Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question On Mr2 Turbo And Mkiii

TRDGT

Hey all, I'm new here and I wanted to find out some info to help me decide on my future project car.

I'm looking to build a fun, fast, track car. The MR2 was one of the cars I was looking into. But after looking

into specs I never realized how heavy the MKII was. I thought it was much lighter than that. So this leads

me to my question.

Which is a better platform to start with for both price and mod friendliness? The MKII turbo or the new MKIII?

The MKIII weighs around 2200 lbs with the turbo coming in at almost 2900. How good are both motors at handling

mods and how much can the stock block take? I'm thinking the Turbo is probably more stout but I've heard it

is notorious for blown head gaskets.

How much can the stock motor take in each of these?

I appreciate any and all info on this topic. I'm eager to get started on a new fun car and like to be as informed as possible. My other choice I was thinking of was a 240sx. Never tried drifting and it's always been appealing to me.

Well from what I understand if your gonna go the spyder way and you wanna turbo it then most definitly go for a turbo kit made for the spyder....don't attempt to get someone to fabricate one for you,use one that's tried and true. But then it's still a bit of a risk...you will probably have to fiddle with it a fair bit to get it running properly.....it's still a new idea with this car :( There is just so much you would have to change.

For that reason I'd be inclined to just go for a SW20 and put it on a diet......plus with the 3sgte already know for up to 500hp on stock internals you can't go wrong.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

The mk3 will "feel" like it handles better .. as it's lighter and smaller ..

The Mk2 Turbo is setup for 300 bhp without too many problems .. and 500 bhp is obtainable (but maybe undrivable).

the Mk3 for that would require a LOT of work and possibly a new engine (one out of a tubby perhaps?)

Like kiwi said the mk2's been tried and tested with loadsa diff setups, wheras the mk3 is still relatively new-ish. U mite have more fun doing new stuff w. the mk3, but personally i'd go w. the mk2 ;)

-Z

not being able to get the power down, wheel spins, backwards through hedges etc ..

and only being able to go reound corners at 5mph incase the turbo spools up half way round ..

oooh. ... lol

sounds like fun.... :eek:

Could you not get something like racelogic traction control to try and stick you to the road a little better ?

oooh. ... lol

sounds like fun.... 

Could you not get something like racelogic traction control to try and stick you to the road a little better ?

Jim's s******g himself now!

It'l help but in all honesty u HAVE to go autoX'ing or on trackdays to learn how to drive properly pal. As soon as i get some more basic stuff done to my car thats the first thing im gonna do.

Also about the 350 limit that is pretty high when u think about it m8, ur pumpin bout 260 rite now rnt ya? When u think how powerful that already is... :ph34r:

A nice 300bhp will be my goal. But that'l be w. the turbo and that power wont be my everyday running figure. It'l be what i can achieve with increased boost, so if i kepp that dwn i'll be ok. Or i could go with a nice MoTec system or similar and have a few different power profiles configured so if i do NEED to go fast i can... ;)

-Z

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I like the MKII looks way better and will go with the MKII as soon as I find a decent one.

I wouldn't think that 350bhp would be too much for this car. My TT Supra had well over 400 rwhp! and it was easily controllable. Granted it's 500 lbs heavier but still. What size wheels are you guys running? Can you fit 18's on the 2 or is a 17 the biggest you want to go? How wide are they as well?

Knowing the stock motor can handle up to 500 is a good sign. But is that 500 bhp or 500 rwhp?

The Mr2 is mid engines though .. any loss of traction is a killer round corners as it'll not drift ..

17's ar the best without ruining the feel too much, 18's do fit, but drive like sh*te ..

500bhp - Fly I'd have thought .. they are the same engine used in the GT4 rally cars .. so are fairly bombproof .. just seem to like eating electrics ..

I've got to agree with Bibbs on this one. The fact of the matter is that you;re looking at a relatively cheap sports car. Look at something like a Ferrari, which cost £100K + which can handle a lot more power, you're paying for something, and a lot of this is the development costs of the suspension etc. I saw a Nissan 300ZX recently with around 700bhp. It was absolutely hopeless......

On another note, I know they're technically rear engines, but look at all of the problems Porsche have had with their 911's - all can be very twitchy. They've just resolved the problem with the new GT3, its still taken them more than 20 years, and that's on a car that costs 40K +.

I would have 2 agree. Save the mad power figures for a drag car. if u want an amazing everyday driving experience (for relatively little money)

MK2 Baby! :thumbsup:

-Z

although i've never driven one, apparently a mk1 supercharged should be great fun on a track, and quite tuneable too. just get some bigger pulleys etc.

even an n/a mk1 can be fun

but as an owner of a mk2 tubby - i gotta say get one! :thumbsup:

As standard, Tubbies have just enough power for lots of fun..... And you can increase it quite a lot and it's still fun - win win I say.

with £100 you can get a boost valve, FCD and cheap boost guage ..

You are then looking at an extra 40 bhp ..

Awesome. I've gotta say this board is waaaaaay better than the other one I posted on. Toyota Nation I believe. I say this because of all of the informative responses I've already gotten here. I've yet to get one response over there and I posted there first. So big thanks to all. :thumbsup: I think pushing 500bhp would be plenty for me. The car won't be a daily driver as I have a nice G35 Coupe for that. So it's purely a fun track car that I want to build up myself. Benefits of having it as a second car. I saw an MR2 in SCC running in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge that's supposed to put down like 475rwhp! So I'm curious as to how he does with all those ponies. My purpose in badgering you all with questions is simply to learn. I know plenty about MKIV Supras and just about every car I've owned. And it's through asking informative people like yourselves that I learn.

Every car is different so I don't take that for granted. I know things that I would apply to my previous cars don't apply to others. I'm glad I asked here first cuz I really wouldn't have known anything about the MR2. I've never driven a midengine car.

So as soon as I get one in the near future look to seeing a lot of questions from me along the way. :D Thanks again.

Regardless of how much or how little power it has if your your a skilled enough driver you can control it etc

I have an article of a Japanese Gen III mr2 turbo set up for autocross.....only has around 320 hp but is ripping up and winning heaps...all because it's set up right. I'll try and scan it in for you and e-mail it if you want :) pm me.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

If ur getting the mk2 tubby then i suggest ya do a quick search on these boards for revisions and general stuff like "which one shall i get". In short tho u'll be looking at getting a revision 3 mk2 mr2 turbo - basically engines better in that model compared to earlier (or even later!) models.

Awesome. I've gotta say this board is waaaaaay better than the other one I posted on

awww, im beginning to blush :)

heh, dont mention it we're all a friendly bunch, heck some of us even spend all nite posting away almost irc fashion talkin bout stuff.

Well l8rz :bye:

-Z

Regardless of how much or how little power it has if your your a skilled enough driver you can control it etc

If ur getting the mk2 tubby then i suggest ya do a quick search on these boards for revisions and general stuff like "which one shall i get". In short tho u'll be looking at getting a revision 3 mk2 mr2 turbo - basically engines better in that model compared to earlier (or even later!) models.

Very true although it does get to a point of impossibility if the tires won't grab.

I'll do a search as well but what exactly is a rev3 MR2? Year, etc...? Why is the motor

better in this one?

I'll do a search as well but what exactly is a rev3 MR2? Year, etc...? Why is the motor

better in this one?

Octber 1993 upwards for the Gen III MR2's, a FEW reasons why it's better:

KEY differences:

- MAP sensor instead of AFM

- Bosch D-Jetronic (Gen III) vs. L-Jetronic (relatively primitive) engine management

- CT20b turbo replaces CT26

- Boost raised from 10psi to 13psi

- Fuel cut raised from 12 psi to 18 psi

- Different ECU

- 4 wire O2 sensor

- Shim under bucket valve shims

- slightly more aggressive cams

- Revised internals (pistons, con-rods etc.)

- Revised cylinder head cooling passages/water jackets

- Revised intake manifold (8 'independent long ports' reduced to 4)

- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added. i.e. after turbo and intercooler.

- Revised gearbox with close ratio gearing

- lower compression ratio

- stainless steel head gasket

- factory 540cc injectors replace 430cc injectors

- revised fuel rail with bigger bore and relocated pressure regulator

- TVIS eliminated

- EGR eliminated

- LSD in 80% of them

- throttle body increased from 55mm to 60mm

- inlet valve lift increased from 8.2 to 8.7

- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added

- Less restrictive exhaust elbow

- Aluminum oil pan

- more rigid alloy sump and additional oil baffles

- Factory Catch can

- Better Oil Cooler and relocated oil filter (bottom)

- 4 Channel ABS coupled with Traction Control available

- No. 1 compression ring described as 'stainless steel' instead of just 'steel'. Oil ring is described as 'stainless steel' instead of 'a combination of steel and stainless steel'.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...t=6915&hl=540cc

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well crap. That makes my search that much harder. I haven't seen too many 93+ for sale. Especially at a decent price. I'll have to look further away I guess. Oct 93!!! Isn't that pretty much an 04? I don't know if I'll be able to find one of those. At least I haven't seen any yet.

Well crap. That makes my search that much harder. I haven't seen too many 93+ for sale. Especially at a decent price. I'll have to look further away I guess. Oct 93!!! Isn't that pretty much an 04? I don't know if I'll be able to find one of those. At least I haven't seen any yet.

Yep but it's WELL worth it from a modifying point of view. Yeah pretty much 1994 upwards (mine is a december 93)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Noooo I just got a tempting offer that makes me have to think. I'm still thinking of the MR2 but I just a curve ball from a friend who's in need. He has a 93 hardtop Supra that needs a motor. I can probably get a clip for about $3-4k. The car would be the same price minus the clip. My only issue would be spending the money on a car that can't move yet. I also don't know how good of condition the rest of the car is in. But owning a 97 TT Supra before I know all too well the potential of the car.

This might be a dumb question but for $10k would you get a MR2 or Supra +clip? It'll cost me around 10-11K for the SUpra plus the clip. But I also have to put it together. :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links