Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Common Rail Engine And Bio?

benjamin Lambert

Hi guys!

I'm a brand new member here, also part of a biodiesel group near where I live. One of our guys has mailed me asking If he can run on more than 5% bio, he's running a one year old toyota with the above engine, unfortunately i can't tell you the model of car he has as I've not had that info yet. Is there anyone running bio through these engines at a higher percentage? My motor is a direct injection and runs sweet on the stuff but with common rail, some do, some don't.

I'd be grateful for your help and I do apologize for the lack on car info but should get more soon.

If the car is only 1 year old I would be asking the dealer for a letter from Toyota stating the type of fuel the car can use otherwise there may be issues with the warranty.

They will almost certainly state EN590 max 5% Bio mix, if the injectors fail (whilst in warranty) and the Diesel is found to be the wrong grade they will do their very best to avoid paying out! I dont think its worth the risk.

Have a look here:

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php one of the best uk bio based forums imo.

BUt with good well made bio to EN570 (i think) in common rails shouldnt be a problem the issues with injectors is down to poor bio and having excess water or methonal in the finished product. Also possible have some cold start issues depending on the bio quality and how cold it is.

Other main issue is does the car have a DPF as bio isnt that good with, also if there is a DPF if it 5th injector driven in which bio isnt such a good option as it will contaminate your engine oil.

I have been running cars on veg/ bio for a few yrs and I wouldnt stick Bio in any car still under warrenty (unless it was warrentied for it like citeron and peugoets were up to 30% bio or VW used to make a factory add on pack to make the car 100% bio compatable).

SO as the car is under warrenty I would say stick only what the manual says in it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links