Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corrrrr There Ain't Half Some Cissys On The Road!

Funkadelic

Went out in the Golf this morning (sod going in the 2) at about 9:30.

Getting off my drive was quite tricky (it's a big gap but there are cars all over the place and I didn't fancy sliding into one of them) but aside from that, owing to the massive amounts of traction at the front wheels I made my way in to town unhindered (and doing about 20mph over ths speed limit)... Until I got stuck behind some numpty in another Golf crawling along at about 5mph even though the road we were on had been in heavy use since about 6AM and had only the vaguest hint of ice on it.

Of course, had I been driving the MR2 I probably would've been the same, but then I'm new to this RWD malarkey. ;)

I'm not saying everybody should do 20mph over the speed limit at all times, but some people really do cross the line and end up on the "pathetic" side of "nice and sensible."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fidgits

• Funkadelic

• Steve

• Yarisboy

Best to be careful.

Some people have never driven in these conditions before.

Lots of people get scared with a little ice and take it slow.

I drove to work today at a max of 23mph (on a road I usually do 60mph) and I didn't care, but the roads were slush/ice the whole way. I didn't hold up anyone.

Be patient.

That's understandable though.

The road I was on is completely thawed and completely dry. As I said cars have been driving up and down it all morning, and the sun is out - The only ice on the roads is right by the kerb!

Ive been driving on the motorway to work in the mornings at 6:00.

Ive been going slow in the 2 and there are Audi's etc in the fast lane who are still belting along as if it were a dry sunny day.

Some people are obviously prepared to try their luck against black ice etc and see who wins. Me, I just stick on the CD player sit back and cruise to work B)

I disagree completley here...

Firstly, doing 20mph over the limit in any bad weather, IMO makes you an idiot..

And hey, you might think the road is clear, but you could hit a patch of black ice in the shade, and then you'd be stuffed!

I hate people like that in this weather, you have to drive carefully, and be prepared to lose all traction, and numptys race around thinking their shcumacher...

No need to get personal here!

What I am saying is although I was well over the speed limit, which I agree is generally neither big or clever in most instances, I was able to drive perfectly safely, being in control and without being a risk to anybody. If I was driving along the A3 I would be considerably more careful. Please don't think I'm some sort of reckless hooligan because I'm not.

If I didn't know said road like the back of my hand I would've been going slower, but by no means would I be driving at one eighth of the actual speed limit.

Exercise caution when neccesary by all means but there certainly was no need whatsoever to be pootling along at 5mph. That, in theory, is just as dangerous as driving too fast to be able to control your vehicle.

Damn pain in the **** last night, just barely got out of junctions.... :D even in 2nd and 3rd, the back just gently drifts lol This morning was fine for me, just drive slightly restrained.... brake early and use the gears more. Until i got onto unused roads then its back to sliping and sliding YEY!!!!!

No need to get personal here!

What I am saying is although I was well over the speed limit, which I agree is generally neither big or clever in most instances, I was able to drive perfectly safely, being in control and without being a risk to anybody.  If I was driving along the A3 I would be considerably more careful.  Please don't think I'm some sort of reckless hooligan because I'm not. 

Okay, please let me explain... it wasnt a personal attack as such (although i was shocked at your comments)

You said you were on the A3, so I am assuming you were doing 80mph on a 60mph road.

Now, im not disagreeing, if the road has been gritted and well used, then 5mph is very dangerous, but IMO, doing 80 is sheer stupidity. Personally, I would be doing around 40/50mph if i felt the road was grippy enough.

Just because you know the road, and most is fine, doesnt mean you wont hit black ice, and suddenly be sliding at 80mph with no traction.

What annoys me the most, are these people in SUV's that go flying down roads, yes you have 4wd, but your car weighs 2 tonne, and if you hit ice, you aint gonna stop, and you will simply decssimate anything in your path..

I think we should all exercise caution in this weather, and yes, perhaps the 5mph was a bit extreme if the road was fine, but at the end of the day, if we were all a bit more cautious, the roads would be a lot safer...

Just 2 cents

I think admitting going 20 mph over the speed limit in this weather is gonna get you flamed mate.. I too thought that was a bit daft.

I don't think it's right to be verbally abusing people because they went over the speed limit.

Funkadelic is obviously a car enthusiast or else he wouldn't be here, and as such he should have a better understanding of road conditions and how to drive than most others on the road. and before anyone starts, NO that does not mean i'm saying I aplaud him for doing 80 in a 60.

Fact of the matter is, you didn't see the road he was on, you don't know how heavily it was gritted, if the sun was shining on it, how much snow there was, what the temperature was, etc etc etc etc etc. There's a million factors that go into deciding how much grip ur car has on any certain day.

80mph in all honesty was pushing far more than I would dare in sub zero conditions, but verbally abusing someone whom u know nothing about.... is a bit much for me.

I'm sure funkadelic isn't daft, he wouldn't have done 80 if the conditions weren't right, and those flaming him know nothing of the conditions.... so i'll leave it at that.

Sam.

I had this same conversation with my mate last night.

I said "Man people ***** me off driving like they have just passed there tests, it's only snow"

he said "yep you southern wimps have no idea about real snow when I lived in Scotland this would be nothing it's only snowed for about 2 hours any you people have forgotten how to drive"

I think the point I am trying to make is just because it snow's does not mean we all forget how to drive a car!!!! Funkadelic if you did go 20mph over the speed limit you said you where heading into town I assume you took the motorway? If so it has been gritted? What’s the problem? I drove the m25 and the M40/A40 this morning? In the new 40mph bit I did 40mph but after that I did my normal speed? What’s the problem? Again I agree with you if the road has been used why would you not put your foot down?

Don’t let this turn into another "I HAVE NEVER GONE OVER 70MPH" thread please!!! I KNOW TOC DOES NOT CONDONE SPEEDING BUT SOME TIMES I THINK PEOPLE NEED TO CHILL AND STOP PRETENDING THAT THEY DONT EVER BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT

I wasnt verbally abusing Funkadelic, I was simply stating my point of view, that in snow & ice, i think its safer to go below the speed limit rather than above it..

It was actually 60 in a 40, recently resurfaced, quiet (well, except during rush hour when it's packed solid) and very straight road which I know very well, and like I said there was NO ice on the road, and that was pretty obvious to me. :)

I don't think I'd have the balls or be stupid enough to do 80 in a 60 at the best of times unless it was a very straight, very visible road with little to no traffic about.

I think the people who get all upset about speed limits need to just relax and drink some malibu...

it's seriously easy going. :)

i diddnt mean he was Daft.. I meant it was daft posting that and expect to get a pat on the back...

I think fidgits has a very valid point. Southern or not... it wold be a different post if he had killed someone because he wanted to drive a lil faster

The person doing 5mph was obviusly worried.. I would not hang out the window calling the bloke a pillock.. afterall he is the one who will get to work safely... how do we know this person did not have a baby on the back seat?

In the world of driving, there are always going to be people who want to drive faster than other, and some slower than others.

If everyone did 50mph for example everywhere we would get places a lot quicker!!

my point is, you can't stop human nature... whether it be a sunny hot day, or an icey cold miserable snowy day.

People will always speed, break the rules, etc etc

You can't keep everyone happy.

I do agree that he shouldn't have expected a pat on the back but everyone was so quick to judge him!!!

Not trying to offend anyone here, only i've been subject to a few horrendous flames myself and know what it feels like to be condemmed for no good reason.

If there was a baby in the back seat then it would have been more at risk due to the higher chance of somebody who wasn't paying much attention to the road ahead slamming into the back of them.

The road has a 40 limit because there is one very small, residental road coming off it. If it wasn't for that road I'm certain it would be a 60mph limit anyway. The reason for my stating I was doing 20mph over the limit was merely to illustrate that if I can quite safely drive down that road at 60mph, there is no excuse for driving at 5mph because that IS dangerous, should somebody approaching the vehicle from behind not be paying attention.

There is law abiding driving and there is safe driving within your own limits. Sometimes these can become two completely different things (although it still isn't justified in the eyes of the law, of course).

what do you expect?

Hey i did 20 mph over the spped limit in icy conditions.. it wasnt icy.. i got out of the car and inspected the road myself!

So we are all supposed to clap or is this a forum of opinions?.. I gacve my opinion and so did Fidgits but we were the ones that are wrong??

I wasnt 'flaming' him, I wasnt even attacking him, my gripe is with a majority of drivers, and i was simply making my point of view known...

People do drive in snow and ice like there is nothing wrong (oh, and I aint a southerner, i learnt to drive in Cumbria :P ), and I have had a couple of scary experiences on ice myself (which i have posted on here before).

I just feel, when we have bad weather, especially snow and ice, it is our responsibility as drivers to exercise a little caution, after all, you skid on ice, your car becomes a 1 tonne uncontrolable lump of metal capable of causing death or serious injury..

Now, we've all been stuck behind grandparents on a sunday drive, or caravans, and yes it is frustrating, and in this weather, there are a lot of people who do drive a lot slower, but as frustrating as it is when someone is being over-cautious, remember, its better to be 5 minutes late in this life, than 20 years early in the next...

Well, at least this thread has sparked a bit of a debate for a change!

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

I'm quite enjoying this actually :thumbsup:

away lads, flamin' on these boards? :huh:

i'm not gonna say nething to add fuel to this debate really, just that i kinda understand where funk's comin from. If the guy was doind 5mph in a 40 zone i'd say that was pretty bad on his behalf and the least he coulda done was drive closer to the kerb to let others pass him.

This reminds me of my irritations at people doing 30 in a 50 zone on a perfect day, sigh...

Oh and one thing i gotta say against u funky, this shoulda bin in the general topics :P

there i balanced it out, one for and one against :)

haha

-Z

I dont even really care about what speed people were going at.. I am merely stating that if you post anything here expect people to have different opinions.

Funkadelic.. Dont think I was having a go at you fella... just the arguments between whats right or wrong always come about in forums.

I tell you what.. about 10 years ago i was nearly killed when a car driving down the road by some pillock went outta control and was heading right for me... I had to run like a bat outta hell... if it wasnt for the parked car in the way I would have been mushy peas

The bloke was driving too fast in bad conditions.

After punching the blokes window he scarpered.. i got the plate details and he was arrested for legging it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links