Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corrrrr There Ain't Half Some Cissys On The Road!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic.. Dont think I was having a go at you fella... just the arguments between whats right or wrong always come about in forums.

No worries, mate!

:thumbsup:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fidgits

• Funkadelic

• Steve

• Yarisboy

It was actually 60 in a 40, recently resurfaced, quiet (well, except during rush hour when it's packed solid) and very straight road which I know very well, and like I said there was NO ice on the road, and that was pretty obvious to me. :)

I don't think I'd have the balls or be stupid enough to do 80 in a 60 at the best of times unless it was a very straight, very visible road with little to no traffic about.

The road has a 40 limit because there is one very small, residental road coming off it. If it wasn't for that road I'm certain it would be a 60mph limit anyway. The reason for my stating I was doing 20mph over the limit was merely to illustrate that if I can quite safely drive down that road at 60mph, there is no excuse for driving at 5mph because that IS dangerous, should somebody approaching the vehicle from behind not be paying attention.

Okay, a little scenario for you...

Lets assume that yes, the road is gritted and clear, and that the grip level is the same as, say light rain. (fair assumption?) As you said, there was only ice at the edges.

Now, you also said that the reason it was 40mph was due to a side road, due to a small residential road, by which, i think we can assume, was not gritted.

So, still working on a theorictal situation, the side road is icy, someone approaches the junction, reasonably carefully, but hits sheet ice (generated by the snow/ice being pushed off the main road) as he is braking for the junction. He slids straight over the junction with no control, and blocks both lanes...

You are approaching at 60mph, and have a car blocking both lanes...

And taken from this university research at 60mph you will travel 18m before you react, and take a further 72m to stop. (in optimal conditions) which means you will travel 100m between the above incident and you stopping.....

So, if the theoritical incident occured when you were further than 100m from the junction, then you could of safely stopped/slowed while the other driver sorted himself out.

However, if you were less than 100m from the junction....

Nice little debate going on here... All I'm going to add is that I personally crawled to work this morning, and was extremely agitated by a lorry that insisted on driving up my **** as I went through town. True the roads looked pretty clear.... but there were patches of Black ice and I for one doidn't want to kill myself, though arguably having a large 7 tonner in my back probably wouldn't have helped matters.

As for the speeding in bad weather conditions - it's dangerous don't do it. If the road is clear etc. well it's not as bad.... of course you shouldn't do it at all really - but then we are know this as law abiding citizens ;)

fidgits,

your theory is ..... in theory pretty solid, but things don't happen on paper (as the saying goes).

let's say he was travelling at 40mph complying to the road speed limit, however the guy at the side road crawls out slips on the ice, blocks both lanes.....

and then what happens if you're already too close the junction to stop in time even at 40mph? you go into the guy same as you would at 60mph!

and to progress the thought further, if he was travelling at 60 from the start of that road... and he passes the side road before the other guy slides out and blocks both lanes... he's then been travelling fast enough to avoid an accident all together!

driving is all about odds and chances, and while you can reduce your own risk of an accident you can only control others actions to certain limited extents.

In theory... doesn't mean alot on the roads

Yes, there are theoretical disaster situations. I can't deny that, but there are ALWAYS potential disaster situations as far as driving, or even crossing the street, is concerned. Theoretically that whole incident could have happened earlier or later in the day to somebody travelling at 35mph who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, when I was at home.

Everything we do in cars is based on carefully assessed and calculated risks. If anybody wants to be perfectly safe they should stay indoors! Sometimes people do take unneccesary risks, but only idiots take uninformed, unneccesary risks where the odds aren't firmly stacked in their favour. I never claimed to be a perfect driver but then who can honestly say they are?

I never claimed to be a perfect driver but then who can honestly say they are?

I am dude :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I just don’t go out on a Tuesday at 8pm during a full moon while Venus is in conjunction with mars wearing a hat; in a yellow car I have heard that odds are I will have an accident :lol::lol::lol:

If you get bored driving so slowly in the snow have you considered cracking open a can of Stella or two to pass the time? :thumbsup:

and then what happens if you're already too close the junction to stop in time even at 40mph? you go into the guy same as you would at 60mph!

you dont hit the other car so hard... does that answer the question? :shutit:

If you get bored driving so slowly in the snow have you considered cracking open a can of Stella or two to pass the time? 

Cans of Stella while driving - are you mad ???

Bottles are so much easier cause you don't need to look where the hole is when concentrating .. and you can hold a bottle in your mouth while you unwrap a ginsters ..

sposed to strap the ginsters to the top of your engine so it is nice and hot by the time you get to work!

Bottles are so much easier cause you don't need to look where the hole is when concentrating ..

Also unlike a cup of tea/coffee if you spill it you wont get burnt :thumbsup:

you dont hit the other car so hard... does that answer the question? :!Removed!:

Yeah, and it also only takes 48 metres to stop from 40mph (taken from same research)..

So if you were doing the speed limit, your stopping distance would be 1/2 that of what you were doing....

And yes, i know there are loads of variables in the equation, but i was making a point...

If you get bored driving so slowly in the snow have you considered cracking open a can of Stella or two to pass the time? 

Cans of Stella while driving - are you mad ???

Bottles are so much easier cause you don't need to look where the hole is when concentrating .. and you can hold a bottle in your mouth while you unwrap a ginsters ..

:lol: Yeah, and its much easier to hold a bottle in the same hand as a ciggie, so you can answer your phone/eat a pasty/have a shave at the same time :lol:

...whilst doing 20 over the speed limit in sub zero conditions... :blink:

No mate never speed and drink. You need to be going at a nice steady rate so that if you decide to take your heavy t-top glass off whilst in motion, there is less chance of spilling your beer as you turn to look behind you to try and get the panels behind the seats. Safety first mate, safety first.

No mate never speed and drink. You need to be going at a nice steady rate so that if you decide to take your heavy t-top glass off whilst in motion, there is less chance of spilling your beer as you turn to look behind you to try and get the panels behind the seats. Safety first mate, safety first.

rofl, best crack i've from u in a while snake :P

-Z

rofl, best crack i've from u in a while snake :P

-Z

dont wanna be nasty and revert this thread back to the heated debate, BUT,......

there are a lot of roads in the uk with stupid speed limits i.e 30mph on infirmary road - hillsborough - sheffield.

massive dual and at some places 3 lane carriageway - no residential, hardly any industrial, and enough traffic lights every 2 yards to slow you anyway. this should be at least 40, and similar (more built up roads in sheffield are actually 60)!

the speed camera on this road is just proof that they are trying to grab some easy money from people.

p.s there is no speed limit on the german autobahn, and apparently there are less accidents on that, than on our motorways.

More accidents and more horrific deaths on autobhans. You pull into the wrong lane and bam - hit at 300000mph. Gotta hurt.

Nice.

dont wanna be nasty and revert this thread back to the heated debate, BUT,......

there are a lot of roads in the uk with stupid speed limits i.e 30mph on infirmary road - hillsborough - sheffield.

massive dual and at some places 3 lane carriageway - no residential, hardly any industrial, and enough traffic lights every 2 yards to slow you anyway. this should be at least 40, and similar (more built up roads in sheffield are actually 60)!

the speed camera on this road is just proof that they are trying to grab some easy money from people.

p.s there is no speed limit on the german autobahn, and apparently there are less accidents on that, than on our motorways.

actually i think youll find there is a limit

however from what I have heard it is based on what other people are driving at.. so if everyone is driving 90 and keeping with the flow then thats the safest!

I do believe that speeds in excess of 100mph are permitted, but are very much frowned upon. So 90 is probably about as fast as most peeps get.

You pull into the wrong lane and bam - hit at 300000mph

But I'd have to slow down to get hit at that speed .. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links