Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glanza Turbo Buying Help?

marky89

hi guys, iv been looking at a glaza turbo with over 200bhp, so as u guess it is highly modifyed. it has been compltely rebuilt. The guy is asking £5K for it, is this a reasonable price for a 1998 model, and how much will it be worth in 3 years time, cos by then il be wanting a different car.

can u give me any advice on buying the car and what to look out for?

and what type of mpg wil i be expected to see with amount of bhp.

thanks.

£5k seems reasonable, depending on general condition.

Would cost more to buy a Glanza and mod it to over 200bhp anyhow.

MPG, how hard will you be pressing the loud pedal?!?! If you want decent fuel economy then buy a standard one, if its running over 200bhp then yes its going to gollop the fuel.

With regards to selling it on, Glanzas are getting very common now so prices are falling. I doubt you will make any more selling it in 3 years, probably about the same you paid now, alot more if you take the go faster bits off and sell them seperatly.

What power is it actually running?? 201 or 299, both are over 200!!!

Standard internals won't take much over 200 so has it been forged? Also why are they selling? Lots of people sell on cars like this when they discover how much it costs to run them at a high level of tune, things start to break and they end up having enough with the car.

Have you got a link to the sale mate, I should be able to help you a bit more then.

hi, thanks for replying mate, here is the link for the car.

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/cardetails/toy...08/GLANZA1.html

im no sure the exact BHP, iv got to get it mapped as well. so it will be definatly be over 200BHP.

iv not got a great job and im only 20, so im not sure if i can afford to run one with this much BHP but im really wanting a car with alot more pull than what i have now. and this will do the job nicely.

and yes it has been forged, it has went through a complete rebuild.

Firstly thats not a Glanza, its a UK spec Starlet with an engine conversion. So expect the insurance to be quite high, most insurers don't like engine swaps!!

You need to know who built the engine and when it was done, it could be coming up to be opened up and freshened up.

I can't see on the spec list what ecu it has, bear in mind that a mapping session can be £300 thats providing theres a mappable ecu already with the car. Something like an Apexi power FC will cost around £400-£600 + mapping so theres nearly a grand before you start.

What car have you got atm mate?? I would imagine that if your 20 it'll be something like a 1.2 corsa or something?? Jumping from that to something like this will end in tears. I had a Starlet GT Turbo when I was 19, had a 1.0 Micra before that and the difference was massive.

Your insurance, even with 3 years NCB will be high on that car, even a standard Glanza will be fairly pricey. If your paying monthly and assuming you've got a clean licence and max NCB for your age you'll be looking at around £70-£100 a month TPFT for a standard Glanza. Plus then you've got running costs, tax is low, fuel isn't to bad, about £35 to fill a tank which should last 250 miles if driven sensibly. Oil and filter every 5k plus any parts that need replacing and all that before you start modifying it.

TBH mate I would look at a standard Glanza, get a good one and treat it right and it'll last forever, most of these high tuned cars from Japan end up being money pits.

hi mate, thanks alot for all your input,

this car is not an import so the insurance is not as high as you might expect. im not sure about the ecu but i know if i get it iv got to get it mapped to handle al the mods. but that does not bother me to much.

i currently have a 1.4 206. which is ok but far to slow for me.

i know the people who built this car, they are called envy performace and live near me, so the car has a gd background.

has this car definatly had and engine converison or has the standard engine just been highly modded.

i know there is not any rust issuse with the car as it has been undersealed and iv been to check i out. i would be basicaly getting this car for £4K as the guy is just wanting to swap cars with me, and my car is only worth 4K now. so im thinking its not to bad of a deal n i will only need to spend a little bit of money on it to get it running perfectly.

iv getting and insurance quote with the mods declared as £1200 a year, thats paying monthly.

Its defo had an engine swap mate, uk starlets never got the 4efte (turbo engine). I highly doubt that someone would bother to turbo the standard engine and then modify like that. What liilte problems does it have?? Lots of little niggles generally run into bigger things.

Also that car has drums on the back, might want to see about a disc conversion with 200bhp+!!!

As I say if its not got a mappable ecu then you've got to factor in at least another grand for buying one and mapping it.

I would be round that car with a fine tooth combe and be going through every bit of paper work to make sure everything has been 100%, if you can take someone with you who knows Starlets, might be worth signing up to a few dedicated Starlet sites like uk starlet club and toyota gt turbo.

Good luck with it B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links