Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A 3200 Mile Report

SimeonB

Interesting reading many of the posts about people's teething problems with their new iQs. I picked up an ex-demonstrator from Eden Bridge Toyota in Letchworth and thought I'd post a few observations about how a high miler (in relative terms) is running. I have had the iQ for about a week and have covered around 100 miles...

Firstly, the gear changes - particularly 1st to 2nd. I don't have any of the issues others have posted about not engaging, but it is notchy. So is 2nd to 3rd. It may be that as the gearbox gets more used, the faults will get better, or it may be it only affects certain cars, I don't know. I don't think the gearbox is great quality, but I have come from an auto and have only driven fairly large and powerful manuals for a few years before then (Impreza, Audi S4) so I am probably not best placed to pass judgement on a 1 litre small car gearbox. Let's just say I seem to hit every gear - most of the time...

The scratches. Hadn't noticed them in the interior until I read the thread, but because of the life mine has lead, it is pretty marked. Notably around the door shuts and by the rear seats. Looks like the rear seat ones are where car seats have been fitted. I am going to try the 303 interior spray that Goldfish11 recommends and see what happens. Hopefully it will protect the rest of the interior, and maybe remove some of the smaller marks. It is annoying, but I'm not loosing sleep over it. I don't really notice them. I intend to keep the car for a while, and by the time I sell it, it probably won't make a big different to the resale price. However, I understand the frustration others have and will certainly add my voice to the complaints to Toyota.

I cleaned it yesterday and noticed some stone chips already. Will have to get some touch up paint, but looking closely the damage does seem to have gone through to the metal. That is quite disappointing. In other cars, stones have taken the surface paint off but leave the undercoat intact, but these two chips are quite bad. May have been the nature of the stone chips, rather than dodgy paint quality, but I'm going to get some dabs of paint on them sooner rather than later.

I can't sing enough praises about the rear storage box tucked behind the back seats. I didn't find it for a couple of days! I have shoved an umbrella, a scraper, some bags, a cloth, a bottle of water and there is still room for a bit more. Really great for tucking those sorts of things away and not have them floating around the car. Mine also came with the glove bag and a tonneau boot cover (may be standard, I don't know). I thought the glove bag was a bit naff at first, but it is actually very useful. The latter will probably stay in it's bag forever in my spare bedroom! I did initially think there wouldn't be enough storage, but I have managed to fit everything in I need. Mind you, would struggle without the glove bag - I'd recommend trying to buy one if you don't have one.

The mpg indicator is pants. Limited to 60mpg (what was they thinking?) must grossly distort the average mpg reading. Not sure by how much, I shall do a good old manual check of miles covered divided by gallons filled up when I stop next for petrol. That really is shoddy. I had an old Corolla T Spirit before the iQ and it didn't suffer from this issue.

On the whole, so far so good. I had an expectation that it would do me for popping down to the station or the shops. However, I did a 65 miler yesterday and left the car comfortable and feeling good. I have been in more expensive automatics which didn't leave me feeling as fresh. So yeah, pretty pleased.

Happy for others to post issues and see if they are on my "high miler". Maybe they have gone away or got worse. Does anyone else own an iQ that has covered more miles?

Ive done just under 2700 miles in mine. Took it on a couple of long journeys, actually just got back from a 150 mile round trip tonight! Its fab on long journeys, motorway speeds is fine and it takes it all in its stride

I found a stone chip a few weeks after I picked mine up, and like yours, mine had gone to the metal which was a shame. Its on the front offside corner and I notice it all the time! Also got a tiny one of the bonnet which again has gone down to metal but not as noticeable, only noticed it while i was detailing the car yesterday

My interior still has no scratches....so cant comment on that!!

Also my gearbox is not as notchy anymore...not sure if im just used to it or it has actually gone away! Maybe i got a firmer hand with it, i dunno! But its fine to me now..

Sally

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links