Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Test Drove A 93

TRDGT

Not a rev 3 unfortunately :( I'm pretty much on a no with this one. I think the turbo is shot in the car. The car was filthy and interior was not so good. Not normally a big deal but I felt no power from the turbo. There was no kick in like turbos normally give. It felt much slower than my G35C which shouldn't be the case since they are practically identical in #'s. Not to mention it's turbocharged which usually gives the sensation of more power. I checked the motor out and there didn't appear to be any leaks around the valve cover or anywhere else that I could spot. The shifter felt very sloppy but that could be my G35's fairly firm shifter making it feel that way. The shocks felt shot and bouncy.

I've seen this number somewhere before but forgot what it referred to. At first I thought maybe it was the engine model but found out later it wasn't. SW20????? There's more to it that I forgot. For some reason I remember there being an SW26 or something like that. Not sure. It's probably nothing. Anyway my search continues. If anyone knows of anyone selling a nice rev 2 or 3 MKII Turbo let me know. :D

I've seen this number somewhere before but forgot what it referred to. At first I thought maybe it was the engine model but found out later it wasn't. SW20????? There's more to it that I forgot. For some reason I remember there being an SW26 or something like that. Not sure. It's probably nothing.

SW20 is the chassis code for the 1989-1999 MR2's, AW11 is the square ones in the mid-late 80's.

Sounds like you found a dog :( Don't let it put you off!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Definately, don't let one dog put you off. In fact, see the positive side, you now have a clear idea of exactly the sort of car you do not want. They are some pristine ones around. I bought mine five years ago, it was and still is in excellent condition, the only problem is that being red, it has a tendancy to go pink (nothing that a respray won't sort out :) - I've sprayed half of it myself already ). You should see a few anyway. Never buy the first one you see unless it's a cracker.

could it not have been a case of the car was just started and very cold ? Hence sluggish acceleration and pissy turbo psi ??

Well I would expect him to drive it around enough so it warms up. But yes in principal I agree, it may only be boosting at 7PSI due to the cold weather - anything below 5 degrees as we know knocks on the safe mode (btw Rev 1+2 are far more restrictive than Rev 3 onwards with regards to this). Even with the car in this state, the turbo should feel pretty brisk, just not as insane as usual.....

How far did the boost gauge move - 2/3rds is consistent with 7psi.

Boost guage went all the way up. I was watching that. It was hot outside and he drove it to meet me so it was warmed up enough. Basically when I stepped on it it felt like a NA car moving off. There was no delay and no power surge like I was expecting. It really didn't feel that fast to me. It should at least feel as fast as my G35 if not faster cuz it's lower to the ground and turbo charged. The shifter was very sloppy and the clutch felt bad. It also was a turtle pulling out of 1st gear. I'm pretty sure it was a dog. I'll test drive some more and know for sure if they all feel that way or if it in fact was a dog.

I think the key is to drive a few before you can get an idea of what to expect.

Or better still, drive someones who you know has looked after it, then you know what to expect from a good one.

It's what I did, and out of the three I test drove: this one stood out head and shoulders above. Maybe because it's a 174bhp instead of the rev 1/2.

Definately sounds like a dog, they should have no trouble pulling in 1st - and it will fell very fast - I managed to keep upo with a 911 turbo the other day, and he was giving it some!!! That''s the kind of power you should be expecting!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links