Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Grade

mike787

I have just read an article by the journalist 'Honest John' about fuel and the failure of a component in a Toyota Rav 4 where the mechanic blamed supermarket fuel. In short the journalist swears by the philosophy of 'you get what you pay for'. I have read numerous postings on this subject before with users claiming better mpg following the use of super unleaded, but what I am concerned about is any detrimental effect on the engine by using cheap fuel. What are IQ users intending to run their cars on, supermarket slop or super unleaded? Whatever you choose, why are you going down that route? I ran my Smart on 'main dealer' fuel and it still blew up after only 40,000 miles careful use and main dealer servicing. I wonder what is the best option to take?

Supermarket fuel is no different to the brands - no way on earth is it economical for refineries to churn out different grades for different consumers.

Generally speaking, Tesco=Esso, Sainsbugs =BP, not sure who Morrisons buy from.

I find my Volvo S60 runs better on Tesco's top grade than it does Shell Ultimate, likewise my old smart (3 of the 5 I owned also blew up at under 10k miles!).

its the additives that make the difference refinerys make raw petrol then when its loaded onto the tankers additives are added, supermarkets probably add no additives whilst Shell BP total etc. add there own, I have even heard of supermarkets sourcing there fuel from tankers floating around, god knows where that is made. you may save 1 or 2 pence at the supermarket but its definitely not the same as branded petrol its like Asda own cola and coke cola

I also use BP ultimate 97 ron in mine btw

I been putting VPower in mine lol, or Tesco 99 if there is no Esso.

Dont mind the extra cost over 95/97. Im just so used to putting in Vpower/99 from previous cars as well

I have just read an article by the journalist 'Honest John' about fuel and the failure of a component in a Toyota Rav 4 where the mechanic blamed supermarket fuel. In short the journalist swears by the philosophy of 'you get what you pay for'. I have read numerous postings on this subject before with users claiming better mpg following the use of super unleaded, but what I am concerned about is any detrimental effect on the engine by using cheap fuel. What are IQ users intending to run their cars on, supermarket slop or super unleaded? Whatever you choose, why are you going down that route? I ran my Smart on 'main dealer' fuel and it still blew up after only 40,000 miles careful use and main dealer servicing. I wonder what is the best option to take?

we had a problem in my area with Tesco fuel not long ago, it had something put in the fuel by accident that damaged engines with Lamda sencers, older engines were fine, in the end Tesco paid for the damaged engines to be repaired, petrol from supermarkets is different but i would not say worse than anywhere else, its all to do with the additives they put in

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links