Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Some Sooty Smoke And Boost Problems

turboz

Hello I posted the following posts on imoc and never had 1 reply could someone please give me some advice thanks..

On my rev 2 turbo i noticed on heavy boost it started to ''splutter"" and hold back when i push it so pulled over and i seen a crack in a rubber hose,

so i got the 10ml spanner out and took off the hose 4 a temp repair and the crack was not all the way through the pipe yet.

I also discovered oil inside the pipe.

The pipe comes from the unit that is stamped ''TWIN ENTRY TURBO'' and looks like it is going to the inlet of the intercooler but dont quote me on that it leads to the far right of the engine bay. the rubber is only about 3in long but is at the top of the engine next the the throttle.

there was quite alot of oil... all around the the pipe and the steel part that goes to the ''intercooler''???

I hope this is not oil seals on the turbo..

the car does not smoke at all at any time.

runs without a miss but plays up on FULL boost..

................................................................................

.................................................................................

THE PIPE IS THE INTERCOOLER THROTTLE BODY INTAKE PIPE.

................................................................................

.................................................................................

After saying no smoke... I took her out and i noticed black carbon smoke when i rev the car and the spluttering is getting worse it's making a loud gargling noise on boost it splutters at diff stages of the throttle.

really feels like it's turbo related..

After looking at a few posts i realise the sooty residue at the exhaust could be overfueling.

but for a while now the car has been playing up with missing on boost and it's just been getting worse.

but now it hardly boosts at all,

It's worse the warmer it get's and there's the black sooty smoke thats never been there before.

Really don't know what to do and would really appricate some advice !!

The work thats been carried out lately is

New full exhaust system from turbo..

New sparkpluges::: car runs much better when installed.

New rockercover gasket:::: because of oil leak.

New oil filter and oil change.

and i have posted another problem with the am2 fuse blowing not so long ago:: still unresolved;;

To be honest all the problems started when the exhaust was installed first the am2 fuse blowing

Then missing on boost

Then sooty smoke and worse boosting problems

I don't know if all this is all related or not but the exhaust fitter did snap bolts onto the turbo manifold and had to tap new threds into it for the decat.

Finaly at the engine bay when you lift the lid there should of been a black metal cover protecting the engine from the elements but the last owner removed for better air circ,

I have put this back on.

The cat sensor is tied up out of the way.

Sorry if this seems to go on and on but im just trying to put everything down possible.

Is it worth going to a toyota garage to get it plugged in to see what the error codes are?

Thank you.

turboz

Hello I posted the following posts on imoc and never had 1 reply could someone please give me some advice thanks..

On my rev 2 turbo i noticed on heavy boost it started to ''splutter"" and hold back when i push it so pulled over and i seen a crack in a rubber hose,

so i got the 10ml spanner out and took off the hose 4 a temp repair and the crack was not all the way through the pipe yet.

I also discovered oil inside the pipe.

The pipe comes from the unit that is stamped ''TWIN ENTRY TURBO'' and looks like it is going to the inlet of the intercooler but dont quote me on that it leads to the far right of the engine bay. the rubber is only about 3in long but is at the top of the engine next the the throttle.

there was quite alot of oil... all around the the pipe and the steel part that goes to the ''intercooler''???

I hope this is not oil seals on the turbo..

the car does not smoke at all at any time.

runs without a miss but plays up on FULL boost..

THE PIPE IS THE INTERCOOLER THROTTLE BODY INTAKE PIPE.

After saying no smoke... I took her out and i noticed black carbon smoke when i rev the car and the spluttering is getting worse it's making a loud gargling noise on boost it splutters at diff stages of the throttle.

really feels like it's turbo related..

After looking at a few posts i realise the sooty residue at the exhaust could be overfueling.

but for a while now the car has been playing up with missing on boost and it's just been getting worse.

but now it hardly boosts at all,

It's worse the warmer it get's and there's the black sooty smoke thats never been there before.

Really don't know what to do and would really appricate some advice !!

The work thats been carried out lately is

New full exhaust system from turbo..

New sparkpluges::: car runs much better when installed.

New rockercover gasket:::: because of oil leak.

New oil filter and oil change.

and i have posted another problem with the am2 fuse blowing not so long ago:: still unresolved;;

To be honest all the problems started when the exhaust was installed first the am2 fuse blowing

Then missing on boost

Then sooty smoke and worse boosting problems

I don't know if all this is all related or not but the exhaust fitter did snap bolts onto the turbo manifold and had to tap new threds into it for the decat.

Finaly at the engine bay when you lift the lid there should of been a black metal cover protecting the engine from the elements but the last owner removed for better air circ,

I have put this back on.

The cat sensor is tied up out of the way.

Sorry if this seems to go on and on but im just trying to put everything down possible.

Is it worth going to a toyota garage to get it plugged in to see what the error codes are?

Thank you.

turboz

Cant answer most of your issues but you can check error codes yourself

In the engine compartment theres a grey diagnostics box on the rear bulkhead ,open it up and bridge two terminals with some thin wire ,terminals are E1 and T1

turn on the ignition and if youve bridged the terminals correct ,the engine management light will start to flash

constant flashing at one speed means no error codes stored

flashing a few times then stops and flashes again is the error code

Example (four flashes stop 2 flashes stop) means error code 42 and so on

have a go and post back any code numbers?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links