Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wont Select Gear

MR.2

hi all new on here!

i have just purchased a mr2 gti16 and i cant seem to select a gear the gear box feels all over the place and wont engage a gear propally.

the fella that had the car before me said that it started crunching into gear then stoppped working all together.

any advice would be great!

thanks

lee

anyone know what is causing the problem!

lee

Start by checking out furst the clutch hydraulic system - if it can't disengage you'll never be able to select any gear

Is the problem when the engine is running? Or can you not select gears at all? If the former the advice above is correct. Even with problems with the hydraulics you should be able to select with the engine off. If you can't select at all then it is possible that the gear selector cables need attention. At the gearbox end there is a rubber bush which can fail or wear to excess. See this link for a cheap fix.

http://mr2wiki.com/AllModels/ShiftBearings

The skateboard bearings shown are slightly diferent to those available in the UK but you can get the idea. Either way if you jack the rear of the car up you can select the gears by push/pulling the mechanism at the gear box end. then you will be able to establish where the fault lies.

hi all new on here!

i have just purchased a mr2 gti16 and i cant seem to select a gear the gear box feels all over the place and wont engage a gear propally.

the fella that had the car before me said that it started crunching into gear then stoppped working all together.

any advice would be great!

thanks

lee

check gearbox linkages, and check the clutch, why buy a car that wont go into gear????????

I agree, if someone told me 'crunching into gear'... just doesnt sound too good...

Must admit I've been having some difficulty trying to fit a short shifter into my number 1 RAV...admittedly its a 3SGTE engine from a MR2, ...but uses the RAV gearbox. The new frame for the shift mechanism (ie the bit that holds the gear lever) is very slightly different and I found that it was enough to stop me finding reverse and 5th gear.

It might be that the shift cables on yours need attention or have become dislocated in the gearbox shift mech. As said above, if you can shift gears with engine off then it starts to help focus on what it could be. The way I was trying with my new shift was leaving engine off then finding a gear; start engine with clutch down and then let up slowly to guess which gear it was in. The problems I was having was with the cable that does the gear selection. The shift control cable was fine....

good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links