Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The "notchy Change From 3rd To 2nd Gear" Thread

Brassik

Thought I'd give a new thread a lease of life on the matter!

Many of us seem to have this issue....my question is, has anyone yet had their's succesfully fixed?

I took mine in yesterday, was assured they knew what the issue was (apparently one of the people who works there has an IQ with the same issue, and I was even told that the new Avensis suffers the same issue!)

So I left feeling pretty confident.

Went and picked it up.....have driven it 15 miles since and guess what.

Yep, the problem is STILL there. :censor:

Not a happy bunny. :crybaby:

So yeah, I'm curious.....has anyone's notchy/sticking gear change issue been successfully resolved yet?

Mine is actually worse from 1st to 2nd but other way too, mine went in two days ago & seems better but yesterday had problems again & had to select neutral first to get 2nd! I will give it a couple more days.

Mine is actually worse from 1st to 2nd but other way too, mine went in two days ago & seems better but yesterday had problems again & had to select neutral first to get 2nd! I will give it a couple more days.

Annoying isn't it! I was assured mine was fixed but no, just as bad as before it went in!

Will give it a few days and then kick up a royal stink over it.

Indeed we should also swap dealer details so we can use that when we go in. I was annoyed as if you read my other thread they would not show me the bulletin about it & denied there was one yet it had it written on my service notes.

Going out later so will let ya know.

Hi ya :D

I had the major issue of 1st to 2nd also 3rd to 2nd with my car

they managed to sort it out but now i've been left with no

reverse gear can you belive it, they told me to carry on

driving it :help:

Many of us seem to have this issue....my question is, has anyone yet had their's succesfully fixed?

I took mine in yesterday, was assured they knew what the issue was (apparently one of the people who works there has an IQ with the same issue, and I was even told that the new Avensis suffers the same issue!)

So yeah, I'm curious.....has anyone's notchy/sticking gear change issue been successfully resolved yet?

yeah they got rid and , went to Ford, Toyota have lost the plot

The wife's car went in yesterday. The mechanic stated there was a small adjustment made to the cabling, about 2 mm, after getting some info from Toyota technical. She has driven it and it is still the same.

Picked mine up last Saturday

Have only done 150 miles now.

Find it is a little notchy from 1st to 2nd but from 3rd to 2nd it DOESN'T go into gear more often than it does.

I just have to put it back to neutral and into second.

I told them (during conversation about the car) that I had joined the club here and there are a couple of common issues ( gear and scratched panels) but they said they hadn't heard of either being a problem?

I will contact the dealer but don't really want to take it back and let them mess around unless anyway has had a truely successful fix.

Has anyone yet?

Mine is miles better, so glad I took it in. There is a service bulletin if they contact Toyota GB who do know about it. Get it done as your 2nd gear synchro will wear a lot quicker with this crunchy changing you are doing.

Jaine

Mine is miles better, so glad I took it in. There is a service bulletin if they contact Toyota GB who do know about it. Get it done as your 2nd gear synchro will wear a lot quicker with this crunchy changing you are doing.

Jaine

Hi Jaine my dealer reckons there are no known issues with the gears and thinks my 2nd gear crunch is because its new :-(

Also just spoke to toyota head office customer service department and they also have said there are no known issues with the iq gear box only the on yaris!!!! what's going on?

Well my service dept had a bulletin as they knew exactly what to fix but they did take two days to get an answer when I first rang to book it in. Also when I signed the warranty booking in I saw it said ref bulletin. Nothing to do with being new & mine actually got worse as the mileage went up.

I am sick to death of people on here trying to tell me how to change gear, that it needs a positive touch. Go away, I know how to change gear I learnt about 25years ago thanks very much.

Keep on at them or ask them to contact Hills Toyota in Bishops Stortford as they know about it!

Jaine

Hi ya :D

I had the major issue of 1st to 2nd also 3rd to 2nd with my car

they managed to sort it out but now i've been left with no

reverse gear can you belive it, they told me to carry on

driving it :help:

- so how are you supposed to reverse it? I mean, I know the RAV has a really lovely small turning circle but...! :D

Well my service dept had a bulletin as they knew exactly what to fix but they did take two days to get an answer when I first rang to book it in. Also when I signed the warranty booking in I saw it said ref bulletin. Nothing to do with being new & mine actually got worse as the mileage went up.

I am sick to death of people on here trying to tell me how to change gear, that it needs a positive touch. Go away, I know how to change gear I learnt about 25years ago thanks very much.

Keep on at them or ask them to contact Hills Toyota in Bishops Stortford as they know about it!

Jaine

Thanks Jaine really love the car hope they can fix it soon

• 1 month later...

Well Im still struggling to get our main dealer to understand let alone fix the problem by tomorrow they ve had it 3 days, having returned for it today and driven a mile or so down the road i took it straight back for being no better or slightly worse, and Ive been in touch with Toyota customer relations who still maintain theve not heard of this problem, so at present nobody myself included is getting anywhere it seems :angry:

Well Im still struggling to get our main dealer to understand let alone fix the problem by tomorrow they ve had it 3 days, having returned for it today and driven a mile or so down the road i took it straight back for being no better or slightly worse, and Ive been in touch with Toyota customer relations who still maintain theve not heard of this problem, so at present nobody myself included is getting anywhere it seems :angry:

hi guys i have had my iq now for a week so far no real problems with gears apart from trying to get it into reverse mode it sometimes sticks and have to try a few times will keep you informed

I think it is disgusting that Toyota are playing us like this when they damn well know there is a problem, it is only a small adjustment under the gearstick to the selector & they had the damn bulletin when I kicked up a fuss. Not sure how to get any attention about this apart from all of us with the issue (even though mine is fixed) writing to the car press or all going to Toyota GB en masse?

Jaine

Hi Jaine my dealer reckons there are no known issues with the gears and thinks my 2nd gear crunch is because its new :-(

Also just spoke to toyota head office customer service department and they also have said there are no known issues with the iq gear box only the on yaris!!!! what's going on?

Well, its not just IQ or Yaris - my Aygo was quite poor from 1st to 2nd after a clutch change. I was quite unhappy with it at first since its the sort of minor fault that could cause a major accident say when joining a roundabout and finding one-self stranded with no power and side-on oncoming trafic. Took mine straight back and waited till they had another look at it. Half an hour latter, next time away from the dealer same thing happened again. Further advice from them - "just try and drive round it!" Well, must say it has eased, but it's no way to go on if the main dealer can't put them back together with 100% certanty.

I think it is disgusting that Toyota are playing us like this when they damn well know there is a problem, it is only a small adjustment under the gearstick to the selector & they had the damn bulletin when I kicked up a fuss. Not sure how to get any attention about this apart from all of us with the issue (even though mine is fixed) writing to the car press or all going to Toyota GB en masse?

Well they (the main dealer) say that they have adjusted and then readjusted and readjusted it again and each time say it is fine, until strangely enough i take it for a test run and its no different ,its as if Im one of the few nit picking drivers in the country who knows the difference between a rough gear change and how it should be. Ive got a 15 year old peugeot 106 in my driveway (my wife,s old car from long ago) and the gear change in that is rolls royce by comparison.

Incidentally the gearchange in our IQ is ok when cold but gets worse the further you drive, does anybody else find this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well they (the main dealer) say that they have adjusted and then readjusted and readjusted it again and each time say it is fine, until strangely enough i take it for a test run and its no different ,its as if Im one of the few nit picking drivers in the country who knows the difference between a rough gear change and how it should be. Ive got a 15 year old peugeot 106 in my driveway (my wife,s old car from long ago) and the gear change in that is rolls royce by comparison.

Incidentally the gearchange in our IQ is ok when cold but gets worse the further you drive, does anybody else find this?

I have to say this is true for me too, my dealer is adamant there is nothing wrong and toyota HQ still say they have no known issues with the iq, only the yaris...

maybe we should Youtube it and see the response then!!! I really like this car and the brand, so I can't understand how this is happening.

Oh dear I seem to be having problems getting into damn 4th now! Especially from 5th down. See how it goes for another week then book it in.

I think it was because I am driving the works car & the gears are so far apart as seems OK now. Thank baby Jesus!

• 2 weeks later...
I think it was because I am driving the works car & the gears are so far apart as seems OK now. Thank baby Jesus!

No it isnt your imagination I have the same problem it just seems to improve then again you get lost between 5th down to 4th,its just an unbelievable piece of really cheap crap sorry but it just is and still there is 1st to 2nd to worry about surprisingly im getting nowhere with the main dealer steven eagell aylesbury or toyota , time for legal action i fear!

No it isnt your imagination I have the same problem it just seems to improve then again you get lost between 5th down to 4th,its just an unbelievable piece of really cheap crap sorry but it just is and still there is 1st to 2nd to worry about surprisingly im getting nowhere with the main dealer steven eagell aylesbury or toyota , time for legal action i fear!

Dont seem to have that problem with my IQ gear change is very smooth it must be the way yours is setup

Dont seem to have that problem with my IQ gear change is very smooth it must be the way yours is setup

Well they have certainly had plenty of goes at setting ours up, its not really me that suffers its my poor wife that drives it every day, whereas i only get a look in at the weekend if im lucky.

Im so glad that someone has one that works, despite the gearbox irritation we do like the little car alot , just sick and tired of usual toyota excuses for a lousy gearbox , I really wish we had either paid more for the automatic or waited for the six speed 1.3 which hopefully is better.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links