Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Raising Petrol Prices..

Yarisboy

some good ideas bibbs, not practical though... certainly not until the DVLA sorts its act out anyway. Could be 20 years before you see a system like that in place, but I don't doubt it will happen at some point.

Someone else touched on road tax being spent on the roads.... just wanna put down some facts here...

the government already raise 40billion quid out of the driver each and every year.

they target the driver because he/she is easy pickings.

Now you think about it, how many roads do you know that are in REALLY good condition? I can only think of a couple near me, and they're the ones that were only built last year.

If the government reinvested even half of that 40billion a year back into the roads, we would have the greatest roads in europe!

Now think again why the government wants to abolish road tax, and the only logical answer is that raising petrol prices will ultimately bring in more revenue than raising road tax.

Everyone needs fuel, you quite evidently don't need a tax disc.

Which brings me to believe that Britain has serious debts due to the iraq war and other operations, they are short of cash and the driver is helping to pay a large percent towards bailing us out.

Government should be careful however, last time they tried to raise fuel costs the country was brought to a standstill by the petrol strikes.

People will only tolerate so much tax before there are riots.

I read up at the top there about someone not minding paying £1 per litre?????? that's insane! Any Americans reading this would laugh their <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s off if someone suggested they had to pay $1 per litre of fuel.

Petrol is taxed too much as it is, raising it further is certainly not going to fool me into thinking i've got a good deal because they've scrapped the £100 roadtax i have to pay every year.

Just my opinion.

I'd happily pay £1 a litre .. (Optimax is getting damn close anyhow)

IF, AND ONLY IF ..

1. the M4 was a nice bit of road to drive on, not the potholed/rutted slab of 2nd hand "tarmac yourdrive mister" concrete ..

2. all the old farts and mothers dropping their kids of are gotten off the roads.

3. motorway limits are upped to 90, and police turn a blind eye up to 110 ..

4. all speed cameras are binned - apart from the ones near schools .. and then they are only active from 7am till 5pm ..

Its a crap idea, its so unbelieveably lazy of the government

Consider this

I got myself a job as I did not want to just go through uni and be a drain on the parents and the governement. so as well as doing a job I am also doing a degree, Im not talking about a Mc'ds job here, I am a full time surveyor, I average a working day of 8.5-9 hours a day this job is the same disclipline I am training in so thats good. I pay all my tuition fees the govenrment pays sod all, but taxes the ***** out of my wages, so what your thinking.

This job and the degree are miles from the sticks were I live, work is 35 miles away, uni 67 miles away, I visit work 4-5 days a week and uni one day a week, I pay stupid insurance, I pay road tax, I pay tax on 'lots' of petrol I use. Yeah the government makes a lot of money from me!! and I hate it

Now I am looking for a house with my long term/suffering girlriend, does the government help us, does it <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s. We are priced right out of the market and entitled to nothing. It stinks, I have never commited a crime in life, but I am targetted like bank robber, the government is taing this country to the dogs, I am only 21 (v.v. nearly 22) and I can &#33;Removed&#33; see it, and i aint that long in the tooth. To tax petrol instead of road tax is ridiculous as people like me loose out, I aint looking for simpathy It just anoys me how the governement cant see that everyone is different and it cant see past the &#33;Removed&#33; ££££ signs.

Ohhhhh, I could crush a grape now....

abolish road tax AND reduce petrol prices. :thumbsup:

we're already gettin robbed far more than the rest of europe!

put a hefty tax (like a swear box) every time an M.P lies. that would raise some serious cash!

Should all be on a swipe card for the car
That would be a pain to lose though wouldn't it. At least all my documents are usually tucked up nice and safe. If I need them I'll go home and get them.

Seeing as Petrol would include road tax, would that mean my Lawn Mower would be taxed? I guess this is one of the flaws with the idea, after all, not all petrol users are road users.

Ultimately the real answer to any of this is to buy a diesel and use vegetable oil instead of diesel. Apparently as long as you pay duty on the oil you burn there is no legal reason not to use it, and it's supposed to smell like frying time at the chippie instead of nasty smokey diesel.

abolish road tax AND reduce petrol prices. :thumbsup:

put a hefty tax (like a swear box) every time an M.P lies. that would raise some serious cash!

Hear hear, arnt we robbed enough.

Income tax/National Ins - Disgusting at 24.5% (41% :o at £35,000ish)

Council Tax - Disgusting

Fuel Tax - Say no more

Road Tax - thats a laugh, my car is being methodically ruined because the roads in Hants have not been touched for 20 years.

TV Licence - :o can someone explain why we have to pay for the ****ing crap the BBC puts out. Trouble is the British Political psyche is GREEDY. I think it's a case of 'Right, we're in power now, lets cream off as much cash for ourselves before we get hoofed out of power'

T'will never change, it's the British way. When such a small country loses it's grip on such a massive empire, the taxes go through the roof!! Nuff said, sorry everyone. I been in a soapbox mood for a coupla days now. :D

abolish road tax AND reduce petrol prices.  :thumbsup:

Hear hear, arnt we robbed enough.

Income tax/National Ins - Disgusting at 24.5% (41% :o at £35,000ish)

Council Tax - Disgusting

Fuel Tax - Say no more

Road Tax - thats a laugh, my car is being methodically ruined because the roads in Hants have not been touched for 20 years.

TV Licence - :o can someone explain why we have to pay for the ****ing crap the BBC puts out. Trouble is the British Political psyche is GREEDY. I think it's a case of 'Right, we're in power now, lets cream off as much cash for ourselves before we get hoofed out of power'

T'will never change, it's the British way. When such a small country loses it's grip on such a massive empire, the taxes go through the roof!! Nuff said, sorry everyone. I been in a soapbox mood for a coupla days now. :D

i totally agree!

power to the people, down with the system,...yehaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol::thumbsup:

I could be wrong but in australia there are no motor insurance companies, just one government 1 that insures every one. And you pay for it in the price of a litre of petrol, mint. Although id still be skint!!!!!! ah well

In Oz .. isn't it 3rd party is "Free" but you can insure your car via others for fully comp ..

Yea well too boot those utter co :censor: ks the Blair mafia have now put up tuition fees. Corrupt tossers. Youd think theyd make enough money off the little wars they arrange with that smelly Bush boy. :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :arrgg-matey: :arrgg-matey: :wacko: :cacker: :cacker: :crybaby:

No one has mentioned the disabled drivers who get their tax disc paid for by the goverment, “and theirs a lot of them on the road” if the government intend to do away with the tax disc and add x amounts onto the fuel then I guess we will all have to pay something within the fuels extra cost to accommodate the disabled drivers, I am sure these disabled drivers would react with some anger at loosing the free road tax and paying more for their fuel without some recessions.

Regarding uninsured vehicles on our roads I personally would like to see some sort of scheme where the vehicles number plate was the issue of insurance, stuck right where we the law abiding driver can clearly see it plus the law can pull them on the spot if the insurance could be clearly be seen on the number plate, Its just an idea no insurance no plate issued by the dvla.

Maybe you guys out there could come up with more ideas to add to the above, we do really need a foolproof system to stop our insurance premiums rising each year due to the insurance and road tax dodgers. I just heard on the news that we should all expect to be paying an extra £60 insurance this year due to dodgers. :ffs:

Regarding uninsured vehicles on our roads I personally would like to see some sort of scheme where the vehicles number plate was the issue of insurance, stuck right where we the law abiding driver can clearly see it plus the law can pull them on the spot if the insurance could be clearly be seen on the number plate, Its just an idea no insurance no plate issued by the dvla.

Kinda like the Taxi plate ?! That's a damn good idea ..

TV Licence -  can someone explain why we have to pay for the ****ing crap the BBC puts out.

Why don't they put adverts on these channels 2 so we don't need a TV licence at all? (if thats how it works)

I'm liking that idea 2!!!

hi lads jus a wee comment on this.

further up it was mentioned bout insurance and punishin those that dont pay it. as far as im aware we who do pay ours, in and around £60 on our premium is to go to those who havent bothered.

petrol prices at the minute are a disgrace where i live its 80p a litre, ok i only drive a 1.3 not that hard on gogo juice , but if they were to put up prices again and do away wif car tax thats a very big money makin operation they got there :fear: i think tax for me is bout £120 or near that there is no way that by jus puttin up petrol prices that i would be savin anythin by not havin to pay for tax :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links