Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Mounted Intercoolers

97paseo

If you don't have enough space to sit an intercooler anywhere other than the front of the car what are the problems?

I take it the rad is blocked which isn't good, what else? :huh:

Erm .. for me? Huge lag cause the pipes have to go all the way to the back ..

In yours .. no real problems .. but the large ones are expensive .. also, is there room to fit it?

also, is there room to fit it?

Good point! <_< :rolleyes:

What about the problem with the rad though...

Radiator blockage isnt too much of a problem as an intercooler is designed so that air passes through it and so the rad will still be getting air flow. Onviously the less the rad is blocked the better.

I know of people running MR2s with charge coolers ..

They have the normal rad, the AC rad and the CC rad at the front .. no real problems ..

I can see no disadvantages unless you are rubbish at parking :P

So the only real problem would be the space, are they quite deep?

Also whats the difference in terms of size etc between top mount intercooler & a FMIC & how much are the front mounted one's?

I'd suggest getting an IC off a scrappy .. Supra, RX7 etc .. cheap then.

Getting a new one .. damn expensive ..

Yea I read that the Starlet boys do that as well, good idea.

I'm trying to figure out what's involved with the 5EFE/4EFTE conversion, basically the kit gives you a top mounted intercooler & there's no room for it unless you do a big bonnet bulge & scoop so FMIC would be ideal.

Still not sure about the space issue though. <_<

On my Rolla fitting the intercooler in front of the rad was a breeze - once the air con rad was junked. The biggest problem was fitting the pipework from the supercharger to the IC and back to the inlet manifold. It's still not quite right as it's just touching the underside of the bonnet - any lower and it hits the cam covers - it's a tight fit and difficult to get spot on.

On my Rolla fitting the intercooler in front of the rad was a breeze - once the air con rad was junked.

UK spec Seo's don't have AC so that's one thing I guess! :thumbsup:

The MKIV supra uses a SMIC. Whereas the MKIII uses a FMIC as stock, I'll be ditching mine before Spring hopefully if you'd like it FOC.

when i had my 200sx a lot of people used to use the FMIC out of saabs and Volvos and some times the fontrea there good if you not gunna be running megga boost problems with TMIC is you get a lot of heat soak so FMIC is the way to go B)

VR4 coolers are about the best option for second hand if you can find one. Spearco intercoolers are supposed to be very good and can be found on eBay and work out at arround the £200 mark plus shipping from the states.

:thumbsup:

I would say top mount mate :thumbsup:

I was looking to get a front mount intercooler when the charger was being installed, but got put off by a couple of things.

Front mount

Good

1.) it looks cool

2.) you dont have to get a bonnet vent

3.) you can make a your car a bit stealthy

4.) they can increase bhp

Bad

1.) Price!!! dear god it's expensive!! 750+ for all the piping and the front mount. + fitting

2.) The standard rad that came with the 4agze was bigger then the one on my 4afe so if I wanted to make the pipes fit I would be unable to use the 4agze bigger radiator. Dont know if this would be the same on a 4fte.

3). I am not convinced they make a diffence on a car running under 200bhp, maybe in traffic :D

4.) Possible LAG?? ( I expect to be killed for that :lol: )

Top mount

Good

1.) toyota designed the engine 4fte or a 4agze to have a top mount!! most other turbo/supercharged cars come with standard top mounts i.e subaru!! they only change to front mount over 400bhp!!!

2.)Less lag i.e NONE!

3.)Cool looking bonnet vent!!!

4.) You dont have to remove the rad or the air con!!

Bad

1.)You get the heat off the engine so when in heavy traffic this is a bit of a pain :crybaby:

2.) You dont get to see the top of you engine so are unable to do anything to it i.e chrome it or paint it red.... :-(

With regards to size my top mount is quite deep but only about 15 inches square, I think the front mounts are wider but finner

hehe FLAME SUIT ON!!!!

Nothing to add, but just picking on point 3, not matter what bhp your running any forced induction vehicle will benefit with an intercooler, the colder the intake air the better.

Demon treaks fo some nice iniversal intercolers.. my mate has on on his nova :P they come it all types of sizes.. and will fit anything... reasonably priced too :)

intercoolers

Get reading :P

:thumbsup:

and???

In OZ where this company is based with there 26c Average day temp, The front mount is better?? or not? I read that they are also susceptible too heat soak, as the temp under the bonnet is 80 deg.Cant see how this helps in rainy old england........ Also I was looking but was unable to find I did search for the fact that front mounts are better then top mounts? does it say this??

Nah just have both Top and Front mount!

Seriously, I have noticed that actual flow of an intercooler is just as important as core size and actual placement. The standard 4AGZE top mount intercooler does not flow very well, it is due to the way it is constructed internally, ribs and ridges everywhere. I replaced this item with a modified ARC top mount and the difference was well worth the cost and effort.

My front mount was custom made by Forge Motorsports via Fensport, it is a damn good quality Intercooler and dropped the intake charge temp considerably. Cost me just £250 for the intercooler.

As for plumbing, visit those manufacturing Pipe manufacturing places and get yourself some straight, 90 and 45 degree bend s/s pipes for just a fiver a shot. Connect them all with samco, and when you are ready, get a welder to weld most of it up.

I replaced this item with a modified ARC top mount and the difference was well worth the cost and effort.

I am looking for a arc intercooler mate where did you get it from??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links