....

Dave ;)

Does the car come supplied with two transmitters (his and hers !!) or just the one?

How do you know the car has locked when you walk away from it (do the indicators flash)?

What happens if the iQ is parked outside the house immediately on the other side of the wall to where the car keys are kept (will the car remain unlocked and open if someone pulls on the door handle, or is very close proximity of the transmitter required for the doors to be allowed to open)?

Let's say I want to defrost the windscreen on a cold winter's morning; I start the engine, leave it running and walk back (with the transmitter in my pocket) into the house. Will the engine keep running or will it stop after the transmitter has moved a certain distance from the car? (or is there a time delay after which the engine automatically stops without close proximity of the transmitter?).

What happens if someone tries to steal the car in the above situation. Would they be able to open the doors, and if so, how far would they get before the engine stopped?

Dave ;)

Excellent questions!

I look forward to the answers!!

Another one (I suppose it will be in the manual) that occurs to me is how does the steering lock system work with smart start/entry?

Can the steering lock (If there is one ) be unlocked for towing or must the "ignition" be on......?

John

i have an auris with the smart system. basically you have to be stood right next to the car and i think have the fob on you. it unlocks when you put your hand behind the handle. the system locks by pressing either the button on the door handle or the bton on the fob.

you can leave the engine running and take the fob, the engine will continue to run however if it stops (stalls or turned off) you wont be able to restart it (worth remembering if you drop the other half off somewhere and she has the fob..

the ignition needs to be on for the steering lock to disengage. it engages when the drivers door is opened.

hope that helps.

the sytem is very secure though and after a while you cant imagine having to use something as crude as a key.

it does have an emergency key as well and a failsafe for starting i the fob Battery is discharged.

Many thanks dawesy, it looks pretty foolproof.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, to lock the car you press a button on the fob or door handle (not as I thought, which was to walk away from the car with the fob in your pocket; must admit, this had me worried, as paranioa would kick in and you'd never be sure the car was actually locked !!)

Cheers

Dave

You can just walk away and the indicators flash, or you touch the top or bottom of the door handle and it will lock

My Toyota Delaer showed me the different ways after the test drive

Is the smart entry/start just a gimmick? When the novelty wears off would you rather have a key?

I would say no. It's such a simple system to use, you miss it when it's not on another car you're driving! :lol:

Just a quick bit of advise for future iQ2 owners, keep your key well away from your car when parked. The key will constantly be trying to 'communicate' with the car and you will run the Battery on the key down (it should be good for 2 years) :D

yep cant imagine going back to a key. the only gripe i have with the auris system is you have to unlock the car to open the boot, woul be better if a smart sensor was fitted to the rear as it is on the new avensis. other than that its awesome.

yep cant imagine going back to a key. the only gripe i have with the auris system is you have to unlock the car to open the boot, would be better if a smart sensor was fitted to the rear as it is on the new avensis. other than that its awesome.

The iQ has a button on the tailgate (just above the open button) to lock the car, and I would guess that it also unlocks with proximity of the fob.

I've noticed that the car beeps if you exit and leave the fob inside. Toyota have obviously done some brainstorming !!

oh yeah on the auris there are about 4 or 5 different anttenas in the car to detect where the fob is.

mate of mine has an auris with smart fob.

on his way out , his wife driving, they stoped at the supermarket. as he needed some fuel he told his wife to go and get the shopping while he got the fuel.

it wasnt until he got back in the car after paying for the fuel that he realised his wife had the fob!!!!! quite embarrsing

• 3 weeks later...

Dave ;)

Excellent questions!

Another one (I suppose it will be in the manual) that occurs to me is how does the steering lock system work with smart start/entry?

Can the steering lock (If there is one ) be unlocked for towing or must the "ignition" be on......?

John

Hi John, I am picking up my new IQ2 tomorrow and intend using it for towing behind my motorhome. I've tried to get an answer from Toyota about disengaging the steering lock whilst towing but no success so far. I have a friend who has a Lexus with smart start/entry he opened the car, which disengaged the steering lock and left the fob on the dashboard however, after about five minutes the steering lock engaged itself. Hope to get an answer from Toyota, please let me know if you have any joy.

AOJ

Dave ;)

Excellent questions!

John

Hi John, I am picking up my new IQ2 tomorrow and intend using it for towing behind my motorhome. I've tried to get an answer from Toyota about disengaging the steering lock whilst towing but no success so far. I have a friend who has a Lexus with smart start/entry he opened the car, which disengaged the steering lock and left the fob on the dashboard however, after about five minutes the steering lock engaged itself. Hope to get an answer from Toyota, please let me know if you have any joy.

AOJ

I really don't know the ins and outs of the electronic steering lock system, but the Lexus operation sounds likely...if the engine isn't started within a certain time the steering lock reactivates.Which makes being towed in an iQ2 not possible.

There must be a way round this, lets hope someone can enlighten us (I expect AA or RAC roadside technicians would know as they often have to tow vehicles, if they dont use the lift gadget on the back of their trucks.)

Further to the above: I have just looked in the manual and it says under "emergency towing procedure",

for vehicles with smart entry and start system, press the engine stop/start switch to change to accessory or ignition on mode, put gear in neutral, release handbrake, and off you go..

So, according to that, switching to accessory on, or ignition on, unlocks the steering and it will stay unlocked while the stop/start button mode is not changed.

It may not like nobody being in the driver seat though, that may be the Lexus problem.

One will just have to experiment and see!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links