Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Melting Headlamps On Toyota Avensis T2 Hatchback

James Gerard

I bought the Avensis new in May, 04 from a proper registered Toyota dealer, it was pre-registered in September, 03 by Toyota UK. but the car was brand new and I was given a full 12 months free service.

It failed the MOT test early last October, the MOT centre told me that the problem was burnt out Headlamps, and I would have no problem getting them fixed under Manufacturer's Warranty. But despite numberous phone calls to the dealer, and to the Toyota Customers Services Centre, which were a joke, they would not replace under warranty, even though everyone knows it is a manufacturing problem, and that the warranty was extended from 3 - 5 years to cover this.

I had to replace the headlamps at my own expense, and am taking the dealer and Toyota UK to the small claims court in the next two weeks, to settle the issue. I have since learned that Toyota Ireland in the South of Ireland have been replacing headlamps in 0'3 models up to December, 08 last. I have been a regular Toyota user over a number of years, but at the moment am not very happy.

Perhaps some other members could help me at this moment.

The extended warranty period was for 5 years, and not 5 years one month

Toyota and the dealer have to draw a line somewhere. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I am always telling people to get warranty issues out of the way well BEFORE the warranty expires, it is so difficult to do after it has expired

I think your dealer could have handled it better, maybe with an offer of 50/50 or something.

Good luck with your claim, but if your car was 5 years one month old, I don't think you will win your case

Kingo :thumbsup:

Extortion might work better.

Or if they hire cars out, then hire a car and slam it into reverse whilst travelling forward at 30mph.

Take a test drive in one of their new cars and wet yersel.

Throw up in their showroom.

Walk into their showroom and service department wearing heavy boots ...having walked thru some dog muck.

Call up the Health and safety people cos they will not have had their electrical equipment PAT tested every year as they should.

Try some of these first to see how you feel - if these don't diffuse your feelings, come back and we'll think of some more..

Extortion might work better.

Or if they hire cars out, then hire a car and slam it into reverse whilst travelling forward at 30mph.

Take a test drive in one of their new cars and wet yersel.

Throw up in their showroom.

Walk into their showroom and service department wearing heavy boots ...having walked thru some dog muck.

Call up the Health and safety people cos they will not have had their electrical equipment PAT tested every year as they should.

Try some of these first to see how you feel - if these don't diffuse your feelings, come back and we'll think of some more..

:banned:

I must admit that is absolutely shocking!!

I had a spring snap on my car, its 5 years old and been out of warrenty for two years.. I went to my local dealership and said that warrenty or no warranty, that is not on, its a safety issue and I want it fixed...

They made a "goodwill" application for me and called me back within an hour to say that it will be replaced free of charge, and half of the labour costs will be covered. 24 hours later it was done, and they valeted my car for me...

Does Toyota not have some form of "goodwill" scheme?

Yup, they extended the warranty to five years ;) I know how they work, and you dont get 5 years one month, two months or six years. 5 Is the limit

Yup, they extended the warranty to five years ;) I know how they work, and you dont get 5 years one month, two months or six years. 5 Is the limit

Hmmm

maybe we should mount a campaign against all T dealers :sneaky2: :sneaky2:

Or bombard them with questions - might create more jobs???

• 1 year later...

Hi , I couldn't agree with you guys more. I have a 04 avensis and I have just been told that I need to buy two new headlamps, through no fault of my own. They have admitted to me that they have had to change a lot of these, so much for (best built cars in the world). More like best fire trap in the world. What if one of these hot bulbs melts in to the plastic fitting and goes on fire ??????????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links