Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gonna Fit An Alarm

CraigT

Okay Im gonna buy an alarm for the car in the next few weeks but Im not sure where to start.

Ive heard that having certain alarms can bring down the cost of your car insurance?

Whats the work involved in getting a decent alarm fitted, and what kind of cost are we talking about?

I want to get one that has a remote for unlocking/locking the door so I dont have to use the key.

PS: Is it possible to buy a door unlocking/locking remote on its own that goes on your keys? If so can you give me any links to these?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Actually forget the car alarm bit for now.

Im gonna get just the remote locking kit for now. Had a quick look around the net and found this one http://dcp-shop.co.uk/catalog/product_info...products_id=827

Does this one seem any good? know of any links to better/cheaper ones?

Finally, will this work with the central locking on an MR2 (one of the reviews on the site said they fitted it to a '96 Corolla). Is it gonna be rock hard? I mean, where does it all hook up to etc. I dont really want to start ripping the dash off if I can help it :blink:

If anyone else can help out here that would be pretty cool. This little gadget seems sweet, and i'd want one for exactly the same reasons that snake does.

-Z

If anyone else can help out here that would be pretty cool. This little gadget seems sweet, and i'd want one for exactly the same reasons that snake does.

-Z

Yeah I think it would be a cool little addition to the car. Thing is, if I have to start cropping wires etc then I may change my mind. On the other hand, if its easy then Im gonna buy it.

My other car is a Clio 1.6 16v and I never used the keylock once since I bought it due to it having a nice remote locking system B)

Crumbs, I'm amazed you get insurance at all without an alarm! To effectively bring down insurance, you need a Thatcham Catagory 1.Sigma and CObra are two good makes. Alarms cost around £150 - £300.

Dorset still don't require an alarm .. but every where else does .. even got told I'd need to fit a tracker by Tesco ..

A tracker?? That's crazy, the car isn't worth enough. On a New Range Rover or Ferrari, I can understand, but not on a MR2!!! Madness - think they're trying to tell us something.....

No way!

The car has little stickers on the window saying that its fitted with a toyota anti theft device, whatever that may be :unsure:

I have my insurance with Tesco and they never mentioned it :o

A tracker?? That's crazy, the car isn't worth enough. On a New Range Rover or Ferrari, I can understand, but not on a MR2!!! Madness - think they're trying to tell us something.....

Import and having a full bodykit ..

The car has little stickers on the window saying that its fitted with a toyota anti theft device, whatever that may be 

I have my insurance with Tesco and they never mentioned it 

EXACTLY the same thing here m8.

I wouldnt mind shelling out for a fancy alarm, but installs can be quite deadly (on the wallet).

I know a guy that works for uni car that can fit a Cobra alarm, inc, central + remote locking for £190, is that a good deal u think?

-Z

Well Id imagine that Toyota's anti theft system is a bit pants. Then again, saying that I know nothing about it.

Zeroblade, Ive ordered the remote locking from the link above. If you add an alarm later on this can be incorporated into it.

£49.99 is not far off the price of a PS2 or XBOX game so what the hell B)

£190 is an excellent price, it amazes me how much these things have gone down. When I had my Sigma fitted six years ago it cost me nearly £500!!

£49.99 is not far off the price of a PS2 or XBOX game so what the hell

Lol,[Üç8+FPäâí·)afÞûf”Š®¹ÛĈ…[˜²7èÞÒtñEP÷ÂÔSv‰é5lµ¹üä›ÃÓm„R¦¢z?<Z‡ª‰äZý­uó—ß%ªÚ­~Hç*7¦£ö½œ¿ÓQ~,éê"غl™¥s4sËeæá:+IÚµ"†o—Ñß³àªó_Ùë|¦ð­`•¡Î·s­È‹4T^IÉ°š]¡‚q©uÙyMÈ÷":3

”¦SÜ<û}åÝúÙIw »Ôò‘oH˜„£S{ü¥=

­voPN’i¾ßlån•#¼@êè ݱñÙk- ËÙðöo£œX+I?õ…[}áÏÑÏé¹Ëpæ^X§%á«ÉØ2Þ»uJ•PÄ'ëQ?¥Ëyøq¨W/JƒÉWÏ-Jz5û[¶©JþìJº9Îî9µ¯÷'l¶.~±<±E ú†TKkfÙ÷o\ŽS¿¨…ÏVñ‘ϸ3«S†KÛ

EDIT:

ignore this post, it ended up double posting again, with the 1st one being ghay... (and yes i do spell it like that intentionally, dunno why :unsure: )

hehe

Edited by ZeroBlade

Lol, bin a while since paid that much. Then again, i pay more than that for a game that i actually like (yes guys, i do pay silly prices for imports!)

I dont mind paying that to tell the truth, but i h8 paying for install / fitting of stuff. So if u can give some feedback on it when u've got it sorted m8, that would help loads.

thnx bud :thumbsup:

-Z

Lol, bin a while since paid that much. Then again, i pay more than that for a game that i actually like (yes guys, i do pay silly prices for imports!)

I dont mind paying that to tell the truth, but i h8 paying for install / fitting of stuff. So if u can give some feedback on it when u've got it sorted m8, that would help loads.

thnx bud :thumbsup:

-Z

Hehe yeah Ive paid some mad prices for import games in the past but thats a story for another forum :D

Anyway, I'll give this remote locking kit a shot. If I can fit it, I swear, anyone can. If its $hit I'll tell you to save your cash mate.

If it installs nice and easy though I can see it being pretty cool B)

that's be sweet m8, i'm not too handy with installing stuff myself.

I can get there in the end, and if asked to do it again i'd prolly be able to do it no problem, but its gettin it done the first time...

I really do miss remote locking/unlocking :(

-Z

I've only paid for one .. and it came free .. I'm a bit of a software :arrgg-matey:

haha, that rmeinds me i've still gotta compile a list for u m8. i WILL get it done, just not rite now cos i'm a lazy sod! :)

and foods cooked for me (god i love coming to my parents house and havin some1 cook for me :D)

-Z

take a look at this link.

alarm

its been mentioned here a few times over the last few months, and ive even added this to my favourites.

looks awesome and stupidly cheap! :thumbsup:

they are good .. was speaking to a US company about their "Aladin" alarms that are identical ..

But no thatcham approval .. :crybaby:

take a look at this link.

alarm

its been mentioned here a few times over the last few months, and ive even added this to my favourites.

looks awesome and stupidly cheap! :thumbsup:

Thats one bad and invincible alarm system!

that's be sweet m8, i'm not too handy with installing stuff myself.

I can get there in the end, and if asked to do it again i'd prolly be able to do it no problem, but its gettin it done the first time...

I really do miss remote locking/unlocking :(

-Z

ZeroBlade M8, it didnt come in the post today however the money has come out of my bank account so Im hoping it will come tomorrow. really hope its not pants <_<

Still waiting on my induction kit too grrrrrrr!

no worries fella. the bad weather was prolly the cause of it l8ness.

:thumbsup:

also...

£190 is an excellent price, it amazes me how much these things have gone down. When I had my Sigma fitted six years ago it cost me nearly £500!!

cheers for that dame, i somehow missed seeing ur reply, and only just noticed. I'll prolly take the guy on the offer, tho i wonder if its thatcham approved etc. cos if not theres not much point to that as the standard alarm seems pretty good.

-Z

Okay it came back this morning, little box, nice little keyfob, tiny instructions. "I cant lose" I thought to myself...........then I saw the little receiver with 10 (yes thats 10 folks) cables that you have to wire into your car before the little fob will make your doors go click click :blink:

I really dont think I can tackle it to be honest for fear of &#33;Removed&#33; up my cars electrics :(

So...............where can I take this to have it fitted for me? Anyone got any suggestions?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links