Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reliability Info?

brndn

hello, :help:

my '84 300zx is now to junk status, and i'm looking to buy a new car. the mr2 is on the top of my list :drool: .

how's the reliability? I heard something about the engine's going out (like cylinder 1 or 3 or something). What is the expected mileage you can get out of an N/A engine and Turbo engine?

thanks

Toyotas are renouned for the reliability and long lasting engines....assuming you have a resonably good condition 3sge or 3sgte then you could happily expect anywhere up to 200,000 km's with little or no issues......obviously depending on how seriously you mod. Your not keen on the mid 90's TT 300zx's??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Didn't you see Top Gear with the !Removed! great truck they just couldn't kill? Testament to Toyota engineering, that is! :eek:

Nothing's gone wrong with my MR2... B)

Coz I've only had it about a week and it's been snowing for most of it :ffs: :rolleyes:

But seriously, get one :D

Mid engine, RWD, nice and fast, comfortable, and a right old !Removed! magnet to boot :thumbsup:

Mid engine, RWD, nice and fast, comfortable, and a right old !Removed! magnet to boot :thumbsup:

hear, hear :D

I'm sticking w. the 2 from now on. Got a n/a atm, gonna be gettin a tubby after.

Reliable as f**k!

-Z

Extremely reliable as long as they are regularly serviced - i.e. oil changes, plug changes etc. You can do a lot of the servicing yourself so there's no excuse :). I've had mine for five years, all thats gone wrong is the Temp sender and Intercooler fan sensor. Not bad really is it?

KiwiMR2, I like them, just not their price :)

200km with a turbo? How long should an n/a last...200km for an n/a doesn't seem all that great. But still, that's not good news since I can't find any in my price range ($6500 USD) with under 200km :crybaby: (only about 15km a year...which seems fairly low).

Dame, not bad at all.

Actually I know of a N/A that did over 200,000 miles (approx 320000 km) before finally giving up the ghost, then it was down to a knackered engine, the rest of the car was still ok.

do you know how it was driven (lightly/hard/crazy)? :)

I got my Gen II turbo with about 128,000 km's UNMODIFIED.....drove it quite hard and did exhaust, a bit or boost, clutch, bov etc I drove it to about 165,000 km's and the current owner has lowered it and is nearing 200,000 km's and it's still going fine. Oh I had to replace the alternator + water pump.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

My MR2 has been very reliable. Its up to almost 106000 miles and I feel there is plenty of life left in the car.

Just remember that the more performance enhancing mods you do to the car, can make it quicker but hinder reliability.

If the car is kept close to standard, then it should last a very long time.

As mentioned earlier, Toyotas are well built.

Go for it.

well, I did it! I bought the mr2! :yes:

I love it.

Need to take it out to a parking lot and figure out this whole oversteer thing. :wacko:

well, I did it! I bought the mr2! :yes:

I love it.

Need to take it out to a parking lot and figure out this whole oversteer thing. :wacko:

Sweet :D what type did ya get?? details!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

As stated MR2's as per the large majority of Toyota's are extremely reliable, quick a few are traced with well over 200k on the clock and still going strong, I guess with any ca it is just how much care has been taken of the car and how well you look after it.

My UK GTcar has 124k miles on, that equates to 198,400 km and is still going strong......it'll stuff my G Ltd in a head to head every time and that has 64,000 km on it !!!

Think I'll service it at 125K and it'll go for another 100k !!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links