Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Got Dastek?

pizza boy

Am getting the Dastek installed. Found out that the actual Dastek distributor in the UK is non other than StormEngineering. They have changed their name to Dastek UK and have the full facilities for rollin road tune up and have done shedloads of mr2 tubbys. Apparently the tubby is one of the most responsive cars to the Dastek. Well im off to Fife and have a few dates which I can book. Jimlad if your out there read ur pm if you wanna hop along to Fife an check it out :thumbsup:

I tried to find storm engineering a while back but with no luck... glad you did !!

I'm up for it mate.... have no pm tho.. just checked.

Dalgetty bay.... not far from me !!

A quick question, my boost level is currently set to 15PSI by the Superchip i have installed... will the dasktek also be able to do this ? Or will I need another type of boost controller ??

Also.. how much does it cost including tuning etc ??

Oops I was eatin took my time on the pm didnt know youd be on so soon! you got pm now.

Yea they can preset your boost to any(safe) level you want AND unlike your current chip custom map it all the way up your rev range. 550 inc VAT but youll get a 10% discount since if ur a MR2dc memebr. Maybe its the case with gold members too.

Oops I was eatin took my time on the pm didnt know youd be on so soon! you got pm now.

Yea they can preset your boost to any(safe) level you want AND unlike your current chip custom map it all the way up your rev range. 550 inc VAT but youll get a 10% discount since if ur a MR2dc memebr. Maybe its the case with gold members too.

Sweet !?!?!?!!!

Just read it can control boost level etc.

What happens if I want to up the boos tin the future ? Need to get it remapped ?

Also noticed it can do launch control etc ! How do you go about that ?

Can it be used to replace the AFM ( if that makes sense ) like this thing >

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/about.html

If so... I can get a bov ?? .... lol :D

Gonna phone MR Dastek tomorrow and see what he says regarding boost etc...

I sent him an email and he sent me this reply.

My email -

Hi there,

I have a freind who has been in touch with you about his MR2 Turbo. I also have the same car and we're both coming to you sometime in Feb to get a unichip installed. ( he is phoning you before 6pm to confirm the date ).

My question is this..

I currently have a ABC superchip installed which has the boost level set to 15PSI. Can the Unichip also set the boost level, or will I need some sort of boost controller ??

thanks

Reply -

Hi James,

We would ditch your ABC board (as this takes the safety feature out completely, we only raise the overboost point) & the Unichip will then take care of the boost, timing & fuel.

I've taken the liberty of pasting in a semi-standard response, which may help you to learn more about the Unichip & it's lesser known functions.

If you drop me your address details, I can stick a brochure in the post for further reading.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to call on 0845 345 4045, or drop me an email.

Best regards,

Gerry Gaffney

See.. so I'm not sure... will I need something to control the boost level ??

god damn... didn't read this post properly before I started going on about boost limits etc... lol.

DOH !

I've taken the liberty of pasting in a semi-standard response, which may help you to learn more about the Unichip & it's lesser known functions.

What other info did he give? The launch control is about 200 quid inc VAT and fitting. It will sound well funny hearing your turbo spool up before you actually accelerate hehe. The chip also has a FCD function built in. According to mr dastek the ABC chip removes this feature altogether :ph34r: . Cant wait tho...i smell 290bhp with 280 lb/ft and a smelly fried clutch..hell yea!

As you are probably already aware the Unichip is a piggy back computer, that works in harmony with your standard ECU, it is mapped specifically to your car, and allows the operator to program it exactly to suit the thousands of differences from one car to next, that pre-programmed chips can't take into account, such as cam timing, manufacturing tolerances, different fuel qualities and pressures, and any aftermarket components. Therefore we don't really go in for saying what power increase you will get, instead what we do promise is that at full throttle you will have the maximum power available safely, and at part throttle the car will be as economical as possible. At the end of the day, all any chip or engine management system is doing is to provide the correct amount of fuel in relationship to the amount of air being consumed, and ignite it at the correct time, so provided that they are equally accurate, they should all come out with the same result, providing they are mapped to the individual engine in question by a competent tuner on an accurate dyno. This is where the Unichip wins, as they are not for sale pre-programmed, but mapped to each car by a skilled tuner on a dynamometer, we don't supply Unichips to anyone who doesn't own their own dyno. If at any time in the future, any changes are made i.e. cams, headwork etc. simply pop back into any authorised Unichip dealer, where the Unichip can be remapped to suit.

The Unichip offers more than just timing and fuel adjustments, we can do more than most sub £1000 race ecu's (this is ECU only, not including mapping costs!), such as launch control, shift lights, variable cam control, full throttle gear changes, nitrous control, ignition correction when nitrous is activated, etc..

The UNICHIP can be used for the following functions:

Alter ignition timing in a 3D map down to 0.1degree resolution.

Alter fuel mixture in a 3D map by +-50%.

Control variable valve timing.

Control variable induction systems.

Control turbo wastegate solenoid systems.

Record maximum boost pressure.

Record maximum RPM.

Water injection control.

Nitrous oxide control.

Automatic secondary map when water or nitrous is active.

Automatic switch back to primary map when water or nitrous is low or de-activated

Road speed governor delimiting.

Calibration of electronic speedometers.

Conversion of electronic speedometers from KMH to MPH.

Drive additional fuel injectors, with variable blend control.

Launch control.

Full throttle gear changes.

Idle speed stabilization.

Conversion to individual throttle bodies on certain cars.

Conversion of mechanical injection systems to full 3D fuel & ignition control.

Conversion from flap type Air Flow meters to less restrictive Hot Film meters.

Multiple maps to suit different fuels.

Shift lights

Alter or implement rev limits

Alter or implement boost limits

Well..... I'll get booked in the same day.. hopefully lol ... :) I thought you had actually got us both booked in ... DOH !! :huh:

Unichip ..... :drool:

the only problem is that you can only adjust reading (with a +/- 50%) .. a new ECU like a Motec, it's from scratch .. not needing the stock ECU.

But it does the job for the price. Cant be ubikd spending 1k on motoec atm. Dastek is perfect for my needs and more for the next couple o years. Full throttle shifting....hmmm I have done this to many a hire car (the old never leave accel whislt changin at max rpm lol great fun) but is this really advisable? Sounds like fun.

booked in for the 27th also .. :)

Looks like unichip will do everything I need it to... if I ever get bigger injectors etc.. it can also control these.. :)

I'm just more interested in the BOV... lol

It's more that adequate for 99% of people .. I'm just pointing out the limitations ..

Hence the reason I *may* go down this route ..

It's more that adequate for 99% of people .. I'm just pointing out the limitations ..

Hence the reason I *may* go down this route ..

pitty you didn't stay up here.. you could have joined us at the same time.

Hmmm, I'm gonna wait and see what effect this will have on my insurance premium. Would love to fit one, but not if it's going to put the insurance cost up too much.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links