Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gap Insurance

Nick F

Like someone was saying in another thread my dealers who were unprepared to offer any discount, they reluctantly agreed to mats and a full tank, also tried to sell me supaguard and GAP insurance. Now, I think that the GAP insurance is a good idea. It means we could get back full receipt value for the car in the event of a right off and since the car is so expensive, that it peace of mind well worth having. They quoted me £350 and I was ready to agree but because I was concerned at the amount of money spent already spent I went and did some research. Try going to a website called click4gap.com. From what I see the same insurance is going for £125! Although I see some of you are getting this free from your dealerships. I think I am a poor negotiater - it was not too difficult to read that I wanted to buy the car!

Like all insurance, you dont want it until you need it!

I have seen so many people write off a new car, and end up losing out because there is a difference in market/replacement price, sure, MOST insurance companies will replace a car under 12 months old with another, but what if they don't? YOU will be responsible for putting the difference towards it, check how long the GAP cover is for, 12 months, 24, 36?? and look at all the small print with online GAP suppliers, as the amount of cover you get does vary

Kingo :thumbsup:

I found GAP insurance cheaper online, and it was for 3 years, same as Toyota and everything else was the same too so im gonna organise it seperately. You can buy it upto like 3 months after buying the car as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Like all insurance, you dont want it until you need it!

I have seen so many people write off a new car, and end up losing out because there is a difference in market/replacement price, sure, MOST insurance companies will replace a car under 12 months old with another, but what if they don't? YOU will be responsible for putting the difference towards it, check how long the GAP cover is for, 12 months, 24, 36?? and look at all the small print with online GAP suppliers, as the amount of cover you get does vary

Kingo :thumbsup:

Like others I was given the GAP (total loss protection ) cover as part of the purchase deal, but apart from having it itemised as "TLP" on the receipt/invoice for the car I don't have any other paperwork to prove I have it.

Should I expect something like the "Club Toyota" pack, or is there any other paperwork I should be sent detailing the length of cover, exclusions etc?

I have had the car nearly 4 weeks now.

I found GAP insurance cheaper online, and it was for 3 years, same as Toyota and everything else was the same too so im gonna organise it seperately. You can buy it upto like 3 months after buying the car as well.

Would you like to share what website it was please :)

Would you like to share what website it was please :)

if you need insurance, get it from an insurance company, not a car dealership.

Like others I was given the GAP (total loss protection ) cover as part of the purchase deal, but apart from having it itemised as "TLP" on the receipt/invoice for the car I don't have any other paperwork to prove I have it.

Should I expect something like the "Club Toyota" pack, or is there any other paperwork I should be sent detailing the length of cover, exclusions etc?

I have a policy booklet & a schedule of cover page.

It's in the Homefile section of my Toyota Approved Used Car folder that came with the car.

I have a policy booklet & a schedule of cover page.

It's in the Homefile section of my Toyota Approved Used Car folder that came with the car.

Thanks Heidfirst, I rang up this morning to be told the booklet etc was sent out three weeks ago......!......so I have asked for another attempt at a mailshot, and re-given them my address.

We will see what happens...hopefully it will arrive and all will be well.

Don't like mysteries, or glib salespersons for that matter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links