Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Problem

sunny

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good mechanic to take a look at a 1994 import MR2 turbo. The problem is that when my friend has the car on full right lock and then brakes she gets a groaning noise and the brake pedal goes down. The A.B.S light goes out on the dash as it should and its not lost any brake fluid. Few people have looked at it but it remains a mystery. We have checked the obvious things such as pads and disks and fluid etc and they are all ok.

I would appreciate it if anyone can give me any ideas as to what it may be or the name and and details of any good mechanics around Kingston (Surrey ) area that may be able to diagnose this problem.

Thanks.

does the peformance of the brakes change, do you have brake fade, when you turn the wheel full lock the power stearing pump makes a noise.

only does it on full right lock and not full left lock, and when the noise comes on at full lock the pedal suddenly drops down and feels limp. In normal use brakes are fine and fade free dont know why but it will only occur on right full lock under braking, sure got me puzzled.

Is the groning coming from the power steering hitting full lock - it does make a noise when you hold it at full lock. This probably doesn't help but it stop you worrying about the groning. Have you bled each caliper individually, one after the other with an easy bleed kit to force any bubbles through? might be worth trying.

Matt

u say the abs light goes out on the dash????

if the abs light is on, then that means it isnt working, if the light goes off, then it is working.

my abs light is on most of the time as my abs isnt working right. occasionally it goes off and then the abs does work.

if im wrong please people correct me, cos i was gonna have a look at mending this (possibly paying someone else), but if the light on is the correct specification then i wont bother.

if your light is on all the time then your ABS isn't working..

I dunno about this, but it may come on when it is actually in operation.. then go out when finished also.

full right lock and then brakes she gets a groaning noise

My wifes Mazda 323 does exactly this. I'll give it a go in my 2 to see if it happens in that too.

The 323 was looked a while ago with a Mazda mechanic cos there was a very slight noise when full right lock was on (without braking), only conclusion was that it was possibly rust on the disc (maybe rubbing against the brake pad or caliper) - as eventually after keep trying the noise stopped only to be repeated days later then stops after lots of full right lock again....

I dunno about this, but it may come on when it is actually in operation.. then go out when finished also.

dont think so jim, but i could be wrong. i agree with you agreeing with me about it being on - being a problem. (phew :wacko: )

mine never used to be on at all, and it worked all the time. last few months it is hit and miss when it decides to be on or not.

if it doesnt stay on when i first start the car - going over a bump usually makes it light up, and then it doesnt work.

so i have to assume that on means knackered, and off means all is good.

anyone know how to fix this? where is the abs sensor? i assume that with it playing up when i go over a bump, that it will be underneath somewhere - perhaps on a caliper?

i aint got a workshop cd manual yet! :(

When you START the car the ABS light should go ON and then OFF.....if it is ON CONSTANTLY, or flickering on and off during normal driving etc then there is a problem.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Checked all the ABS sensors again and one is showing very low volt or ohm or how ever they measure it. I have ordered that sensor and the mechanic reckons that that should sort the problem out.

Also I rang the Toyota technical department and was told that when you switch the car on ABS light should stay on for about 2 seconds or so and then go off if everything is normal and working as it should be.

Sunny.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links