Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunking Noise Toyota Rav4 2002 Model

Ara

Hi, Since last two years my car makes a clunking noise from the rear. Several times I had to check underneath, unfortunately couldn't see anything that would make that noise. It comes somethimes when I brake (low speed). I would like to get it fixed, so your advice would appreciated

ara :crybaby:

You don't say wether your Rav is petrol or diesel. So assuming its diesel and has disc brakes at rear, It may be wear/play in

the pins/calipers of your brakes. This can give a clunking noise as the play is taken up when you press the brake pedal.

You don't say wether your Rav is petrol or diesel. So assuming its diesel and has disc brakes at rear, It may be wear/play in

the pins/calipers of your brakes. This can give a clunking noise as the play is taken up when you press the brake pedal.

Mine makes a slight "click" noise when I revers and press the brakes the first time....

Hi, Since last two years my car makes a clunking noise from the rear. Several times I had to check underneath, unfortunately couldn't see anything that would make that noise. It comes somethimes when I brake (low speed). I would like to get it fixed, so your advice would appreciated

Mine did the same.

Turned out to be a broken rear spring. I drove around for 12 months without any problems until my local garage spotted it during a routine service.

My rav 4 is petrol and the strange part is that the nois doesn't come each time the brake pedal is pressed. Moveover today the feeling was that the noise comes from the middle?

My rav 4 is petrol and the strange part is that the nois doesn't come each time the brake pedal is pressed. Moveover today the feeling was that the noise comes from the middle?

Have you checked the exhaust mountings / fixings?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked the exhaust mountings / fixings?

Checked no problems at all

I couldn't find any problems with the rear springs :help:

Should I leave as it is or something has to be done? if so then what? Thanks in advance for your help

Its very important to check the rear pads as Dave says. They sit on a very small register in the caliper and with time they will wear and allow the pads to move quite considerably as you can see in this photo;

IMG_1732-1.jpg

If that doesn't work have a look at the rear mount cushion in this diagram;

rear_axle.pdf

It restrains the brake and accelerating force on the axle. They are not too expensive and very easy to change. Just support the front end of the axle to stop it from turning and undo the fixing bolts.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

The rear brakes on my wife's '02 petrol Rav have been clunking for ages as well. I changed the discs, pads and handdbrake shoes yesterday just as some general maintenance. I can see decent-sized gaps between the caliper and the pads. They're big enough that I didn't really need to bother putting copper grease on the edges of the pads! We normally get the noise the first time that we brake for the first time when going forwards after we've reversed off the drive and braked. I guess that it's fairly obvious that the pads are moving 'down' in the claiper when we brake in reverse and then moving 'up' in the caliper when we brake going forwards.

Rather than splash out on a pair of new calipers, I'm thinking of using a shim of stainless steel to remove most of the play - but still letting the pads slide to and fro. Anyone tried this?

no. I changed the front calipers but am blessed with only rear brake shoes.

?avoid reversing then using the brakes? :wacko:

Not wanting to put a 'damper' on things but will stainless steel and cast iron work well together? What if the shim rusts and then causes the pads to stick, leading to pad material transferance? Would you not just be better leaving as is and turn the radio up??

I tried various means of eliminating the play in the rear calipers but eventually changed them for new ones which worked. The came in blue point boxes but were brand new and axactly the same as the OE complet with all the shims and clips etc. They were about £60 exchange.

I tried various means of eliminating the play in the rear calipers but eventually changed them for new ones which worked. The came in blue point boxes but were brand new and axactly the same as the OE complet with all the shims and clips etc. They were about £60 exchange.

Would that be Tidal Blue boxes....or signal box (red) blue :lol: For £60, its a cheap enough fix tho!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, need to start saving the pennies then. So far I've got;

Possible new claipers for the RAV

New O2 sensor for the RAV

Timing belt change and all the associated gubbins for my MG. It's got three timing belts to change. Lovely.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links