Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Out There Have This Problem?

Mister2

I bought a 91 mr2 with a 3sgte swap in it. it has about 5000 miles on it now and it runs great, however, it has a little ticking noise. at idle, its not a smooth rumble, it jes sort of ticks. not like a big old thud.. but a continuous tick... anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know what it could be and how i might be able to fix it?

We have one but you can only hear it when you are stood on the d/side of the car , it was there when we got her 2 years ago can't find it and now just live with it as it as not gone any louder.

I had a guy in with this problem, turned out his exhaust manifold had worked itself lose and started to make a clicking noise - strange but true!

Matt. :thumbsup:

I had a guy in with this problem, turned out his exhaust manifold had worked itself lose and started to make a clicking noise - strange but true!

Matt. :thumbsup:

My way to get rid of it was to get a Mongoose from you :drool:

now we can't hear it for the MONIE :rolleyes:

i hate to point out the obvious but it isnt a tappet or cam sound you're hearing is it?

you say the sound is at idle, does it speed up at revs (which could indicate tappets, or maybe one of the belts is rubbing or slapping against another object - perhaps a plastic cover?

air con belt?

u havent been near any iraqi or afghanistani terrorists lately have ya? :D

Isnt it the injectors that make the ticking sound too? Also its worth pointing out that the belt theory is a very good one.. one of my own belts made a tick tick tick sound. I replaced both and it went away..it was audible only around the drivers side vent.

My guess is exhaust manifold leak.....is it worse when the car is first turned on and it either goes or is quiter once it's warmed up??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

hey guys.. thank u for all ur input... umm.. hey kiwi... the ticking is jes faster when i start it.. its the same tick sound.. it doesnt sound like its different when i start it.. mm.. and for the belts.. the last owner said they replaced all the belts.. hmm... tappets.. im guessing it means lifters? i dunnoe... ill have to check those too.. looks like i have a project this weekend! :lol: ill take all this into consideration though.. once again.. thank u guys.. its good to know that theres a strong MR2 community in this Honda filled world :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links