Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Cameras And Ooops

chatman

Does having a CD or DVD dangling from your rear view mirror work, or is it just an urban myth ?

I also heard , long ago, that having balls of tinfoil inside your wheel caps drove the machines wild :unsure:

Not that I EVER (intentionally) break the Limit :driving::angel:

But I thought your car was made of tinfoil and string :rolleyes:

No :D You are getting confused again :blink: Yours is the Aygo. Mine is a Rolla :bangin: :lol2:

Does having a CD or DVD dangling from your rear view mirror work, or is it just an urban myth ?

I also heard , long ago, that having balls of tinfoil inside your wheel caps drove the machines wild :unsure:

Not that I EVER (intentionally) break the Limit :driving::angel:

But I thought your car was made of tinfoil and string :rolleyes:

No :D You are getting confused again :blink: Yours is the Aygo. Mine is a Rolla :bangin: :lol2:

Sorry, candle wax and brown paper :crybaby:

Full details here :

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/tinfoil.asp

Oh well, There goes that idea. Thanks Bibbs :thumbsup:

I never actually tried either of them :D I have found that keeping an eye on my Speedometer is the best way, & can recommend it to all :driving::angel_not:

.... All zapping away making my snooper go crazy

What model do you have as I am interested in buying an effective system :huh:

I use a Snooper S3 Neo when not using the camera POI in my TomTom nav. again it flashes L up a lot around here... indicating the Lock On of a camera...

Remember only the GPS radar detectors are the LEGAL type... None GPS ones are ILEGAL... don't get caught out... B) B) B)

Also just installed some nice new SPECS cameras along the M25 J18 to J16 roadworks for the next year or so.....Widening the M25....

.... All zapping away making my snooper go crazy

What model do you have as I am interested in buying an effective system :huh:

I use a Snooper S3 Neo when not using the camera POI in my TomTom nav. again it flashes L up a lot around here... indicating the Lock On of a camera...

Remember only the GPS radar detectors are the LEGAL type... None GPS ones are ILEGAL... don't get caught out... B) B) B)

Also just installed some nice new SPECS cameras along the M25 J18 to J16 roadworks for the next year or so.....Widening the M25....

Another money spinner :angry:

In the UK BOTH are legal! They are passive systems and both are allowed in UK law (for the moment).

In some Euro countries they are illegal (France and Germany for two).

Jammers are ILLEGAL if that is the only use for them - if you use it to open your garage and it just "happens" to jam their signal, it's LEGAL. But if you don't own an auto garage door opener, you'll be in a lot of trouble.

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/radar_detector_law.htm

England, Wales and Northern Ireland

The sale, purchase and installation of a Snooper is perfectly legal. The use of one until recently may have contravened the 1949 Wireless and Telegraphy Act but a judgement of the Queens Bench Divisional Court dated 29th January 1998 makes it clear that the use of Radar Detectors is not unlawful as has hitherto been claimed by some.

----------------

January 2005 Update

At the moment the government are debating making radar detectors illegal, something they have been considering since 1998 when they were proved not to be illegal under the 1949 Wireless & Telegraph Communications Act.

The problem as i see it with speed cameras - is that first of all they only look at one thing (speed) and also they take no account of how a vehicle is driven outside of the cameras range. Ive long despised the Garda checkpoints over here on bank holidays for the exact same reason. :angry:

Take this ever so beautiful sceanario

Two cars go through a speed camera on a good road in a 30 mph zone (like a road leaving a town for instance) - car A is doing 35 mph (on a road where its actually safe to do 35 mph) and Car B is doing 29 mph on the exact same road - Car B gets no ticket - fair enough hes within the limit. But lets suppose car A continues its journey perfectly safely - but 5 miles down the road car B tries to pass out two trucks (ive seen it done) in one go and narrowly avoids an accident (through pure luck). Now car As driver has driven perfectly safely throughout but Car Bs driver has nearly caused an accident because of dangerous driving but its driver A thats getting points on his/her licence.

Checkpoints - they are all very well but my problem is that they do nothing to stop the driver who pulls a dangerous overtake 5 miles down the road - you could get done for road tax been out for two days - yet 5 miles down the road someones passing you and other cars out in one go in a place where its not safe to overtake :(

You can go through a camera at 29mph on the wrong side of the road, while having a beer and a joint, sitting in the passenger seat .. in reverse .. blindfolded .. in your neighbours car, with no tax or MOT.

But do 35 and you are the guilty party.

specs.jpg

A Freedom of Information request to Essex County Council requesting the cost of the A127 Average Speed Camera installation has revealed something very interesting.

In a reply from Elaine Appleby, Senior Road Safety Officer, the total cost of the average speed camera installation was stated as £455,086.

But more interesting by far was the revelation that Essex County Council contributed only £39,860 of the total. The remaining £415,226 was paid by a company headquartered in the area, Keymed Ltd.

Quite why a private sponsor is being used to fund speed camera installations isn't explained but this does raise a number of questions which we will endeavour to obtain answers for.

What next, Redlight cameras sponsored by Brembo? Perhaps we'll see speed cameras covered in advertising or sponsor logos as some already are in Dubai?

See comments HERE

Not 450 000 for one single camera surely what the :censor: .

No wonder they are so mad to catch people with them - have to say though that the £455 000 figure mentioned would go a long way towards buying a Volvo T5 or 3 and some sensible top notch traffic cops with serious levels of common sense to crew said Volvos - sir or ma,am could even order them unmarked for increased effectiveness. The cameras these T5 police cars are normally fitted are great for recording any dangerous driving that comes into view too - what do others think.

Not 450 000 for one single camera surely what the :censor: .

No wonder they are so mad to catch people with them - have to say though that the £455 000 figure mentioned would go a long way towards buying a Volvo T5 or 3 and some sensible top notch traffic cops with serious levels of common sense to crew said Volvos - sir or ma,am could even order them unmarked for increased effectiveness. The cameras these T5 police cars are normally fitted are great for recording any dangerous driving that comes into view too - what do others think.

SPECS is not just one camera but a series of many... dependant on the stretch of road they are used on...They normally detect you at the start going past the first then have a set distance and speed measure to the next. if you pass the second camera and exceed the guidelines of that speed area... BINGO NIP through your letter box 14 days later.... wanting your license for the points and a fee (dependant on how fast you where doing) Also worth noting SPECS have ANPR ability so not only get you for speeding but also tax, insurance as well....Hence why so many crooks steal number plates to use....so not to get nabbed but the poor unsuspecting person who was cloned.... Thats why it's always worth asking to see the photo evidence and date details of said offence.....

M25 has plenty of SPECS cameras around it now... normally always on big yellow gantry poles....

Chatman sorry for misunderstanding your post that had the £455 000 figure quoted in it - the reply from Elaine Appleby that your refferred to i mean. So the cameras are average speed cameras - sorry i thought that it was the average cost of supplying, installing and staffing needs for one camera that was being quoted.

Which was silly on my part - theres no way one camera could cost that much :(

However im wondering just how many cameras were provided for that £455 000 - from your last post i am of the understanding is that a particular road could have quite a number of these cameras

Hopefully i won't be making anymore daft comments

regards

• 3 weeks later...

In case any off you have been caught or know of any......

gatso_fail.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Traffic Order for a GATSO speed camera on the A35 in Chideock, Dorset was found to be invalid following a test case and as a result, more than 24,000 drivers may have to be refunded.

The Traffic Order referred to a road that did not exist and now authorities are left facing a £1.5 million bill to repay the fines collected from motorists convicted by the camera.

But rather than take immediate action to cancel the convictions and issue refunds, Dorset Safety Camera Partnership are to review individual cases claiming that as some drivers had admitted speeding they would not wish to seek a refund!

Given that it is near impossible to defend speeding charges unless you can afford risking a large amount of money of legal advisers, the vast majority of motorists would of course admit to the charge rather than choosing to fight it in court.

A similar case in Cheshire last year saw the partnership there contact every motorist and issue immediate refunds and revocation of fines. Why Dorset are not acting in the same manner is inexcusable.

Link to page HERE

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links