Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Coming Back ?

dave.m

Isn't that the rumoured Supra/Celica/MR2? :lol:

I don't really care what it's called provided Toyota put the damn thing into production!!!

:thumbsup:

Isn't that the rumoured Supra/Celica/MR2? :lol:

I don't really care what it's called provided Toyota put the damn thing into production!!!

:thumbsup:

Agreed :thumbsup: but throw the batteries away and leave it with a decent engine.

Sadly Toyota have gone "green" :(

Provided the electric motor simply adds power to a big petrol engine then i'm willing to compromise! :lol:

Looks like it will finally go into production, more and more hybrids are on the cards, bowing to goverments CO2 objectives :angry: You can put a V8 in it anyday fer me!

Kingo :thumbsup:

dimensions would be interesting - it looks as if its built for those 5'3" and under, weighing in at less than 6 stone......there see - showing my age - can't even work out into metres and kg!!

Looks like the FT-HC or what ever it was called... people were calling it the "supra" a bit back too.

It's none of the above.

I wish Toyota still made decent cars :(

I resurrected my posts re my Chevy Monza, posted in 2005, to show the comparison (I think) in styling.

If you click on cfc1's reply it should bring up the Pics :thumbsup:

This looks just like the last 2 prototype efforts Toyota came up with. Didnt one of them get shelved due to the current economic climate? Dont see how they can call it an MR2 tho, nothing in common what so ever!!

I like the look of it tho.

This isn't the FT-HS, which was described as the new Supra, but it is very similar..

toyota-fths.jpg

FT-HS

car_photo_303846_25.jpg

car_photo_303847_25.jpg

MR2

These artist’s impressions give you an idea of how it will look. At the front it mixes cues from Toyota’s FT-HS sports car concept with a deep lower air intake, while the side has a kick up on the door towards the roof. At the rear are lights from the FT-HS and a neat diffuser-style lower bumper.

Seems like this one is in actual fact a new "MR2"

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express at the Geneva Motor Show, Toyota executive vice president Masatami Takimoto said: “We are aware of the fondness with which the MR2 is held in the UK and Europe, and are developing a small hybrid sports car.

“We have set a tough price point (expected to be around £20,000), as it will be easier to sell if it is affordable. It has to be fun to drive, too, which means the hybrid set-up must be different to the Prius’s, with greater responsiveness.”

I love it.... maybe in 2 or 3 years I will consider one if it is in production :yes:

I was under the impression that Toyota had put this car 'on ice' to at least 2010 :unsure:

Sorry but that looks like an evolution of the FT-HS to me. the fact that its a "hybrid sports" concept too. Concept cars often go to the next stage and change the name...

I hated it then and hate now ;) They are just pretending to make "interesing" cars by using the names of the decent cars they used to make.

Sorry but that looks like an evolution of the FT-HS to me. the fact that its a "hybrid sports" concept too. Concept cars often go to the next stage and change the name...

I hated it then and hate now ;) They are just pretending to make "interesing" cars by using the names of the decent cars they used to make.

I am sorry to be critical but that is extremely negative and narrow minded :blink:

The words I highlight are "....decent cars they used to make". If manufacturers still made cars like those they used to make then we would still be driving around in vehicles similar to models such at the Morris Minor or Ford Cortina.... good grief do you really want that :unsure: If Toyota made cars like "....they used to make" then Toyota would never have made the Supra :rolleyes:

Cars must evolve as does life.... we have to move on and if this new potential model is an evolution of the old MR2 then good for Toyota. Nothing stays the same, especially cars :yahoo:

You hate it.... I like it.... we are different and thank goodness there are cars that evolve to suit our evolving tastes :yes:

You must admit that cars are getting a bit bland tho!!!

I disagree if this new MR2 gets into the showrooms :P

Are they definitely putting it into production? I'm thinking that in these harsh economic times they won't take the risk.... people just aren't buying new cars at the moment unless they have to.... or have loads of money!

It's definitely interesting though.... :yes:

I believe what Karma is referring to is having a decent good old fasioned 3SGTE style engine... forced induction and performance figures like the old MR2 turbo of hitting 60 in 5.2...

I believe what Karma is referring to is having a decent good old fasioned 3SGTE style engine... forced induction and performance figures like the old MR2 turbo of hitting 60 in 5.2...

Fair enough but I have to pick up on a couple of your words.... "old fasioned".... I don't want 'old fashion', I've done that and now want a car that has evolved :yes:

Fair enough but I have to pick up on a couple of your words.... "old fasioned".... I don't want 'old fashion', I've done that and now want a car that has evolved :yes:

Im my eyes for a 'sports car' to evolve would mean for it to get 'better' and in my eyes the only way for a 'sport car' to get better is to get faster... they went backward on that after they ditched the big power cars.. :(

Im my eyes for a 'sports car' to evolve would mean for it to get 'better' and in my eyes the only way for a 'sport car' to get better is to get faster... they went backward on that after they ditched the big power cars.. :(

Yes but it might be faster. So many people only see the 0-60 time and that is not the only indication of pace on the track. A modern lightweight rwd car is going to spank those old, tricky turbo MR2s.

Let's see how it actually goes, before making possibly incorrect judgments.

Paul.

.......... we would still be driving around in vehicles similar to models such at the Morris Minor or Ford Cortina.... good grief do you really want that :unsure:

Absolutely not !

Drive a car with Character - Whatever next?? :P

No I'm will not and cannot subscribe to the theory that faster is better.... a real sports car is not built around a fast or huge engine. A real sports car is about the chassis and how well it handles around the twisty roads. A sports car, to me, means nimble and quick.... not necessarily fast!

A car that is built round a huge fast engine is, as far as I am concerned, a GT.... something that can eat the miles at speed and in comfort.

If Toyota ever get that new MR2, or whatever it will be called, into production then this an evolution type of car.... no not a bloody Mitsubishi! A car that has evolved into something beyond cars that have gone before it! If hybrids are what the next generation of cars are to be about then how about embracing them with an open mind and not with a mind that is focused on the past.

Yes I like the classic sports cars of yesteryear.... I like the old Morgans or Triumphs or MGBs or Datsuns etc etc, but these are 'old school' and not what the future is about. The future is about evolution and looking forward :)

.......... we would still be driving around in vehicles similar to models such at the Morris Minor or Ford Cortina.... good grief do you really want that :unsure:

Absolutely not !

Drive a car with Character - Whatever next?? :P

:lol: Yes those cars with character all too frequently broke down.... I got sick of character cars a lot time ago :rolleyes:

Granted... it aint all about the 0-60 but on track the new 7th gen 190 wont be as quick as the 6th gen gt4 on track (im sure thats the case but am willing to be corrected on that.

You dont get the buzz that a forced induction car gives you in a NA... I love cars with character as much as the next person.

My current situation is that i drive a Honda Integra Type R and its a !Removed! amazing machine in terms of handling and engine. I know for a fact that it would keep ahead of a MR2 Turbo and many other turbo'd rwd cars out there in the market today!

Im now selling up to go back to back to the MR2 Turbo.. reason being is that the DC2 is too wasy to drive on the limit! For me, cars which take skill in driving quick give me a more rewarding experience. I found the GT4 dull after owning the MR2 turbo.

As you say...everyone is different and thank god for that! :)

I hope they do make it....

But one thing is for sure it wont be called the MR2.....

a person aifter ma own heart...

wi 2 1994 RAV4s both sporting 3SGTE engines, and GT4 intercooler, I have never driven anything that comes near to the exhileration that these give me .....and I've driven a few cars over ma time, including more recent cars.

Now - will a 3SGTE fit into ma Humber Hawk??? Bench seats in red leather - those were the days!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links