Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One More Thing For Jimlad To Spend His Dolla On!

DeusMR2

just been reading the amercian mr2 board n came across a topic about external wastegates...

i'll let the video do the rest of the explanation :D

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg878q/mr2dr...rivefastcar.mpg

i have no clue whether its good or bad for your engine or how much..(but what does that matter :P) ,perhaps someone else will fill us in on this....

Wastegates basically perform the same role as BOVs - to relieve boost pressure from turbos, thus stopping them from going bang.

Quite how you'd plumb in an external wastegate I don't know.

WOW!

I take it it's just for turbo'd engines?

yep only for a turbo uynfortunatley

the wastegate is a valve which lets exhaust gases from the cylinders bypass the turbo, thus preventing the turbo spinning too fast and blowing up. In the stock setup the wastegate opens up and lets the extra air flow back into the exhaust system and out the back pipes, whereas in an external setup the extra exhaust pressure is vented straight to the atmosphere like a bov.

i know of a company called turbosmart that sell them for £320,not sure but think they are fairly straight forward to fit.

yea they make a cool hiss hiss hiss hiss sound ive got loads of mpegs of skylines and supras with it sounds great on shifts. I dont think there would be any room for one in a tubby tho. And theres really no need for it unless your pushin MEGA power.

there obviously is room ( due to the mpg file )... also of course there's a reason for it !!

It sounds mental... lol !!

Anyone know of where to get one from ?? Stevemr2.. any more info ?

I would possibly get this done instead of the BOV.

do these have the same potential fuelling issues as a BOV with AFM ??

i doubt it since all the wastegate does is allow the exhaust flow to bypass the turbo when the compressor outlet pressure gets too high. The only "problem" i woud see with an external wastegate would be if it was of good quality! If it breaks, your turbo will speed up faster and faster until it blows up! :o so as with most things car related, the quality is important.

• 11 months later...

i dont think so cos of the way the wastegate is fixed up. I saw a custom one on the american board yesterday though, i think in the diy section

I remember talkin about this on an old post with the same vid(couldve been another forum was ages ago). I mentioned how im bored of the patish..the ricer in me want wastegate chatter. Its strange because with certain cars such as scoobies and skylines you can hear the wastegate chattering through the induction kit and these cars run internal wastegates also like our tubbys. I even heard it on a Glanza Turbo ffs! I guess its down to turbo design.

If you wanna get an external you have to get a bigger turbo jimladdo tis the only proper way to do it. Hey heres your excuse to get that HKS GT285 thingy turbo!

Wastegates basically perform the same role as BOVs - to relieve boost pressure from turbos, thus stopping them from going bang.

Not correct :blink: ....

A BOV relieves boost pressure from the charge piping when the vaccuum/boost level in the system changes considerably (ie, when you change gear).

A wastegate does the job of an actuator - regulate boost level, and make sure that the turbo does not overboost.

The wastegate "scene" in america is a lot bigger, because more people do custom turbo conversions, whereas in this country, most people take an already turbocharged car, and make it faster.

In order to fit an external wastegate - you'll need to weld a wastegate flange onto the exhaust manifold before the air reaches the turbo, and weld up the actuator flapper in the turbo, and ditch the actuator.

Hope that helps..

Ben

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links