Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Light

DavidSmart

;) Hiya everybody,

OK we all know the interior light is useless, but I never really noticed until the other night that there is no light in the hatchback iether. When I came to load some stuff into the back I couldnt see a thing .. . you almost expect a light to come on when you open the back door. Well it does come on .. . the silly little one in the front.

But I have a solution ! I was in ASDA the other day , and you can buy a Battery LED light ( see pics ) for £3 plus some batteries. It has got magnets in the back and a hook device, but there is no way you could stick it onto your headlining ... or is there. Velcro ! I had some self adhesive Velcro strips ( the hooks ) , so I stuck them on the back. Strangely enough they attach really well to the head lining, just push it on & give it a little twist to & fro - no worries. The results are pretty impressive - see pics.

I have one shot with the IQ light on & one with the Asda light on. Ok so you have to press the button to make it come on .. . . anybody know how we could wire it up to come on with the hatch opening... It is all just a bit of fun really. . . but I really did need a light in there , and it does the job !

Enjoy

post-73261-1238708091_thumb.jpg

post-73261-1238708130_thumb.jpg

post-73261-1238708175_thumb.jpg

post-73261-1238708217_thumb.jpg

post-73261-1238708253_thumb.jpg

Quite a few of our Aygo owners have already found this solution as the Aygo also has no boot light :)

I think that someone has wired up their Aygo with a tilt switch to put the light on when the hatch is raised.

DavidSmart and the interior light again. .. .

I decided I wanted a more permanent solution to the light in the hatchback problem instead of an AA Battery solution. So I bought a couple of LED lights from Halfords which I have fitted myself ( pictures to follow ). At the moment I just have them wired up to a cigarette lighter plug to see how well they illuminate the back, and they seem pretty good. Ideally, I would like them to come on, and react, in the same way as the pathetic eyeball style interior one, with the same switching options , on always, off always , on when the doors open. It struck me that I could do this by tapping in to the feed to the little eyeball light. But that looks a bit tricky 'cos there's some circuitry in there before the bulb. The feed to the eyeball is 1 black wire, 1 white, 1 black & white. I found I could make my lights come on with the doors by tapping into the black and the black & white. Two problems - if I used this I would have no way of just switching them on, like you can the eyeball ( I would have to open a door ), secondly, running wires up to the eyeball in the headlining is a bit tricky.

Anyway, I took a look at the technical manuals ( internet location referred to in other posts ) and , in there, you can find instructions for fitting 'interior lighting'. This consists of 2 tiny lights that sit in the footwells. But the strange thing is the 2 wires from each light run into a little connector box and out of the connector box comes 3 ( ! ) wires. The instruction tell you to tap these into part of the loom which runs up behind the panel on the leftside of the windscreen. You tap into a black wire, a white wire and a black & white wire - sounds to me like these go up to the eyeball.

So finally, sorry this is a bit technical isnt it ! ,does anyone have these footwell lights fitted ? How do they work - can you turn them on with the eyeball switch, do they just mirror what the eyeball does ? I just cant figure out why the 2 wires from the footwell lights end up as three wires from the connector .. any geniuses out there ?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

That looks like a smoke alarm stuck on your roof lining! Rather than any of that mucking about I just have my LED light I got from Halfrauds on keyring & lights better than anything if you really need to see that huge boot lol

Also careful you dont invalidate your warranty, you know how anal they can be with even the smallest things!

• 2 weeks later...

Me again, pictures as promised.

The only LED lights I could get from Halfords were blue or red - I went for the cool blue. Looks like fairy grotto. I wired them in as per the 'interior illumination' spec but without the white wire. This means that they come on when the eyeball light comes on, ie when I open any door. I cannot turn them on seperately though.

post-73261-1239985931_thumb.jpg

post-73261-1239985995_thumb.jpg

Very nice solution!

Looks like build in the factory.

So what is the space you have for this led-spot??

I live in Holland and not seen this lights by Hallfords in Holland.

Very nice solution!

Looks like build in the factory.

So what is the space you have for this led-spot??

I live in Holland and not seen this lights by Hallfords in Holland.

Hiya, try searching in google for 'Prism LED Single Spot Light Blue ' and you will find them. The picture is not very illustrative - they only show them as in my pictures , that is, mounted in position. In order to mount them I had to drill a ~1 inch hole in the plastic trim. There is a nut which secures them from the back,

My compliment DavidSmart, verry nice done. Wenn i got our IQ i'll try to do the same.

Indeed it looks like it was factory build!

Again greetings from the Netherlands,

Brian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links