Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost Yaris Smart Key

Rokki21

Firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post :D

I've been looking through everyones posts since I bought my Yaris about 4 weeks ago. It's a 1.8 SR and I have to say I love it.

I wanted to add this post if someone ever has the same problem as me. I've been looking through the internet for days trying to find an answer but couldn't but hope someone my find this useful one day.

Stupidly while under the heavy influence of beer I came home but left my keys in the front door with my smart key on the keyring. The keys have gone and unluckily have ended up in the hands of theives. I know this as my back yard gate was open when I came home from work yesterday. Thankfully I dont keep my back door key on their and they didn't try to go in through the front door.

Worried about my Yaris I spoke to my local dealer who said if I needed to change the code on my key I would need a brand new ECU and other bits and bob. I was quoted £1200. I was gutted. I spoke to a few auto locksmiths who have all the technical stuff. Most said as it was very new (it's an 08) they couldn't do anything but one said he thought the dealership was spinning me a line. I phoned back the dealer and again they said the ECU must be replaced.

I saw on a Prius website in Austrialia that keys could be reset. So I spoke to the technical department which I think was in the UK head office. They confirmed this could be done. When I buy a new spare key the box they plug into the system will wipe all keys off and then only add those which are in my possession. This would then make the stolen key redundant.

The theif would still have access to the emergency lock but I've checked this out and the alarm would go off without the transonder in range. If I was to replace the lock as well it would cost £551. The dealer said to replace the one lock would take 3.5 hours, again a bit of a line me thinks!

My insurance would only pay up to £350 but with increasig premiums over the 5 years I would have to report I think it wouldn't be worth claiming so I've choose to go for the spare key and reprogramming only. This will cost just over £200 (still an expensive hangover though!!!!!)

I hope someone will find this useful in the future and not get conned into an ECU replacement.

My question would be because the theif could still get access, assuming he has the brain to work out their is a key in the fob (I didn't until I went through the owners manual) could anyone suggest someways to block the lock. It would have to be blocked in a way that it would take a while to remove but not permanent in case I need to use it and would not cause damage which would affect the resale value as I have bought it on PCP.

Cheers

Rokki

• 1 year later...

hi,

It is possible, if you can remove your ECU yourself to change the ECU to virgin status. Which means you can add keys yourself.

I can do this procedure myself, but obviously need the ECU to do this. I don't how ever need to be at the vehicle.

If any one is interested then contact me.

Thank you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links