Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket Blown...?

TokeTillDeath420

Hey... again! Car runs good. No smoke from exhaust, no antifreeze in my oil when i drained it, (but it was real dirty), no overheating, no oil in my antifreeze, Car runs rich, and at high revs exhaust smells really sweet(maybe gas from running rich) (can even smell from the drivers seat with windows open only)... BUT i do have a little very thin "Mayo type" residue on my oil filler cap on the very top... Not thick, but a very thin layer. The car runs great though, is this a gaurenteed blown head gasket, or are there other causes?

Sounds very like condensation. It's caused by a combination of situations, temperature, moisture content in the air, less than ideal engine ventilation, if this condition continues in warmer weather and in large amounts, you could have a leaky headgasket

I'd change the oil and filter more.

I had this problem, my car was running really rich, spitting flames, smelling sweet from inside the car I took it to the garage and we found that it was the switch for the choke. We un-plugged it and ran the car and the revs were lower, it didnt smell and tbh it went so much faster where it wasnt running on full choke all the time. Dunno if this is the same but mines a 1990 Rev 1 NA.

Odered the switch same day pick up and now its all fine again :)

I had this problem, my car was running really rich, spitting flames, smelling sweet from inside the car I took it to the garage and we found that it was the switch for the choke. We un-plugged it and ran the car and the revs were lower, it didnt smell and tbh it went so much faster where it wasnt running on full choke all the time. Dunno if this is the same but mines a 1990 Rev 1 NA.

Odered the switch same day pick up and now its all fine again :)

Well its not spitting flames, but its super rich... where is the choke at?? How to disconnect it?? How much did it cost to fix?? Fix it yourself job?? got a 91 Turbo, maybe the same... definitly worth looking into.

These engines tend to run rich anyway... especially if they have been decatted and run an aftermarket exhaust.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links