Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poll: Spending Cash On An Old Car

Bizarra

Keep my old car or buy a new car.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What to do ? Keep my old good car, or buy something else ?

• Keep the old car
    • Buy a new car

My Rolla Executive 1.6 GL is 18 years old & flies through our equivalent of MOT every time. Last time there was a simple problem with rust in sills. I had to get it welded & bring back, unpainted , for a visual. Apart from that the Examiner has congratulated me on her twice :D

I bought her on e-bay about 5 years ago for £400 which converted to Euro + taxes meant that she cost me about Euro 700.

I got a dink in the door a few weeks ago (car park) & 1st in 18 years :censor: I am considering getting that professionally removed, the Sunroof either removed & thoroughly rubbed down & resprayed, & an overall respray because a few spots of cancer are appearing. Off the top of my head the cost will be Euro 2000 - 2500.

I think she is worth preserving, as they are becoming much more scarce. When I bought, there were always 2 or 3 on e-bay. Not any more.

I would probably not get a buyer for her, so I would have her hanging around as I couldn't bear to scrap her :( I could then spend that amount on another car instead. I do fancy the Seras, but I mightn't be as lucky the 2nd time around.

What to do ? Keep my old good car, or buy something else ? :unsure::unsure:

If you still like the car and it is reliable I say spend some money on it along with a little TLC and keep on enjoying it :)

If you spend some of your time and get under the car to preserve the box sections against rust, this can still be done despite the age of the car, then I reckon this would stand you in good stead for the future and maybe preserve the value of the car :yes:

Go on go for it as you have the making of a nice little classic car there :thumbsup:

If you still like the car and it is reliable I say spend some money on it along with a little TLC and keep on enjoying it :)

If you spend some of your time and get under the car to preserve the box sections against rust, this can still be done despite the age of the car, then I reckon this would stand you in good stead for the future and maybe preserve the value of the car :yes:

Go on go for it as you have the making of a nice little classic car there :thumbsup:

Thanks, Steve :thumbsup: That is in line with my thoughts. Sorry I made a bags of the Poll & ended up triple posting in my attempt to rectify it. Hopefully one of the Mods will be able to sort it for me :unsure:

....Sorry I made a bags of the Poll & ended up triple posting in my attempt to rectify it. Hopefully one of the Mods will be able to sort it for me :unsure:

I can't get the poll thing working on here either.... I have tried and bogged it up :rolleyes::lol:

Keep the car that you know and love Victor :thumbsup:

Whatever you do, don't buy a Merc ;)

:P :lol:

Whatever you do, don't buy a Merc ;)

:P :lol:

Don't worry - no chance :lol: They are not in my top 10, though I can understand Steve's wish to have one :driving:

The vote & opinions are confirming what I want to do, really. :D

After spending pump loads on my MR2 after owning it for so long. You know the car, if you like it then keep it!

Keep it...

There is something very satisfying about keeping an old car going. My old supra was (and still is!) 21 years old, and bar a few paint marks was immaculate and probably more mechanicly sound then some cars a couple of years old.

Older cars also tend to have more chracter and are certainly built to a much higher standard!

I think you'd spend a load of cash and feel slightly disapointed with a new car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links