Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Change Not Smooth

HowardL

My son has bought a 1litre '02 yaris .

I took it for a test drive and immediately noticed how smooth the gear change was, my 1.3 is not so smooth compared to this one.

Sometimes my yaris gears are hard to select at idle and when moving, does the linkage need adjustment or is the clutch on the way out?as it does judder every now and then.

It's done 41000 miles

I took it for a test drive and immediately noticed how smooth the gear change was, my 1.3 is not so smooth compared to this one.

Sometimes my yaris gears are hard to select at idle and when moving, does the linkage need adjustment or is the clutch on the way out?as it does judder every now and then.

It's done 41000 miles

i find it hard to put my car into something like 1st gear if im travelling past 15-20mph. it just needs to be forced.

when you put it into gear, do you hear a whirring noise? even with the clutch pushed in full wack as far as it can go.

It's done 41000 miles

i find it hard to put my car into something like 1st gear if im travelling past 15-20mph. it just needs to be forced.

when you put it into gear, do you hear a whirring noise? even with the clutch pushed in full wack as far as it can go.

No, there's no noise at all.

It's just so...(for want of a better term)...sticky.

Why on earth are you putting it back into 1st at those kind of speeds??? :wacko:

The fact it needs to be forced is telling you something.....

Why on earth are you putting it back into 1st at those kind of speeds??? :wacko:

The fact it needs to be forced is telling you something.....

because it sort of makes a whirring noise, i was just checking to see if it did the same thing at speed as when idle. forced was just the best way to desribe it, its not like im takin a hammer to it, im just giving it a bit more of a push to get it in.

because it sort of makes a whirring noise, i was just checking to see if it did the same thing at speed as when idle. forced was just the best way to desribe it, its not like im takin a hammer to it, im just giving it a bit more of a push to get it in.

I'm not suprised it's making whirring noises if it's being put back into first at those speeds. :eek:

WHAT!!!

:crybaby:

what it is, is it makes a whirring noise if you read all the posts, so i was just testing it out. ive tried it with other cars, asking the owner if i could try it and nothing happens there. its not like im making a full time job out of it, im just testing the issue to see if it occurs. the clutch is fully pressed in the whole time

what it is, is it makes a whirring noise if you read all the posts, so i was just testing it out. ive tried it with other cars, asking the owner if i could try it and nothing happens there. its not like im making a full time job out of it, im just testing the issue to see if it occurs. the clutch is fully pressed in the whole time

yep

It's done 41000 miles

Anyone with any ideas?

It's done 41000 miles

Anyone with any ideas?

what plate is the 1.3 yaris

On my D4D and my old Fiesta, it would resist being put into 1st gear if you were going above 4mph, and wouldn't let you put it in at all above 10mph! I figured this was a safety feature, just like on some cars where the R is behind 5th, there is a gate which prevents you shifting directly from 5th to R.

I have to say that the gearbox feels a less smooth than on my old Fiesta too, and there is loads of 'wiggle' when it is in gear (In 1st gear for instance, you can wiggle the stick from side to side and there is about 1-2cm of movement! Is this normal??).

This is just nitpicking 'tho :rolleyes:

I've never quite fancied the Yaris' gearbox, it's hard to get into first and neutral when cold and can be a b*tch between first and second.. But if you have problems pushing it into first, you just push the clutch out and in again before you try. Force is bad :)

It's done 41000 miles

Anyone with any ideas?

what plate is the 1.3 yaris

A '53

Hi mate, my 2000 Sr is a bit sticky on the gears sometimes. It seems to get better as it gets hot so i don't worry about it. :)

Sometimes it is a bit hesitant from neutral to first and from 1st to 2nd it sometimes crunches a bit but goes ok after a while.

As it's allways done this, i don't worry about it. Some cars have sticky boxes, my Yaris is no worse than some VW's i've previously owned.

I would only worry if it crunched all the time and refused to go in certain gears. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links